Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Loved them too. Stand down Margaret. RIP

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Saw him a number of times at The Forum here in T.Wells. So much energy in those performances. The Beat were a brilliant band in their day.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Oh no way. Saw The Beat and Selector at the Dome last year. Roger's son was with him these days. Cracking gig.
Rubbish news. RIP Rankin Roger

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Really sad news.

I saw The Beat around the time of their breakthrough, late 1979. They were third on the bill behind Teardrop Explodes and Human League, neither of whom were particularly big then either (TE had released one single that wasn't a hit, HL got top billing because they had at least just released an album).

Tears of a Clown and John Peel's relentless plugging of the band was about to change Ranking Roger's world. I had no idea he was only 16 then and a year younger than me...

RIP

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great man. Have a hazy memory of seeing them down the Suite great night but can't remember when it was. Summer '80 of '81?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Really sad news.

I saw The Beat around the time of their breakthrough, late 1979. They were third on the bill behind Teardrop Explodes and Human League, neither of whom were particularly big then either (TE had released one single that wasn't a hit, HL got top billing because they had at least just released an album).

Tears of a Clown and John Peel's relentless plugging of the band was about to change Ranking Roger's world. I had no idea he was only 16 then and a year younger than me...

RIP

God. I saw Teardrop Explodes and Human League on the same bill at Eric’s in Liverpool when I was a young un...didn’t know what hit me.

Magazine were my fave though. They still stack up well all this time later.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Such sad news. Saw them live at Boileroom in Guildford a few years back and Ranking Roger ruled the roost.

Gave us the slice of fried gold that tops of the denouement in Ferris Bueller too. Respect.

RIP

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
56 though. Jesus what rotten luck.

One by one
Only the good die young.

Except Hitler.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
God. I saw Teardrop Explodes and Human League on the same bill at Eric’s in Liverpool when I was a young un...didn’t know what hit me.

Magazine were my fave though. They still stack up well all this time later.

You may have been let in to Eric's by a current festival-going friend of mine. His first job after leaving school at 16 was as a bouncer on the door, 1978-79-ish.

First day on the job he naively achieved notoriety by refusing entry to some funny-looking guy, not realising he was the unofficial leader of the Liverpool "scene" by virtue of being the coolest looking. It went something like this:

Funny-looking guy: "Don't you know who I am?"
Friend: "No, and I don't care who you are. If you haven't got a ticket, you're not coming in."
Funny-looking guy: "But I'm Pete Burns."
Friend: "Who? If you haven't got a ticket, you're not coming in."
Funny-looking guy: "But I'm Pete Burns..."

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here