Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Freeview- advice required

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
This will sound like BS but just spin or pull out the aerial connector a little bit where it connects to your tv.
My Samsung Smart tv has issues on some channels at different times. I just go over and have a little twiddle and it always sorts the picture.
Why? How? I have no idea. The missus did it once and I laughed at her but it genuinely sorted the problem.

N.B this is not a "fluff on the line, blow down it" landline telephone prank.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Get an aerial installer to put a meter on your cable and see what needs to be done from there, a free view box, bt box, you view box etc all rely on a good aerial signal.
Go to the Digitaluk website, put in your postcode and house number, tick the detailed view box and enter. This will tell you what transmitter is best in your area and how good the signals should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Why do you have to return it? We had Sky for 12 months thanks to [MENTION=181]Blackadder[/MENTION] and then cancelled it. We still have two Sky boxes. If they needed a repair you have to pay someone yourself as it is your box, so why are Sky asking for it?

All new boxes are now sky property and do not belong to you, if a sky box goes wrong Sky repair it...

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've just got rid of Virgin media and become a cord cutter. Because I'm very tight with money, I trialled homemade aerials. I made a fractal, a Gray hoverman and a double '0'. All have given excellent results for freeview. A matching transformer(balun) cost £2.50 on ebay, an inline signal booster-because Coldean needs a higher gain and the wife wanted an unbroken ITVBe- was £2.99. 1/2 hour on each aerial and I had better results than my loft antenna

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Probably makes sense ...if you believe the Earth is flat.

Worked fine in Oldbury,but Sutton Coldfield transmitter is very powerful.Perhaps you will get a decent signal when you catch up to the 21st century,but then the South Coast has always lagged behind on technology,and understanding how to use it.Too much emphasis on yurt building and yoghurt knitting.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Worked fine in Oldbury,but Sutton Coldfield transmitter is very powerful.Perhaps you will get a decent signal when you catch up to the 21st century,but then the South Coast has always lagged behind on technology,and understanding how to use it.Too much emphasis on yurt building and yoghurt knitting.

21st century Oldbury? - now there's a thing. Not even in Birmingham is the prof a Yam Yam?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Even though I live in Essex I still get the South East BBC rather than East Anglia. Which is nice because I am not interested in Norwich...which is the only place they talk about on the local dross.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
21st century Oldbury? - now there's a thing. Not even in Birmingham is the prof a Yam Yam?

No,but I had a friend (sadly recently departed) who lived in the flats near Sandwell & Dudley station,and that is how we got a decent picture on his Freeview.Nothing wrong with yamyams-most of them have stopped eating human flesh with crackling.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'd love to dump Virgin Media for TV but we can't pick up a freeview signal at all as outdoor aerial is not possible and indoor signal is awful.

Is there a box that allows freeview via broadband only?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Ask the freeholder/landlord if the aerial needs realigning. Digital signals can be quite temperamental if it doesn't point in exactly the right direction.

Not disagreeing exactly but I've never found this. My bedroom TV has run off metal coat hangers for years (classy huh). It probably helps that I'm in a built-up area of London with the signal bouncing off all sorts of sundry buildings round about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here