Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Appealing a rail penalty fare

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does anyone have any experience of appealing a rail penalty fare? Is it worth it?

I normally have a season ticket but for the last few weeks I’ve been all over the place so have been getting tickets on an ad-hoc basis when I’ve needed to go to the office. I usually grab a ticket from machine or if busy the conductor on the train. Failing that there is a ticket booth at Leeds station with four staff who’ve always been happy to sell me a ticket without any warnings etc. Today the conductor couldn’t get down the train as it was so busy so I went to the booth and was handed over to a penalty collector.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Does anyone have any experience of appealing a rail penalty fare? Is it worth it?

I normally have a season ticket but for the last few weeks I’ve been all over the place so have been getting tickets on an ad-hoc basis when I’ve needed to go to the office. I usually grab a ticket from machine or if busy the conductor on the train. Failing that there is a ticket booth at Leeds station with four staff who’ve always been happy to sell me a ticket without any warnings etc. Today the conductor couldn’t get down the train as it was so busy so I went to the booth and was handed over to a penalty collector.

You have been lucky so far then. Plenty of signs these days explaining fines. Next time get a ticket. You deserve a fine.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Expect the railway morons to be on here in a bit with their 'can't do' attitude.

About time that industry got up with the times when it comes to selling tickets.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You have been lucky so far then. Plenty of signs these days explaining fines. Next time get a ticket. You deserve a fine.

Having travelled nearly every day from Guiseley to Leeds since August I've never seen a sign despite practising and advocating mindfulness, but I guess you know the Wharfedale Line better than I do.

Furthermore what's the point in having a massive booth selling tickets that you can't use?!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having travelled nearly every day from Guiseley to Leeds since August I've never seen a sign despite practising and advocating mindfulness, but I guess you know the Wharfedale Line better than I do.

Furthermore what's the point in having a massive booth selling tickets that you can't use?!

But you stated there’s a ticket machine so shouldn’t be a problem.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Are you not required to *find* the conductor to buy a ticket when boarding without a ticket; and doesn't that also require there being no operative ticket machine (or PTT if in a PTT area)?

There were piles of random pan-European railway manuals in the office when I was contracting for the train company here, I may have read some when bored...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont really understand why they do this, they have most main stations a "excess fares" office rail side to deal with this scenario, then randomly have revenue protection enforcement instead. so most the time they'll be reasonable and let you buy your ticket at destination, then decide a day this wont be the case. i doubt any appeal will work as they have the law on their side, logic and consistent application of it be damned.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Expect the railway morons to be on here in a bit with their 'can't do' attitude.

About time that industry got up with the times when it comes to selling tickets.

Very much this.

Staggering in this day and age that proof of purchase via an app or with a confirmation email as proof this isn’t considered fit for travel due to some draconian legal conditions of sale BS.

Having to queue to get a very unsustainable paper ticket is frankly Victorian and needs to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are you not required to *find* the conductor to buy a ticket when boarding without a ticket

He did say this but the train was rammed. Usually the conductor does come down the train asking if anyone needs a ticket. Not sure why it was so busy today.

Staggering in this day and age that proof of purchase via an app or with a confirmation email as proof this isn’t considered fit for travel due to some draconian legal conditions of sale BS.

Also bloody stupid when there are barriers to go through anyway so I had to buy a ticket.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Very much this.

Having to queue to get a very unsustainable paper ticket is frankly Victorian and needs to end.

You can buy tickets on line and get them sent to your phone via the Northern App

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/t...67.685788343.1527078136-1394180682.1522835593

Welcome to the 21st century.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I honestly do not understand how you cant buy tickets via an app these days without needing to collect tickets, it works at airports across the country, gigs and sporting events, even bloody virgin have the ability to scan the QR code, its an utter joke that statons do not have this abiity to scan phones, print at home tickets.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Very much this.

I have a Southern "Key" card and can buy tickets via my phone. At least half the time the conductor's machine and barriers don't read it properly.

Back to the OP, I appealed against a ticket issued by London Underground in 2000; A colleague and I had to go from Colindale to Islington and we got off the real train to get on the underground, cannot remember where but you could go from the overground platform to the underground without going through a barrier so when we got to the other end we went to the "fares to pay" window where the most miserable c..t I have ever met refused to do anything but issue us a £10 penalty, payable immediately with the added encouragement of a transport copper standing next to us.
An appeal to the head office fell on deaf ears.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Very much this.

funny thing is they do have app for sales, thats what they'll use when you ask the guard/OBS and can do online through national rail or other services. ive not bought online do they send a ticket or can you "print" to local device? its pretty simple to implement if not. its almost as if they dont want to make it easy.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
He did say this but the train was rammed. Usually the conductor does come down the train asking if anyone needs a ticket. Not sure why it was so busy today.

Also bloody stupid when there are barriers to go through anyway so I had to buy a ticket.

I hear you regarding the barriers but most confirmations come with Q codes. As ever were told justification for above inflationary price rises are to pay for improvements to infrastructure yet as consumers we see little in the way of innovation for our benefit.

And frankly if any of the train bods want to start spouting about improved rolling stock I personally can’t see past all recent improved rolling stock such as the Samsung Thameslink trains, as being nothing other than a ploy to increase capacity on each train...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I hear you regarding the barriers but most confirmations come with Q codes. As ever were told justification for above inflationary price rises are to pay for improvements to infrastructure yet as consumers we see little in the way of innovation for our benefit.

And frankly if any of the train bods want to start spouting about improved rolling stock I personally can’t see past all recent improved rolling stock such as the Samsung Thameslink trains, as being nothing other than a ploy to increase capacity on each train...

Guessing you're not aware of all the upgrading work being done on the London Brighton line, including a full closure for a week in Feb between Three Bridges and Btn!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

We ALL know the rules, a ticket is required, end. A one off may be excuseable, but you talk of weeks of boarding trains without a valid ticket purchased in advance. I really have no need to be nasty, but suck it up and pay up, you knew you were doing wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here