Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Ex Brighton Pats , why are you living abroad ? What is your story?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pegging it means dying and Tony Blair is a ***t.

I think we all know what pegging it means. Sympathy for the personals and all that, but the UK was transformed for the better under TB while you have been away. Only the peevish jock put the boot in to what would have been another ten years without tory political pygmies, dragging us into austerity and Brexit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Got sick of customer service/ hospitality management work due to shit pay and hours, spent a grand and a month taking a CELTA (Cambridge teaching English to adults) course. Looked for the best paying destination to teach ESL outside of The Middle East - happened to be Korea at the time (2006). Been here ever since with a couple of years off travelling in India.
Went back to our favourite beach in India in 2008 to see our friend Ganapati - When we first met him in 2001 he had 3 small huts to rent for 40p each - no beds, toilets or running water - had to shit in the woods behind. This time he had a nice place with about 8 huts and a communal toilet/shower set up with some good Nepali cooks turning out decent food. Invested about £15,000 to help him consolidate some land disputes and create very a successful guest house and restaurant. He gave us our own little house (like a large 3 room potting shed but all you need there) just behind his guest house where we can stay any time for free. We've already had our £15,000s worth many times over and will be moving there permanently (10 months of the year) in 3 years time to coincide with my 50th and us achieving our savings/retirement target - thanks largely to the saving potential in Korea and some frugal living.

Astoundingly top work :bowdown::thumbsup:

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Oldest story in the book. Met a girl. While working at a summer camp in Connecticut on the Camp America scheme. Took a decade but ended up getting married, by which time she had moved to Maine. Beautiful state, long winters, live in the city of Portland which has become quite the foodie destination. Only a hundred miles from Boston too. As a teacher I get shorter holidays at Christmas and Easter, but a very long summer break of at least two months.....no complaints. And summers here are spectacular.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I lived in Vancouver for 4 years and loved it. So, without wishing to derail this very interesting thread (again) I'll briefly explain why I decided to live abroad (i.e., back in the UK).

Basically the lure of the South East was overwhelming. I could never live longterm anywhere else. During a short visit in 84 (the only time I came home in 4 years) it was like summertime in Narnia - the quality of the light, the smell of Brighton sea front, Cuckmere haven, London, the theatres, pubs, unbelievable music, people with opinions they didn't mind sharing, the humour, the spirit. There was no way I wasn't going to come home (2 years later). I have had quite a torrid subsequent 33 years in many respects, but I have no regrets. None.

I had a recurring dream in the late 80s of flying (like a bird) over Rottingdene (where I grew up for the first 5 lears of my life) with people waving blue and white FA cup banners....the FA cup season I missed....and not being able to reach land....nightmare....the smells of the sea side. Horrible dream. After I bought the house in which I still live, in Faversham, the nightmare stopped. The Albion got better briefly, then very worse, but the football and my life eventually got better (I got divorced and had debts, and a shit poor work-life balance till around 96). Then there was Gillingham....Withdean....better food, better lifestyle, better relationships....all the while the local countryside and beaches always kept me smiling. And the people. Plenty of *****, but so many lovely people.

Being in Vancouver for 4 years made me feel a foreigner in my own land when I came back. For years. But I quite liked that, weirdly. I still feel a bit out of kilter. It's quite....ennervating.

Vancouver is stunning, though. :rolleyes:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I lived in Vancouver for 4 years and loved it. So, without wishing to derail this very interesting thread (again) I'll briefly explain why I decided to live abroad (i.e., back in the UK).

Basically the lure of the South East was overwhelming. I could never live longterm anywhere else. During a short visit in 84 (the only time I came home in 4 years) it was like summertime in Narnia - the quality of the light, the smell of Brighton sea front, Cuckmere haven, London, the theatres, pubs, unbelievable music, people with opinions they didn't mind sharing, the humour, the spirit. There was no way I wasn't going to come home (2 years later). I have had quite a torrid subsequent 33 years in many respects, but I have no regrets. None.

