Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] *** Some Foreigners versus England *** Official match thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
During the first half last night Hudson-Odoi cut inside about 15 yards outside the penalty area, looked up and saw Sterling running on the other wing. He then played an inch perfect 35 yard ball to Sterlings feet, who killed it stone dead with his first touch before taking his man on. It was so perfect, I rewound it twice watch it again.

To think I had hope watching England teams with Geoff Thomas, Carlton Palmer and Keith Curle. It's like an alternate universe when you take into account how far the Albion have come as well. Credit to the FA. So many young players coming through.

And credit to Southgate for giving some of the good young players a chance. What is wrong with Sarri that he can't see why to start Hudson-Adoi? Shit manager. I hope he stays at Chelsea.

And like many, I have concluded that Southgate is a perfect fit for the national team. Maybe not the best club manager but ideal here. It is surely no coincidence that he quickly dropped all the twats, continues to pick up-and-coming talent with good attitude, and the results come?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
And credit to Southgate for giving some of the good young players a chance. What is wrong with Sarri that he can't see why to start Hudson-Adoi? Shit manager. I hope he stays at Chelsea.

And like many, I have concluded that Southgate is a perfect fit for the national team. Maybe not the best club manager but ideal here. It is surely no coincidence that he quickly dropped all the twats, continues to pick up-and-coming talent with good attitude, and the results come?

Indeed - Can't praise Southgate enough. If BFS hadn't downed a pint of wine and shot his gob off, we'd still be watching an England team with Jones, Cahill and Smalling at the back, Jack Wiltshire in the middle, 78 yr old Wayne Rooney up front and a defensive style of football that would make Chris's tactics away at the big 6 look positively adventurous.

I think we all owe the Guardian sting department a beer.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's not often I sit down and watch an England qualifier on the box, but this team is worth watching. Shaky at the back but so positive going forward. England are fun to watch again, it's very nice to be able to say that again.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think some credit needs to go to the FA for coming up with St. George's Park as the base for all things England. There is a coherence about the national set-up that wasn't there before, Southgate is really the first England manager to reap the harvest of St.George's Park and the fact he was there before getting the England top job means he knew how to harness the potential of it.

I think being coach of the England Under-21s will become an increasingly important job as there's a logic to that person being in line to take over from the England manager.

Southgate has showed how a bloke who has won bugger all as a manager can get to within a whisker of a World Cup Final, and it would be such a good thing if England could have a conveyor belt of coaches and consign the days of Sven, Cappello et al to the dustbin.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The absolute JOY of yesterday was the fact that Hudson Odoi was clearly told to go out there and GO FOR IT. If I was 18 making my debut with barely any club football I would just be thinking "pass the ball, don't lose it, play safe".

None of that yesterday. Every time he got the ball he wanted to face up his defender. Take him on. Every time it cut to Southgate he was applauding the effort.

Sure, the opposition were there to be beaten but the confidence shown in the players at the moment is really great to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here