Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Ranking Roger

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Great man. Have a hazy memory of seeing them down the Suite great night but can't remember when it was. Summer '80 of '81?

Yep, you are correct. I was probably at the same gig though they came down to Brighton a few times. Saw them also at the Art College opposite the King and Queen but the fighting in there was mad that night. Mods and Skinheads. I was dodging the punch ups dancing away. Happy days!!

So happy I saw him last year. Younger than me as well. Shyt shyt news. RIP. What a great part of our great music history.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
I saw the Beat in their prime at the Top Rank. The concert began with him running through the curtains, nearly toppling into the crowd and shouting at the top of his voice "Brighton, are you ready to dance?" On the final syllable the band went straight into Mirror in the Bathroom. Afterwards, walking back to the station I swear the whole of Queens Road was still singing "Stand down Margaret, stand down pleeeeease ...". He was fantastic that night, and again alongside his son at the De La Warr a year or so ago. There are some sad things known to man...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
RIP RR,taken too early.:cry:

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
Very sad. I had tickets to see him (& The Selecter) play in Vancouver last year but the Beat show was cancelled due to him having a 'mini-stroke'. The Selecter played the show by themselves at a smaller venue and although they were good it would have been wonderful to have seen Ranking Roger perform one last time. RIP.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
One of the most underrated bands of all time! Absolutely loved The Beat. That is really crappy news. RIP RR

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Aw feck. That's scunnered today right up.

Saw The Beat at the Suite in the Autumn of 1982 . What a fantastic night. So much energy and talent.

RIP Roger.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
They came to Toronto many times. Was lucky enough to see 5 or 6 shows and 1 General Public show.

Managed to talk to Roger quite a while before one of them. The Concert Hall was packed, I happened to head back towards the entrance door for some reason and Roger was sitting at a table out front on his own. Super friendly to spend 10-15 minutes talking to an annoying 16 year old me.

Their Police Picnic show was a great one, an epic day for sure.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's terrible.

The Beat were one of my favourites growing up.
Still listen to them regularly

One of the greatest pop songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnljPqBZq6M

Never a fan of two-tone - but that is probably the best I've ever heard of that genre; good stuff.

Just out of interest, I wonder how some of those two-tone bands ever got started. Us guitarists and bass players - and even some drummers! - are forever trying to get bands together, to get gigs wherever possible, sod the money or often the complete lack of it (in the hope, of course, that it might all come good). Horn players, on the other hand, in my experience only ever played when they got paid - Musicians' Union rates too, thank you very much. Fine if you're established, but a bit of a poser when you're playing gigs at a loss trying to get noticed.

Anyway, RIP - 56 is no age to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Never a fan of two-tone - but that is probably the best I've ever heard of that genre; good stuff.

Just out of interest, I wonder how some of those two-tone bands ever got started. Us guitarists and bass players - and even some drummers! - are forever trying to get bands together, to get gigs wherever possible, sod the money or often the complete lack of it (in the hope, of course, that it might all come good). Horn players, on the other hand, in my experience only ever played when they got paid - Musicians' Union rates too, thank you very much. Fine if you're established, but a bit of a poser when you're playing gigs at a loss trying to get noticed.

My advice..either take up horns or start plying Santana Bass lays.

It’ll come good.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah I quite liked Two-tone, but not a big fan. The beat had a lot more to them than the others IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here