Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Jenkinson's, 1980s bar

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I know we supported Aswad more than once at the Top Rank, along with most of the Reggae bands of the era..as well asThe.Beat, Selector, Specials type bands, but dont have a recollection of Aswad at Jenkinsons. Top Rank told us never to bring our sound system again, as when the bass dropped the lighting started rattling and the plastic part of the balcony started to hum :lolol: Jenkinsons was more intimate tbf

I definitely saw Aswad but maybe it was the Top Rank, I did manage to get into some gigs there after I left school, but I was still under 18. Missed. so many decent bands at the suite between the ages of 14 to 17.
I did see Gregory Issacs, think that was the Top Rank.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Gosh I remember it well!
I think I was at all of those!
I seem to remember U2 playing there as well?

U2 definitely played there, one of my good friends that I went to gigs with back then was really into U2.
I didn't see them but I remember some of my friends going.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
U2 definitely played there, one of my good friends that I went to gigs with back then was really into U2.

Supported by the Comsat Angels. Top gig.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw the Troggs there, crowd of about 50

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
If that was Marine Parade, yeah, fabulous nights we did there.
We were initially paid to do parties there by the landlord to get some old woman tenant out of the place. Paid, and money on the door we took it, but the old lady was a dear old girl, so we said to her that we were going to do some parties there, and we would put her up in a hotel when we played. She responded as I would expect my mother would have done. No dear, you go ahead, its lovely to hear young people enjoying themselves, we got her chocolates, cakes and flowers each morning after we finished. The British Legion hated us with a passion, and a lot of racism was bandied around about it. My mother was a British Legion member and gave a few a tongue lashing over their racism haha.

Thats the one. I remember the lady that lived below. We asked her about the parties and she said she was fine with it so long as she remembered to take her ornaments of the mantle piece cos' the bass made them fall off. She was great! And I think you'll find the landlord was Hoogie who's M.O was to drive out sitting tenants like this. She wasn't going anywhere though. He had another place in 2nd avenue that regularly got the same treatment. Crazy days.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

U2 played at the Top Rank the evening of the Norwich FA cup 1/4 final if I recall correctly

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wasn't there jenkinsons and papa jenks?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Jenkinsons on Sunday night was brill early 80s , saw Killing Joke , Dead Kennedys , TOH , Bunnymen , New Order , Ruts DC , Tenpole Tudor and plenty of forgettable acts also .

Just reading the thread again and cursing my memory, I've already posted seeing Dead Kennedys and Tenpole Tudor.
After seeing your list I remember seeing Killing Joke and Ruts DC.
I wasn't bothered about Echo and The Bunnymen back then, but I like them now.
Theatre of Hate, brilliant band, saw them in Brighton but I don't think I saw them in Jenkinsons.

U2 played at the Top Rank the evening of the Norwich FA cup 1/4 final if I recall correctly

I'm sure you are correct, I was never into U2.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Thats the one. I remember the lady that lived below. We asked her about the parties and she said she was fine with it so long as she remembered to take her ornaments of the mantle piece cos' the bass made them fall off. She was great! And I think you'll find the landlord was Hoogie who's M.O was to drive out sitting tenants like this. She wasn't going anywhere though. He had another place in 2nd avenue that regularly got the same treatment. Crazy days.

Makes sense. We were not in contact with that ****, it came through a 3rd party. Our Bass speakers were 18inch American Electro Voice, and seriously thumped, so i can see the ornaments coming a cropperl She was a nice old dear
When we played at the Abinger, the entire bar staff quit on the spot when we dropped the bass the first time, and left the bar manager running up and down the bar pushing the bottles back on the shelves as they slowly moved to the edge haha

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I saw Gary Glitter at the Top Rank Suite, whatever happened to him?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I do remember Athletico Spizz 80 playing at the Top Rank ( now that really was a great live music venue!)
I was working at the Old Ship Hotel at the time and the band we’re staying there that night, I was completely star struck!

Just deciphering the above.. were you working at the Old Ship in 1980 ?

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I was a lounge waiter probably a bit later than that.
I do remember serving breakfast in bed to Ray Davies and Christie Hynde way before they “got a together”.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Saw Nazareth in the early seventies at the Top Rank, Budgie mid seventies and The Jam in 1977, when Paul Weller was being covered in spit and stopped the gig, and telling them he would be off if they carried on like that.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Jenkinsons was on the ground floor of the Top Rank Suite. The entrance was on the seafront elevation at pavement level. When it was first opened it was very swanky and you went there to be seen. You could have a three course meal and watch a show. All the cool people went there which is why I only got in there once but I did manage to snatch a quick snog with a Brighton page 3 girl.
Sherrys was more my bag. That place was legendary.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
IMG_6500.JPG

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I was a lounge waiter probably a bit later than that.
I do remember serving breakfast in bed to Ray Davies and Christie Hynde way before they “got a together”.

Ah, i was there mid 86 to early 88ish, working all over - Banqueting upstairs in both waiting and bars, day/night portering, and main dispense - Great days, shame i got the sack for writing obscene ditties about head of banqueting on the linen.. bloody grasses.. :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here