Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Euro MPs vote to end summer time clock changes

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was in the guardian yesterday. They seemed to be suggesting it would be up to member states whether to change or not, and that Britain had indicated it would continue to change the clocks twice a year (despite polls showing it would be largely a popular decision to stop the clock changes). Also looked at the problem of Republic of Ireland being out of sync with Northern Ireland or the rest of Europe. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-go-forward-change-2019-daylight-savings-time

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
It's actually giving control back to member states.

Currently all EU members have to change clocks by an hour twice a year on set dates. From 2021, each member state has the choice to use Daylight saving or not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Currently all EU members have to change clocks by an hour twice a year on set dates. From 2021, each member state has the choice to use Daylight saving or not.
I'm sorry, that doesn't fit with the anti-EU narrative the NSC Brexit goons are portraying on this thread.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No they don't. The 'choice' for the UK would be stick with GMT all year round or stick with BST all year round - no changes during the year allowed.

Frankly the EU can do one on this as far as I'm concerned; one more reason for leaving.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not given much of a mention in the media, SNP keeping stum, don't want to be seen criticizing their european partners at this time

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47704345

er, why would this be criticised, exactly??

Was in the guardian yesterday. They seemed to be suggesting it would be up to member states whether to change or not, and that Britain had indicated it would continue to change the clocks twice a year (despite polls showing it would be largely a popular decision to stop the clock changes). Also looked at the problem of Republic of Ireland being out of sync with Northern Ireland or the rest of Europe. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-go-forward-change-2019-daylight-savings-time

That

And indeed, that.

Won't stop the full on bendy banana rants, from the willfully uninformed, though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No they don't. The 'choice' for the UK would be stick with GMT all year round or stick with BST all year round - no changes during the year allowed.

Frankly the EU can do one on this as far as I'm concerned; one more reason for leaving.

Daylight saving is a nonsense anyway, so I'm all for binning it, but -

However, Portugal, Greece and the UK are three countries who have indicated they would intend to carry on with the twice-yearly clock changes.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I think you're right. Increase in costs, higher unemployment, lowering of standards, fewer funds for deprived regions and weakening workers rights are merely trifling things unimportant in the big picture of blue passports and clocks going forward

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
There was a consultation with huge response from Germany and the “core” regions and virtually nothing from the UK. Those in the UK that responded were in favour of scraping the change, but they aren’t representative of UK views as a whole (being a self selected sample).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not given much of a mention in the media, SNP keeping stum, don't want to be seen criticizing their european partners at this time

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47704345

"The European Commission - in charge of drafting EU legislation - made the proposal last year, after a public consultation which showed 84% of respondents wanting to scrap the biannual clock changes. There were 4.6 million replies in that consultation, 70% of which were from Germans."

They're looking at a changing the rules across the EU (28 countries), so they consult the public across the EU, but 70% of the results are from Germans. WTF?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Not according to the link in the OP. According to that, we'd have to choose GMT or BST and stick with it. There would be no option for changing twice a year, as we do now.
er, why would this be criticised, exactly??

That

And indeed, that.

Won't stop the full on bendy banana rants, from the willfully uninformed, though.
Have you got a link to show that this wouldn't be compulsory?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Bloody EU, telling us all what to do. What if we don't want to make our own decisions, eh? What then?

Myth. 95% of new EU legislation is supported by the UK on average.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
"The European Commission - in charge of drafting EU legislation - made the proposal last year, after a public consultation which showed 84% of respondents wanting to scrap the biannual clock changes. There were 4.6 million replies in that consultation, 70% of which were from Germans."

They're looking at a changing the rules across the EU (28 countries), so they consult the public across the EU, but 70% of the results are from Germans. WTF?

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/summertime/news/2018-08-31-consultation-outcome_en

82% of UK respondents would abolish biannual clock changes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Daylight saving is a nonsense anyway, so I'm all for binning it, but -
However, Portugal, Greece and the UK are three countries who have indicated they would intend to carry on with the twice-yearly clock changes.
Well, that's good news.

I think you're right. Increase in costs, higher unemployment, lowering of standards, fewer funds for deprived regions and weakening workers rights are merely trifling things unimportant in the big picture of blue passports and clocks going forward
Seldom has the expression "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" been more apt.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I like the clock changes., gives people things to talk about on a Monday

Person I worked with years ago used the clocks going back in October as an excuse to arrive an hour late for work, claiming he hadn't realised there had been a change.

All very plausible, until I pointed out that if that had genuinely been the case, he would have been there an hour early, not late...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here