Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Words we mustn't utter or type or probably even think

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Any swear word with a random prefix or suffix bolted on to it in an attempt to make the user seem... interesting, I guess?

Cockwomble, wankpuffin, thunderc*nt etc etc. :sick:

You're just a soppy old-fashioned shitweasel. :lolol::bigwave:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There aren't any words that you're simply not allow to say. Some are not allowed to said in certain places (such as expletives on TV before the watershed).

But there are many words that were freely used in the past when people were unable to speak up and say 'I don't like that term', or words that hark back to eras of slavery or imperialism, but as culture has evolved and colonies fought for and earned freedom, that these days show an insensitivity to the past and the effect the past has had and continues to have on society.

There are no laws banning you from saying these things. If, knowing the impact of certain words, you choose to use them (as you are free to do), it will reflect on you as a person and your character and other people will respond accordingly. Maybe those responses will be negative (people not spending money on your product, or wanting to know you) or maybe they won't (you could get welcomed into the wide arms of a group of like-minded individuals looking to preserve the purity of their country and get a whole bunch of new friends who embrace you and your choice of words!)

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
English people using the Americanisms “nauseous” and “awesome”

“Nauseous” means you make others feel sick. It’s “nauseated” if you feel sick. I know the English dictionary has been altered to accommodate this words widespread misuse, I’m sticking to the original.

“Awesome” means something inspiring Awe, something magnificent or stupefying. If a child’s finger painting or an IT bloke at work fixing your minor computer glitch makes you literally cover your eyes because the magnificence is too much...you must try to get out more.

Eddie Izzard did a great sketch on the overuse of Awesome.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
People say 'supper' when they mean 'dinner'. I agree with [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION].

You wouldn't invite someone over to share a cheese sandwich at nine in the evening. You'd invite them over for dinner, and probably earlier, unless you're, e.g., Italian or Brazilian.

Dinner is the main meal of the day. That can be mid-day or in the evening. Supper is such a shitty word I have never used it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
PC brigade - the bolt hole for those terrified of language evolving. They feel it necessary to invent a group of bogeymen who are in control of otherwise completly static language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Woman at work uses the word 'awks' all the time to describe something supposedly (but rarely actually) awkward. Bloody annoying

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Possibly something to do with 'police' being both a noun and a verb.

The police force police the populace. Firefighters fight fires.

Words are weird.

The police police the populace, the police force polices the populace:thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Pen,
Just laziness and people trying to sound cool.
Even the pundits and commentators have started saying it.
Boils my piss

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
"Super" before a word... The most fecking pointless addition ever.

"I'm super excited to be presenting this new product.." or "I'm super excited about that new restaurant.." What, do you put a sodding cape on to do that, then?

As for unmentionable words, I don't think there's a word out there which would make me gasp or recoil in horror. I've been brought up to laugh and take the p*ss out of anyone and anything - including myself. Pretty much anything said in jest passes with me. I'm not sensitive. It's all about the way it's said - but I'll grant you that words like ****** really don't sit well with me. A hundred years ago it was a normal slang word for Negro (the word for the colour black, in Spanish, as we all probably know) but when it gets used with venom it tarnishes the word - and here we are today. I don't like it.

Paki was a normal word for me growing up in Bradford in the 70's. It preceded the word 'shop' and 'taxi' usually. An old friend now uses the word 'Pak' to describe anything naff which Pakistanis do (he's Pakistani himself, by the way) like tasteless bodykits and gold wraps on cars, three bedroomed semi's with four Mercs, three BMW's, two Porsches and a Lexus all wedged in the tiny driveway to prove how flash they are. Just makes me chuckle, but he hates it.

Finally.... "Drive Carefully" - No, I was going to drive like a complete lunatic with scant regard to my own safety and that of others - but seeing as you just said that my journey home will be so slow the flies will be hitting my rear window. :glare:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I can't tolerate Americans that grunt 'Uh Huh' as a form of saying yes or as if affirming something but worse than that I've noticed they also now grunt 'Nuh huh' to provide a negative response or emphasise saying 'No'. It makes my cocking teeth itch. Twats.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I can't tolerate Americans that grunt 'Uh Huh' as a form of saying yes or as if affirming something but worse than that I've noticed they also now grunt 'Nuh huh' to provide a negative response or emphasise saying 'No'. It makes my cocking teeth itch. Twats.

I too find that annoying. I was led to believe that the Uh Huh was a “Southern” thing here in the US of A. ( Did that deliberately in case that’s wrong for a wind up.):yawn:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here