Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Ex Brighton Pats , why are you living abroad ? What is your story?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
On NSC there are Brighton supporters living all over the world so there must be some interesting stories about how you arrived in your new countries.
Please tell us where you are and what is your story. Today I believe someone is in Panama on an earlier thread. Are you guys working?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
How long have you got left?

Scratches-on-a-cell-wall-Fremantle-Prison2-618x412.jpg

:lolol:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Does Yorkshire count as abroad? Been here 27 years and counting.

I escaped Yorkshire 27 years ago for Brighton! You were clearly a bigger Albion fan than I was a Donny Rovers fan. My kids all support their local team (Albion) and yours (from reading your comments on other threads) seem to have resisted the pull of Massive & United...?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I escaped Yorkshire 27 years ago for Brighton! You were clearly a bigger Albion fan than I was a Donny Rovers fan. My kids all support their local team (Albion) and yours (from reading your comments on other threads) seem to have resisted the pull of Massive & United...?
When my son was old enough to understand (about 3) I told him that it was his choice. As he was born in Sheffield (and in the correct side of the city) he could choose to support Sheffield United if he wanted, or he could support Brighton, because that's my team.

We both like United (and hate Wednesday) but he made the correct choice and is 100% Albion.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Worked for American Express for years in the GNOC, Rumours of it all moving to Portsmouth cropped up at the same time I was offered a job in Holland with IBM. Holland seemed a better choice than Portsmouth :lolol: Worked there with IBM and then KPNQuest in The Hague for 8 years. KPNQuest went bankrupt. Biggest bankruptcy in history at the time after we had moved to Brussels and had been working there a couple of years. Came back to UK and worked for Equant near Heathrow, then BT in Watford. 9 quid an hour at BT for living in London wasnt enough, asked for rise, but didnt get anything, so looked for something else. Had telephone interview with American Corp and was given the job over the phone. Moved to Frankfurt.Was working for them in Frankfurt for a couple of years, and they suddenly said, we are moving operations to Prague, you coming or is it goodbye. Kept my job and came to CZ with them. Ive been about haha

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
When my son was old enough to understand (about 3) I told him that it was his choice. As he was born in Sheffield (and in the correct side of the city) he could choose to support Sheffield United if he wanted, or he could support Brighton, because that's my team.

We both like United (and hate Wednesday) but he made the correct choice and is 100% Albion.

Respect. My kids didn’t even consider Rovers as an option as I was already at Albion every week with their Grandad before they were born. We do enjoy the odd Rovers away game when we can. Took me a while to forgive Dunk for murdering Billy Sharp.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Worked for American Express for years in the GNOC, Rumours of it all moving to Portsmouth cropped up at the same time I was offered a job in Holland with IBM. Holland seemed a better choice than Portsmouth :lolol: Worked there with IBM and then KPNQuest in The Hague for 8 years. KPNQuest went bankrupt. Biggest bankruptcy in history at the time after we had moved to Brussels and had been working there a couple of years. Came back to UK and worked for Equant near Heathrow, then BT in Watford. 9 quid an hour at BT for living in London wasnt enough, asked for rise, but didnt get anything, so looked for something else. Had telephone interview with American Corp and was given the job over the phone. Moved to Frankfurt.Was working for them in Frankfurt for a couple of years, and they suddenly said, we are moving operations to Prague, you coming or is it goodbye. Kept my job and came to CZ with them. Ive been about haha

Wow! That is some journey.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Respect. My kids didn’t even consider Rovers as an option as I was already at Albion every week with their Grandad before they were born. We do enjoy the odd Rovers away game when we can. Took me a while to forgive Dunk for murdering Billy Sharp.
Yes, it's fortunate that Billy has Lazarus style powers as somehow he's still BANGING the goals in for United.

It's been a grind for me supporting Brighton and living up here. For years and years it was "what division are they in?" "But they're shit aren't they" "oh you play at that athletics stadium" etc.

When Virgo scored v Swindon me and my Darlo supporting mate were the only people in a packed pub watching the game, on a small TV. We went ****ing mental as everyone else wondered what the **** was going on.

Or, walking to the pub one Saturday past a load of builders on a scaffold "WEDNESDAY ARE SHITE!" Me - "It's not a Wednesday shirt, I'm Brighton". Builder - "OH, SORRY MATE!".

But oh, how the tables have turned. He who laughs last.....

The nipper has only known the good times but he understands the past. I love the fact that he can lord it over all his United and Wednesday mates because he supports the Albion. It's like karma.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wife needed a warmer climate to stop her from pegging it and Tony Blair.
You had to move to stop your wife from pegging Tony Blair? Should have let her and sold the story to the NOTW for about half a mil (with photos).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Came to Malta on holiday and decided that we would retire there.
My eldest brother died suddenly at 55 after taking early retirement. We decided to go and live in Malta as you cannot be sure of what will happen. (Originally for a year as we both had jobs that would allow us to take a year out)

Nearly 16 years later we are both still working and love living here.We even qualify for a Maltese pension:)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Pegging it means dying and Tony Blair is a ***t.

Use some punctuation then as what you wrote implied something far more amusing (maybe Google pegging, or maybe don't).

Hope the Mrs is ok btw. I was only making a mildly funny (IMO) joke about TB......

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Came to Malta on holiday and decided that we would retire there.
My eldest brother died suddenly at 55 after taking early retirement. We decided to go and live in Malta as you cannot be sure of what will happen. (Originally for a year as we both had jobs that would allow us to take a year out)

Nearly 16 years later we are both still working and love living here.We even qualify for a Maltese pension:)

Is a Maltese pension mainly chocolate based?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Use some punctuation then as what you wrote implied something far more amusing (maybe Google pegging, or maybe don't).

Hope the Mrs is ok btw. I was only making a mildly funny (IMO) joke about TB......

All good, I am getting ready for a gig and can get a bit edgy just before and I was taught that you never use a comma before the word and.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Had wanted to move to Canada ever since I saw Cool Runnings as a kid.

Had a Working Holiday Visa in 2013, met a Canadian girl whilst travelling and working on the East Coast. She sponsored me to become a Canadian resident, and despite subsequently breaking up, I decided to remain in Canada. Now, however, I'm in Ottawa!

I wouldn't give up the access to nature, low cost of living, and four distinct seasons for anything! Love it here.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Used to have a aviation security consulting firm in Sussex in the 90’s. Saw an ad to work for the UK govt for 3 years, based in Miami, responsible for security oversight in the UK’s Overseas Territories. Applied and got the job. It lasted 5 years due to 911 and then became a consulting role until 2012. After the first 5 years i reopened the consultancy, this time in Miami and also moved into maritime security work. Have since worked on projects across major US airports, with major cruise lines, and also on contracts in NZ, Philippines, and actoss Latin America. Now living in Bermuda for the next 2 years while working on a new build airport terminal. Still have home in Parkland Florida, where the recent school shooting was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here