I had a recurring dream in the late 80s of flying (like a bird) over Rottingdene (where I grew up for the first 5 lears of my life) with people waving blue and white FA cup banners....the FA cup season I missed....and not being able to reach land....nightmare....the smells of the sea side. Horrible dream. After I bought the house in which I still live, in Faversham, the nightmare stopped. The Albion got better briefly, then very worse, but the football and my life eventually got better (I got divorced and had debts, and a shit poor work-life balance till around 96). Then there was Gillingham....Withdean....better food, better lifestyle, better relationships....all the while the local countryside and beaches always kept me smiling. And the people. Plenty of *****, but so many lovely people.

Being in Vancouver for 4 years made me feel a foreigner in my own land when I came back. For years. But I quite liked that, weirdly. I still feel a bit out of kilter. It's quite....ennervating.

Vancouver is stunning, though. :rolleyes:

Glad you came home.

Easy to complain about the UK, but I love it - Brighton, the Sussex countryside, London, the history, varied music, theatre, a melting pot of nationalities like NYC, football, and most people. I just wish we had colder, snowier winters, so I envy the posters who live in Ottawa and Portland Maine for that. We have to get our snow fix by skiing trips to The Alps.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
As a kid I had no wanderlust what so ever. Now I'm older, I would be off to warmer climbs in a heartbeat. The missus has too many ties to her family so until they all cark it, I will have to live abroad through other peoples experiences......a holiday to Phoenix sounds on the cards next year!

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Born and lived in Brighton until 1973 when the company I worked for relocated from the West End (I was commuting) to Luton. One look at Luton warned me not to live there so bought a house in a little Hertfordshire village. I was refereeing in Brighton and continued this in Hertfordshire but returned at least once a month for a Goldstone visit. The Gillingham days were strangely easier for me as were mid-week away games. In the mid-90's I started attending a few Stevenage home games as they had reached the then named, Vauxhall Conference. Attendances were equal to Gillingham but it was only 10 miles to drive! Anyway that's where my avatar Boroseagull comes from - although Stevenage dropped the 'Boro' when promoted to the football league.

I always planned to retire as soon after 60 as possible and when mum died (in Brighton) it suddenly became the correct time to move to Spain - Spain you say? Well my love (and Mrs BS) is bird watching and what better place to be than Spain for my hobby. I just love it here, the weather, the birds, the pace of life, the cost of living, even taking Brexit into account. It meant we could have a superior lifestyle, a large house, pool, garden with loads of fruit trees and still part fund houses for our offspring in the UK.

Yes we do come back, and yes I do attend the AMEX at least once a year (ticket willing), yes I still love the Albion, yes I watch every game, thank you Sky and various streaming sites. Yes I read NSC every day, when not out birding and my computer room has an Albion fixture poster circa 1953 on the wall and various other 'Albionalia'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah it's a strange one in Sheffield. As you say, that was the original divide but now the nice areas of Sheffield are the South and West of the city. United areas geographically, rather than Wednesday who are in bandit country North Sheffield. #shithole

So there's an interesting split. Dronfield (just down the road from us) is about as far away from Hillsborough as you can get and still say you're part of the city, but it's almost all Wednesday. Presumably because it's quite posh, so the history has affected that.

You honestly never know when meeting someone in Sheffield if they are Blades or Owls until you ask them, as where you live makes no difference.

I've always enjoyed answering the question "No I'm Brighton mate, but I do hate Wednesday....".

