Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any lawn smiths out there?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Apologies in advance for posting a boring post, but I’m after recommendations of good lawn laying people.

Mine has suffered with ruddy red thread for years and no matter what I try, or even service companies like Green Thumb etc have used, it never solves it. It’s got so bad that last year there was little green grass showing.

So I’m giving up and looking to take up the existing lawn and get rid and then have anew lawn laying.

Firstly I’d appreciate any recommended people/ companies.

Secondly anyone knowing anything about the red thread can you tell me will I get rid of it by taking up the turf, or will I also need to take up a layer of the existing soil as we? if so how deep?

any Alan Titchmarshs out there?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Apologies in advance for posting a boring post, but I’m after recommendations of good lawn laying people.

Mine has suffered with ruddy red thread for years and no matter what I try, or even service companies like Green Thumb etc have used, it never solves it. It’s got so bad that last year there was little green grass showing.

So I’m giving up and looking to take up the existing lawn and get rid and then have anew lawn laying.

Secondly anyone knowing anything about the red thread can you tell me will I get rid of it by taking up the turf, or will I also need to take up a layer of the existing soil as we? if so how deep?

Your thread resonates with my current situation !

When I moved here in 2001, my front garden was, side to side and back to front, covered in six inches of fractured crazy paving with giant weeds emanating therefrom, so I decided to lift it all up and put down turf. Fine but, despite hiring a rotavator which just bounced off the seriously compacted sub soil, but persevered nonetheless !

After last summer when finally the lawn gave up given the heat etc., I decided to use Green Thumb who have recently started on ' a lawn makeover' - £600 as opposed to £2500 for returfing on a lawn ( advisedly ) area of 15 square metres, which involves scarifying and aeration, removing thatch and replacing top soil and introducing compost and of water retaining 'stuff' , which they say will prove better than returfing !

I would suggest that you at least get a quote from them and look at their brochure - too early for me to say as they have only just started the work which, firstly, is treatment of the lawn with herbicide to kill everything prior to what follows !

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Isn't Red Thread in part caused by poor aeration, so if you resow/relay a lawn won't you have the same issue from the compacted and poorly aerated soil.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

When I moved here in 2001, my front garden was, side to side and back to front, covered in six inches of fractured crazy paving with giant weeds emanating therefrom, so I decided to lift it all up and put down turf. Fine but, despite hiring a rotavator which just bounced off the seriously compacted sub soil, but persevered nonetheless !

After last summer when finally the lawn gave up given the heat etc., I decided to use Green Thumb who have recently started on ' a lawn makeover' - £600 as opposed to £2500 for returfing on a lawn ( advisedly ) area of 15 square metres, and which they say will prove better than returfing !

I would suggest that you at least get a quote from them and look at their brochure - too early for me to say as they have only just started the work which, firstly, is treatment of the lawn with herbicide to kill everything prior to what follows !

wow, that seems really expensive for 15 sq metres!
not wishing to be dismissive but i also used a Green Thumb franchisee and in my case they were not overly brilliant. I’m not wanting to pee on your parade, or even lawn, as I know as in all of the cases you get good operators and you get bad ones as well, in my case they just didn’t deliver the goods.

I’m sure you guy/gal will do you a fine job. but are you sure of that price per sq metre ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Is a lawnsmith an actual thing?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Isn't Red Thread in part caused by poor aeration, so if you resow/relay a lawn won't you have the same issue from the compacted and poorly aerated soil.

i think it is, hence why I’m looking to get a decent layer of soil out from underneath and when relaying do,so on a bed of topsoils, grit and sand to help it get less compacted.

I will tell you what red thread is though, it is a Royal pain in the grass

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
58E5806B-B831-4D42-B7A0-3DB4846369C6.png

769FFE09-CDAE-472F-9673-990107170364.png

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
wow, that seems really expensive for 15 sq metres!
not wishing to be dismissive but i also used a Green Thumb franchisee and in my case they were not overly brilliant. I’m not wanting to pee on your parade, or even lawn, as I know as in all of the cases you get good operators and you get bad ones as well, in my case they just didn’t deliver the goods.

I’m sure you guy/gal will do you a fine job. but are you sure of that price per sq metre ?

SORRY my mistake

Is actually 40 SM which works out at £15.00 per square metre which is probably not bad considering what they do !

That's where the 15 came from !!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
SORRY my mistake

Is actually 40 SM which works out at £15.00 per square metre which is probably not bad considering what they do !

thank heavens for that Ferring, I was worried you and not the lawn was getting done over, just didn’t quite know how to say so without upsetting you.

Hope they do you a good job and you have a healthy green sword to show off!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I got my garden turf and topsoil from a place near Selmeston, for what it's worth. It's been fine, apart from a bit down the bottom where it's damp and doesn't get much sunlight, but that's not down to the turf boffins.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I got my garden turf and topsoil from a place near Selmeston, for what it's worth. It's been fine, apart from a bit down the bottom where it's damp and doesn't get much sunlight, but that's not down to the turf boffins.

glad to hear that your damp bottom doesn’t get too much sunlight

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Mid Sussex is turf growing country. A pallet of turf can be found much cheaper than you may think.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

After last summer when finally the lawn gave up given the heat etc., I decided to use Green Thumb who have recently started on ' a lawn makeover' - £600 as opposed to £2500 for returfing on a lawn ( advisedly ) area of 15 square metres, which involves scarifying and aeration, removing thatch and replacing top soil and introducing compost and of water retaining 'stuff' , which they say will prove better than returfing !

My clients have had a mixed experience of Green Thumb which is a franchise operation....success seems to vary from area to area in my experience

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon

Nitrogen should sort it out, If you do go down the route of having a new lawn laid. Get any turf and top soil from selmeston turf co.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Unless your Red Thread is on a bowling green, I wouldn't worry too much. It tends to attack Fescue grasses (the needle-like ones), so all you need to do is to over-sow with a Ryegrass mix if it's so bad it's leaving bare patches. To "rough up" any bare areas and sprinkle a bit of Rye Grass mix will cost very little.
If it is on a bowling green or prize-winning lawn, an application of fungicide produced to kill that fungus, followed by an over-sowing of a Fescue mix would be my recommendation. Even then, dwarf Ryegrass is used on bowling greens so that's another consideration.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
SORRY my mistake

I was about to offer my services for that. Bloody hell.

I have looked after football and cricket pitches (on a voluntarily basis) and for a few grand I would have done it and you. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here