Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Bad news for petrolheads!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's because people, as a rule, are idiots.

My Dad would drive smashed, his line to my mother was 'we're all safer with me driving drunk than you driving sober'!
He indiscriminately smoked.

In 30 years time Jnr will be saying 'that's nothing when I was a kid my Dad ...'.

I have no idea what those dots might be, but I'm blooming sure whatever it is will make me look an idiot. :lol:

This. Change, progress, live with it, or watch reruns of Love Thy Neighbour.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes we all drive at 80 on the motorway. Except we don't when the speed average cams are out. M25 is very 70ish. M2 and M20 somewhat less so. When cars go off the M25 onto the M26 the speed boots up an extra 20 MPH in many cases. M25 is slightly different because you only need a few hundred people going 70 then the rest have to because it is nose to tail on so much of it so much of the time, and traffic in a procession can go only go as fast as the slowest care.

:cheers:
Fairy nuff. Maybe it's just the M5 - but I'm still mystified as to how it changed so radically literally over-night.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I live in Dorset these days. We have no motorways whatsoever, but we have plenty of dual carriage ways and the odd bit of three lane road. Plenty of them restrict you to 40mph before joining said multi lane roads which are filled with cars doing 70+

Have you got some specific examples? I'm thinking more of the slip road to join the dual carriageway rather than just coming up to a standard 'T' junction.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fairy nuff. Maybe it's just the M5 - but I'm still mystified as to how it changed so radically literally over-night.

Either speed cams, rumour of speed cams, or it just seemed like overnight. Like the wine gut I suddenly found myself with, one morning. :rolleyes:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Either speed cams, rumour of speed cams, or it just seemed like overnight. Like the wine gut I suddenly found myself with, one morning. :rolleyes:

Rumour? Maybe. But the phenomenon persists six months on, and yes it literally was overnight; well, a week between the two journeys, one at 80, the next at 70.

.....and kindly leave mysteriously expanding waiste-lines out of it!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Roads would be a lot safer if they removed all the old people drivers, all the women drivers, all the disabled drivers, all the foreign drivers, and all the other drivers driving their cars in front of my shiny black BMW.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Been saying this was coming for years. Time to research and buy that DREAM vehicle, MV Augusta for me, Italian beauty and nearly 200 mph, and keep the servicing perfect, should see my days out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will this mean no more Jeremy Clarkson? If so, and on those grounds alone, count me in.

When I'm too tired or just can't be bothered to think I still watch their Grand Tour.

Recently Hammond was seriously bemoaning the bus lane as a waste of good road space because nobody was using it. :lolol: what a mug.

boik

Acceleration - to 'take off' quickly you need enough power. Hard to have high power without high top speed. This is increasingly the case as the size of the car gets bigger. A tiny two seater made of aluminium could do 0-60 in 5 seconds and a top speed of only around 80, but the top speed would be much greater for a family estate.

Yes we all drive at 80 on the motorway. Except we don't when the speed average cams are out. M25 is very 70ish. M2 and M20 somewhat less so. When cars go off the M25 onto the M26 the speed boots up an extra 20 MPH in many cases. M25 is slightly different because you only need a few hundred people going 70 then the rest have to because it is nose to tail on so much of it so much of the time, and traffic in a procession can go only go as fast as the slowest care.

:cheers:

The M25 and many other are being turned into "Smart" motorways. You ignore the signs above the road you automatically get a ticket in the post. There is no margin of error. (Yes, I got the ticket and did the course!).

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The M25 and many other are being turned into "Smart" motorways. You ignore the signs above the road you automatically get a ticket in the post. There is no margin of error. (Yes, I got the ticket and did the course!).

You must have been unlucky. I always ignore them and have never had a ticket.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Have you got some specific examples? I'm thinking more of the slip road to join the dual carriageway rather than just coming up to a standard 'T' junction.

Here’s the nearest one to where I live. It’s 30mph from where you leave the B3078 and only becomes 70mph when you join the A338.

931117B6-5F6A-4ED4-B5CE-7ABF951B99E7.jpeg

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
You must have been unlucky. I always ignore them and have never had a ticket.

You are lucky. Or do you never drive on unfamiliar motorways? I say this because I got done on the M42 which has to have the most smart motorway signs in the country: 64 in a 60 did for me because I ignored two gantry signs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here’s the nearest one to where I live. It’s 30mph from where you leave the B3078 and only becomes 70mph when you join the A338.

View attachment 106674

Are you sure about that? Looking at google maps, there is a temporary limit of 30mph heading south but that seems to be due to roadworks. As soon as you turn off at the lights to join the A338 there is a national speed limit. Would also suggest that as you come round the bend you can start increasing speed and there seems plenty of straight slip road to get up to 60 and merge safely.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good luck with joining the M6 from the Midland Motorway Gyratory System (Spaghetti Junction) at over 40 mph!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Are you sure about that? Looking at google maps, there is a temporary limit of 30mph heading south but that seems to be due to roadworks. As soon as you turn off at the lights to join the A338 there is a national speed limit. Would also suggest that as you come round the bend you can start increasing speed and there seems plenty of straight slip road to get up to 60 and merge safely.

Trust me you’re wrong. There is no sign to state where the 30mph speed limit ends and the national speed limit applies as is required by law. Therefore the 30mph limit continues to where you join the dual carriageway upon which the limit is 70mph.

How do I know you’re wrong? My neighbour was done for speeding on that bend one night. :D (if you know that junction, you’ll know exactly where the police were sitting)

They are spending millions on that junction as it’s so dangerous, along with making it three lanes along that stretch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here