My inlaws are split three ways, Rotherham, Blades & Owls. Some in the same immediate family.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Born in Bedford, moved to Denton near Newhaven age 6 and moved to London aged 8 . That 2 years gave me the Albion bug , went to games with neighbours standing on a milk crate in the north stand. My dad was never into football so followed without going to games. Then the Arsenal cup game in 87 I think. I had a lot of Arsenal mates so we decided to go. Loved it ! So when it was university time it was in Brighton essentially so I could get a season ticket. Stayed in Brighton for a few years after degree but went back to London. Then the usual jobs/ relationships etc found myself back in Sussex (H Heath and Ardingly via Brighton again ) and married with a daughter. This is all life / Albion related really but mid 40's I started to get a nagging that I wanted something more / different . I can never really place my finger on why exactly but I just had this feeling that I didn't want to carry on what I was doing and turn around when im 70 and say 'well I worked a lot' . One thing I did notice is that I was starting to live for holidays. I would go on holiday comeback and almost straight away start planning the next.
About 6 years ago we decided to try somewhere we had never been before and went to a little Croatian island. We fell in love with the place and went 3 years running to different islands. The typical holiday conversation of we could live here came up every time we saw the locals having a simple but great life . Then we started talking about maybe selling up and moving out to Croatia when our daughter goes off to uni etc (10 years time). That really started the ball rolling and we thought can we wait 10 years . I said to the wife that if we look at moving sooner it would prob have to be English speaking country for work etc. We decided New Zealand in about 5 mins as we had always wanted to come here. My wife is in IT in which they have a skills shortage so I said get cracking and 2 years later she got a job and we were off. I never really thought it would happen but just prayed it would as I was getting more and more disillusioned with life in the UK (again not sure why , maybe it was a mid life crisis of sorts).

So... We arrived at the end of 2016 got hit with a huge earthquake after 2 weeks but loved it. People are lovely we live by the beach , river , hills. We do so much more , we built our own house which is bigger and nicer than what we had before and still had money left over. I had a complete change of career and now work in real estate ( commission only!) where I work with a great bunch of people and am well supported. Hoping to win rookie of the year . More importantly than all that my wife and particularly now 12 year old daughter love it and would never go back. Yes I missed promotion and really miss my mates and my Saturdays with mates at football but I think on balance I am happier now and more content . Life is just … better . I don't have a hankering for permanent holidays as life is very laid back here and we just pack up the tent and head off to explore our new country for a few days here and there.

Who knows what will happen in the future and I wouldn't rule anything out but for now its good and that's good enough for me

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
During our Division 2 promotion season and after working at the UoS (and as bartend at K&Q and Brunswick Arms) I got a post at Columbia Uni in NYC. Spent 10 years on the Manhattan's Upper West Side before a planned trip permanently back to Brighton in 1988. This trip involved trekking through Mexico and South America first. After 3 weeks in Mexico I decided to make a side trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico to visit a girlfriend who was working at Coyote Cafe. Three days in I met the chef-owner there who needed an editor/co-author for his first cookbook. He also hired me as his AGM and one thing led to another -- by word of mouth I co-authored books with his celeb chef mates and 25 books later I moved to Hawaii (1998).

By this time I was working with two chefs in Hawaii and I wanted to raise my newly adopted kids here. They say the quality of life here is OK, and for sure it's a great place to raise multi-racial kids as Hawaii is a melting-pot historically. Now I've lived here 20 years, all the while following the ups and downs of our unique club, traveling back to see the occasional game -- sometimes in the erudite company of Harry Wislon's Tackle (funnily enough, HW was one of my fave players in the mid 70s).

Remarried last year, with the late-season Burnley away game as a honeymoon treat (Day 1) for the new 'Murrican Missus. Amazingly, we're still married. Day 3 of the honeymoon was spent taking the Amex tour and that's what hooked Mrs. KLS for life. We are able to watch the lads on NBC and our game highlights on NBCSN; she often drowns out the commentary with her chirrupy and quite adorable chanting. My roots are now here -- I've worked the Maui Economic Development Board for 10 years and I've had my real estate license for 18 years. We'll be back to visit often but I can't see moving away from paradise. Gotta say, Maui is a spectacular place and the pace of life is well mellow. It's addictive. Lucky we live aloha, my braddahs.
:hilton: :tumble:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
On NSC there are Brighton supporters living all over the world so there must be some interesting stories about how you arrived in your new countries.
Please tell us where you are and what is your story. Today I believe someone is in Panama on an earlier thread. Are you guys working?

