Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Seasoned tournament goers: some questions about Euro 2020 ticketing

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
OK, after only two games it aready seems unfathomable that England will be making an appearance at Euro 2020. Not only is that almost certain, but also because 'host countries' are guaranteed to play at least two of their games at home we also know that we'll be in Group D and that at least two matches will take place at Wembley. So, whilst you wouldn't ordinarily know where your team would fit in the schedule when the ticket ballot opens, on this ocassion you're able to more or less cherry pick England games when applying for tickets.

My dad took me to the opening game of Euro 96 against Switzerland when I was 11, and though the game itself was pretty shit it still ranks as one of the most special days of my childhood (me and the old man didn't always see eye-to-eye, growing up). What I'd really love to do is take him, and my own son who will be 6 next summer, to one of those games. Of course, because of the above demand is going to be MASSIVE and I'm not 100% how these ticket balloting systems generally work:

• Do you get to select the grade of ticket you apply for, and if you select the most expensive grade do you still have chance of getting tickets in lower priced bands?
  • Is the ticket ballot usually for group games only or for the knockout stages as well? We know already that England would play the 2nd round in Dublin if they won the group or Copenhagen if they finished second.
  • In the event I applied and ended up with more tickets than I need or tickets for games I didn't want to go to, is there an official re-sale channel whereby tickets can be sold on at face value?
  • Presumably tickets will be name-specific and checked against ID (so you couldn't re-sell through unofficial channels)?
Any advice much appreciated!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
For Euro 2016 you applied for which cities and which rounds you wanted to apply for, and also which price bands. You then one day have money taken your account. I applied for 4 lots of tickets for Euro 2016, and ended up with tickets to the final!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There are two ways - via the FA (to follow England), and via ballot (for all matches).

Loyalty 'caps' are awarded for the former (by going to England matches). The latter is random and obviously v v over-subscribed.

Not sure I've ever had ID checked at a major or international match.

As an aide, it was ridiculously easy to get tickets for Euro 96. To get two tickets for the final, you also had to have two tickets for the semi... and four for QF and all group games. Application was handed in at Midland banks, IIRC. Good times.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
By far and away your best bet is to become a member of the England Supporters Travel Club (ESTC) and go to as many games between now and the draw in December to build up your caps (loyalty points). Even if you can only get to games at Wembley and none abroad you'll steal a march on most people who want to obtain tickets.

Membership is £65 (2 year membership) and you get 2 caps for every game attended. Obviously with us looking dangerous and it all but being a home tournament, demand is gonna outstrip supply. But if you became a member now and even if you only attended home games prior to the draw... by my reckoning you'd be pretty much guaranteed tickets for the potential 5 England games at Wembley. If Euro 2016 is anything to go by, we were given 16% of the saleable capacity of the grounds we played at, at Wembley that equates to 14,400. I don't even think we have that many paid up Travel Club members right now (although it will go beyond that the closer we get to the tournament).

Our group games: Wembley x 2 and either Wembley or Hampden Park for the other.
2nd round: Dublin or Copenhagen.
1/4's: Rome or St.Petersburg.
Semis & Final: Wembley.

It's all been predetermined and if the Scots do qualify (lol) they will be in our group.

Newbies will struggle for Hampden, 2nd round and 1/4's I'd think, but should be ok for Wembley if you build your caps total up between now and then. Can't wait myself...

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Oh and if you apply through Uefa, you can tick a box and that will indicate you are happy to receive tickets in a different price category to the one you have selected... they will only ever move you up or down by one category maximum though. This was done for Euro 2016 and this years Champions League Final (ballot closed last week).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here