Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Words we mustn't utter or type or probably even think

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I caught a few minutes of a programme on racism and several lads referred to the P-word. It took me a moment to think what they were talking about before I realised. Obviously the N-word was taken a while ago and the C-word or C-bomb, which got me wondering how many other words cannot be said, even in a wider discussion, which are now only to be referred to by their first letter. I must admit that once I realised what the P-word might refer to, it crossed my mind that it may be an attempt to put it on the same level as the N-word rather than trying to eradicate it from people's vocabulary. But that's another question altogether.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Anything the PC brigade have now decided is wrong.

Mustn’t refer to gender - just in case.
Mustn’t say coloured when we mean black.
Mustn’t say mixed race when we mean dual heritage.

And so on...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nibble

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
English people using the Americanisms “nauseous” and “awesome”

“Nauseous” means you make others feel sick. It’s “nauseated” if you feel sick. I know the English dictionary has been altered to accommodate this words widespread misuse, I’m sticking to the original.

“Awesome” means something inspiring Awe, something magnificent or stupefying. If a child’s finger painting or an IT bloke at work fixing your minor computer glitch makes you literally cover your eyes because the magnificence is too much...you must try to get out more.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What would you call an informal evening meal?

("Dinner" is the wrong answer)

People say 'supper' when they mean 'dinner'. I agree with [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION].

You wouldn't invite someone over to share a cheese sandwich at nine in the evening. You'd invite them over for dinner, and probably earlier, unless you're, e.g., Italian or Brazilian.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
People say 'supper' when they mean 'dinner'. I agree with [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION].

You wouldn't invite someone over to share a cheese sandwich at nine in the evening. You'd invite them over for dinner, and probably earlier, unless you're, e.g., Italian or Brazilian.

No. I’d rather invite someone for a cheese sandwich at nine in the evening than cook the greedy buggers a big old meal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here