Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasonably interesting and pointless football facts

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Crikey, just imagine that for a minute!

Yep. Went to a game there with Seagulls Over London years ago. We were in the bar after the game when a big cheer went up - the league table was on the TV, showing the bottom half of Division 3 - Rochdale were top of it (aka 13th).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Substitutes were first introduced in English football in the1965/66 season. And only 1 could be used. Imagine that today!

And only for injuries, not tactical changes. If Barry Fry were alive today he'd turn in his grave.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to stay up till 12.40 on a Saturday night to watch a 15 second clip of defeat I'd watched earlier that day, at Priestfield.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If you kick a free kick (or a corner or any restart) into your own goal it doesn't count and the opposition get a corner.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cyril Knowles had a much more talented brother, Peter, who played for Wolves. He quit the game aged about 20 to become......a Jehova's Witness. The soppy tart.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you kick a free kick (or a corner or any restart) into your own goal it doesn't count and the opposition get a corner.

Are you sure about the corner? It's a direct free kick. Isn't it only indirect free kicks from which a goal (at either end) can't be scored?

Edit. Just checked it out and apologies, you're right. A very odd rule.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Jimmy Rimmer is the only player to have won European Cup winners’ medals with two different English clubs

Despite playing for less than ten minutes over the two games. On the bench in '68 and injured and replaced by Nigel Spink in '82.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Viv Richards is the only player to have played in world cup matches in cricket and football

The Woolwich Arsenal was though.

Interesting football factoid:

The flag pole often shown at Anfield on the roof of the Kop was the flag pole from Isimbard Kingdom Brunel’s steamer The Great Eastern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gosh very interesting. Fortunately we can still see the SS Great Britain but the Great Eastern must have been a site to behold.

...And staying on a Brunel theme. The late squillionaire, Jack Hayward, former owner/chair of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, donated considerably toward the funding of the removal of the iconic steam ship, SS Great Britain, from the Falkland Islands to its birthplace in Bristol where it now resides and may be visited.

Any other Victorian Engineer/Football connection facts ??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Viv Richards is the only player to have played in world cup matches in cricket and football

Incorrect.

One player has played in the FINAL of both the cricket World Cup, and the football World Cup.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Incorrect.

One player has played in the FINAL of both the cricket World Cup, and the football World Cup.

I woke up this morning and my first thought was that what I'd posted was incorrect: Elysse Perry has also played in the cricket and football World Cup (and not just in the qualifiers). But while she's played in the cricket WC final, she's not made it to the football WC final - but did make it to the QF.

I'd be intrigued to know who's done both

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
...And staying on a Brunel theme. The late squillionaire, Jack Hayward, former owner/chair of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, donated considerably toward the funding of the removal of the iconic steam ship, SS Great Britain, from the Falkland Islands to its birthplace in Bristol where it now resides and may be visited.

Any other Victorian Engineer/Football connection facts ??

And a very interesting visit it is too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here