I'm in Panama. Been here most of 2019, but only have 10 more days then I suppose I must head back to Canada.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Gotta say, Maui is a spectacular place and the pace of life is well mellow. It's addictive. Lucky we live aloha, my braddahs.

The day I spent with you showing me around Maui remains a genuine 'life highlight' and will stay with me forever.

Aloha from north Essex.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
On NSC there are Brighton supporters living all over the world so there must be some interesting stories about how you arrived in your new countries.
Please tell us where you are and what is your story. Today I believe someone is in Panama on an earlier thread. Are you guys working?

Maggie killed the industrial base,but the main reason of course was to beat the ******* tax man.Pleased to say I did.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
For those of you living in Australia, had you previously back-packed there in the 80’s or 90’s, falling in love with the place/climate?

You'd be surprised how few end up living here or in NZ because they backpacked around the place.
I'd never been here before but just jumped on a plane with the missus and 3 kids, I make that sound easy but believe me it wasn't.

With 550 SDU members, I've enough stories to fill a book about overseas Albion fans. I also get contacted almost every week by fans in far flung parts of the globe and I'm not sure why,
it is however great to hear from travelling Albion fans, trying to find places to watch the matches.

I get contacted a fair bit by travelling fans in the far east not just OZ & NZ, I remember one guy in the back of beyond in north Japan, desperately trying to find somewhere to watch the Boro match in 2016,
I did the groundwork for him and got him on a 3hr bus journey to Hachinohe.
Then there were the newlyweds 4hrs north of Perth in a camper van, when I told the guy he had no hope of watching it where he was, he proceeded to drive back to Perth.

One day I may even sit down and write that book, 9 years worth of material should fill a few pages.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I'd never been here before but just jumped on a plane with the missus and 3 kids, I make that sound easy but believe me it wasn't.

Very similar story here. I hadn't been to Canada when I applied to move there. I had been to check it out three times though by the time I actually moved, but each time was in January or February. I had no idea that the town I picked to move to was surrounded by lakes, they just looked like white fields to me in the winter. Definitely a bonus, though.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
During our Division 2 promotion season and after working at the UoS (and as bartend at K&Q and Brunswick Arms) I got a post at Columbia Uni in NYC. Spent 10 years on the Manhattan's Upper West Side before a planned trip permanently back to Brighton in 1988. This trip involved trekking through Mexico and South America first. After 3 weeks in Mexico I decided to make a side trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico to visit a girlfriend who was working at Coyote Cafe. Three days in I met the chef-owner there who needed an editor/co-author for his first cookbook. He also hired me as his AGM and one thing led to another -- by word of mouth I co-authored books with his celeb chef mates and 25 books later I moved to Hawaii (1998).

By this time I was working with two chefs in Hawaii and I wanted to raise my newly adopted kids here. They say the quality of life here is OK, and for sure it's a great place to raise multi-racial kids as Hawaii is a melting-pot historically. Now I've lived here 20 years, all the while following the ups and downs of our unique club, traveling back to see the occasional game -- sometimes in the erudite company of Harry Wislon's Tackle (funnily enough, HW was one of my fave players in the mid 70s).

Remarried last year, with the late-season Burnley away game as a honeymoon treat (Day 1) for the new 'Murrican Missus. Amazingly, we're still married. Day 3 of the honeymoon was spent taking the Amex tour and that's what hooked Mrs. KLS for life. We are able to watch the lads on NBC and our game highlights on NBCSN; she often drowns out the commentary with her chirrupy and quite adorable chanting. My roots are now here -- I've worked the Maui Economic Development Board for 10 years and I've had my real estate license for 18 years. We'll be back to visit often but I can't see moving away from paradise. Gotta say, Maui is a spectacular place and the pace of life is well mellow. It's addictive. Lucky we live aloha, my braddahs.

I'll be just across the water in Oahu on Friday, I'll give you a wave! :rave:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Basically yes, but ended up in NZ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here