Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Richie Towell - What is going on ?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Richie Towell has gone to Rotherham and done very well, by all accounts. He’s also in the picture for a full Ireland cap.
Hes probably not got enough for us but has shown he’s a very decent championship player. He’s got to be worth north of a million, but it looks like he will leave for nothing in the summer as his contract is up.
I don’t get it - why didn’t we cash in in January ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Richie Towell has gone to Rotherham and done very well, by all accounts. He’s also in the picture for a full Ireland cap.
Hes probably not got enough for us but has shown he’s a very decent championship player. He’s got to be worth north of a million, but it looks like he will leave for nothing in the summer as his contract is up.
Was anyone queuing up to buy?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Why would Rotherham buy him now if they can agree a deal to have him for free in the summer?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wages

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Such a strange signing. I remember we beat a lot of Championship clubs to sign but never gave him any minutes in the Championship.
I guess the 442 formation we played last season never gave Towell the opportunity to play in the number 10 role. Just a pointless signing, maybe Albion were playing the 'moneyball' approach...

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The club doing the best for his career I suppose. £500.000 or whatever doesn't mean much to a premier league club.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
He's got a great attitude, work ethic and fitness level. It's an almost exact trade-off for his whitened teeth, dead eyes, terrible tattoos and brogues-no-socks-and-white-suit-trousers style sense. Anyway, Rotherham really want to keep him and he likes it there but they have a miniscule budget so if another club comes in with money then...

Rov are also holding off negotiations with players until they know what division they'll be in next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was strange that with all the hype surrounding his arrival, he virtually never got anywhere near the first team. Did he ever start a league fixture? It was a pretty rare occasion if he did.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It was strange that with all the hype surrounding his arrival, he virtually never got anywhere near the first team. Did he ever start a league fixture? It was a pretty rare occasion if he did.

He played a solid 16 minutes away at Rotherham in 2017 and that was good enough for me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, he never started in the league. He was alright, his big chance was the play-off first leg at Sheffield Wednesday when everyone else was crippled. He did nothing special but if he'd connected with a volley from a Beckham/Scholes type corner, he could have turned it all around. He didn't connect with it, and there ended his playing career with us!

Circumstances just didn't play out for him here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just came into some money.

I usually use a towel.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Who's to say if a different Champ club did come in with a bid in January, that he'd have agreed to go? Might want to stay at Rotherham and might get a lot more money by seeing out his contract.

On a side note, JFC (who was also at Rotherham for a while) has 56 games and 7 goals for Charlton if wikipedia is to be believed since 2017. They'd probably make a good partnership at that upper L1 / just about surviving in the Champ kind of level we used to peak at back in the day.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We obviously bought him for Champ but we became PL and so surplus to requirements. Sure he’ll have a fine career outside top tier which is altogether a different level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here