Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Percy Tau

Lots of players have scored a good goal or two for us, without ever kicking on.

But he's played, like, 0 games since that goal? Not really much opportunity.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But he's played, like, 0 games since that goal? Not really much opportunity.

More opportunity than Moheto Molango, who played the same number of matches and scored as many goals (and not in a friedly)! Tau was with us for longer, and had much more opportunity to impress in training. I don't know why people are bothering about this - the manager looks at Tau, decides he's not good enough and the recruitment team find him a good home elsewhere; all good, not a problem.

You're assuming that it was the club that took the decision? Do we know this for sure? Why bother playing him in the pre-season game, in which he did well, if he was already surplus to plans?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It was his first touch that always looked off it to me. He had decent movement and could score a few goals in leagues where more space is available, but I remember a few sub appearances last season where the ball didn't stick with him upfront and put us under a lot of pressure - this is a very underrated asset of Maupay's imo, despite him not being the biggest build he can hold up play up front.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're assuming that it was the club that took the decision? Do we know this for sure? Why bother playing him in the pre-season game, in which he did well, if he was already surplus to plans?
Maybe the move to Egypt wasn't a done deal at the time? Maybe there hadn't even been an approach.

I think that's likely because you don't play players who are moving on due to injury risk. Anyway a shame, but these are always difficult decisions for a player Tau's age who is not playing regularly, he could have stuck it out here and done a Duffy, the raw talent was there IMO

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He was quite good against Citeh but looked pretty poor in other games, Leeds away springs to mind. Have a few shit games and Potter ships you out, especially if you don’t have a record of good performances to fall back on.

Connolly seems to have lasted

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
We signed him when we were in a very different position to where we are now.

Dare I say it, we are an established Premier League side now, with top 10 ambitions. His level of ability suited our position at the time, but not anymore.

Best of luck Percy, thanks for your time.

Not really. He joined us when we were a PL club finishing with around 40 points, and 3 years on we’re in exactly the same position. And when he joined we shipped him out on loan, probably because his level of ability didn’t suit us - and apparently still doesn’t.

But anyway, like others have said many of our other signings have pulled off - I’m guilty of remembering the Locadia’s, Anyone’s and Tau’s and ignoring the Veltman’s etc.

All the best Percy.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
He was on loan for work permit reasons, not ability.

We've progressed so much in 3 years. If you can't see that then you haven't been paying attention! Our points tally does not reflect our progress (although something tells me it will this season).

Ah yes, true about the work permit - my bad.

Re: improvement, I’ll believe it when I see that points tally rising above 41 at the end of the current season! :wink:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Not really. He joined us when we were a PL club finishing with around 40 points, and 3 years on we’re in exactly the same position. And when he joined we shipped him out on loan, probably because his level of ability didn’t suit us - and apparently still doesn’t.

But anyway, like others have said many of our other signings have pulled off - I’m guilty of remembering the Locadia’s, Anyone’s and Tau’s and ignoring the Veltman’s etc.

All the best Percy.

If you don't think we've progressed in the last three years then I suspect your view of football is very different to the majority of us who can see clear progress

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
More opportunity than Moheto Molango, who played the same number of matches and scored as many goals (and not in a friedly)! Tau was with us for longer, and had much more opportunity to impress in training. I don't know why people are bothering about this - the manager looks at Tau, decides he's not good enough and the recruitment team find him a good home elsewhere; all good, not a problem.

there's a fair bit of irony there , to Saffer fans we are/will be the team that brought him to the prem , we didn't give him a chance in their eyes and they have a passion about the game that rivals any brazilian or frenchman , we will be baddies for a while but i am enjoying winding them up on FB.....bless 'em.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Interesting take on this move from Benni McCarthy - basically very critical of Percy Tau for not staying and fighting for a place in the premier league. A bit different from all the Gram Potter has ruined his career, stuff we mostly hear from SA.

https://www.kickoff.com/news/articl...r-south-africans-in-the-premier-league/704512

hmm well yes after some SA fans were calling Taylor Richards a cow , which is a rather derogatory , term i called one of them a clueless twatt for which i got a 30 day ban......thats good isn't it...:annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here