Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Montserrat

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
El Salvador have just gone 2-0 up over Jamaica with less then 10 minutes remaining. This is bad news for the Montserrat boys as it pushes them down to 9th. They have to finish at least tenth to meet the big boys in the Gold Cup.

There are 3 games tomorrow that will decide their fate. If Canada beats or draws with French Guiana at home AND Barbados win or draw at home against Nicaragua, Montserrat will qualify. If either of those things doesn't happen (but not both), they will still qualify if Dominican Republic and Bermuda draw.

I think I've got that right.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not over until the fat lady sings

montserrat_caballe_wide-78e360affd7773bcb98234baa522e50c943356ab-s800-c85.jpg

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm pretty sure Shoreham recently had a goalkeeper who played for Montserrat. Can't remember his name

Nick Taylor (although his name is also given on Wikipedia as Nicholas Taylor-Greaves and Nicholas Taylor Mills-Greaves, and on Transfermarkt as Nicholas Greaves). He was the goalkeeper for Shoreham when our U-18s played them in a friendly in July 2015. Just for good measure, Shoreham had 4 other Montserratian internationals in the side that day! Jermaine Bell, Calvin Petrie, Terrell Miller and Clifford Newby-Harris.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Nick Taylor (although his name is also given on Wikipedia as Nicholas Taylor-Greaves and Nicholas Taylor Mills-Greaves, and on Transfermarkt as Nicholas Greaves). He was the goalkeeper for Shoreham when our U-18s played them in a friendly in July 2015. Just for good measure, Shoreham had 4 other Montserratian internationals in the side that day! Jermaine Bell, Calvin Petrie, Terrell Miller and Clifford Newby-Harris.

Surely that is the record for the number of players that went on to be Internationals that Shoreham U18s have ever fielded in 1 match!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But *cough* she did have a British grandparent *cough*.

Indeed. Thatcher chaged the law in 1981 so that people with absolutely nothing to do with the UK, but had a British granny would be eligible to be actual citizens (category of passport holder and rights obtained was and still is very complicated, nevertheless). This wasn't specifically done for Budd (though Thatcher absolutely loved her, and her cause was promoted avidly by, guess what? Yes, the Daily Fail) but was done to allow the descendents of white folk who tamed the savages of our Empire the right to vote conservative in British general elections. Even so, Budd's citizenship was rushed through at unprecedented speed, specifically so she could complete under our flag, a process beyond what was appropriate, even under Thatchers new laws. My reading of 'lex sanguini' as it is now is that citizenship can be acquired by virtue of parentage, but grandparentage no longer applies (although it certainly does apply with respect to football 'nationality' as we saw with the West Ham player - albeit if another country such as Eire wants to confer citizenship on grounds of national interest that's nowt to do with us - he was always British so I gather).

And the UK has always had the flexibility to grant citizenship when it suits the national interest. I would certainly be in favour of making Bruno British so he can play for England in Legends football tournaments.

Anyway, all of this is preferable to how it was in the 80s, when everybody knew you can't actually be English and black.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An incredibly quick one, too, given how fast that citizenship turned up. Coincidentally, wasn't it just before an Olympic games or something?
Did she have a British grandparent or not? I had assumed there were rules, like needing a grandparent from the country or something, but nowadays it seems like there are no rules at all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. Thatcher chaged the law in 1981 so that people with absolutely nothing to do with the UK, but had a British granny would be eligible to be actual citizens (category of passport holder and rights obtained was and still is very complicated, nevertheless). This wasn't specifically done for Budd (though Thatcher absolutely loved her, and her cause was promoted avidly by, guess what? Yes, the Daily Fail) but was done to allow the descendents of white folk who tamed the savages of our Empire the right to vote conservative in British general elections. Even so, Budd's citizenship was rushed through at unprecedented speed, specifically so she could complete under our flag, a process beyond what was appropriate, even under Thatchers new laws.
So she got her passport faster than would usually happen. Doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me. But now countries can just bid for the best athletes? That makes a mockery of countries competing in sport.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So she got her passport faster than would usually happen. Doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me. But now countries can just bid for the best athletes? That makes a mockery of countries competing in sport.

I can recall a Brazilian playing football for Croatia, Maoris playing rugby for England, a Kenyan running for (I forget - Turkey?). In these cases we have competitors not good enough to play for their birth country getting citizenship somewhere with less competition for places - a win for the competitor and a win for the nation. It may well be about money, but it is also about the chance to compete. The Brits, Germans and Americans (and others) don't do it as a rule (no need, allowing us to be snooty about other nations). I disagree with you about Budd though - that was a Mail-sponsorded tory-supported bit of 'doing our bit for the whites versus the wogs' that stank to high heaven. Thatcher eh? At least she didn't invite murdering dictators like Pinochet into the country.

Oh.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone else own up to thinking Montserrat was somewhere seriously boring in Europe, probably near Switzerland or that really boring seaside part of northern France?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Surely that is the record for the number of players that went on to be Internationals that Shoreham U18s have ever fielded in 1 match!

It was the Shoreham first team, not the U-18s (it was Albion's U-18 side they were playing). And the five "men" were already internationals.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree with you about Budd though - that was a Mail-sponsorded tory-supported bit of 'doing our bit for the whites versus the wogs' that stank to high heaven.
But you're talking politics in general, I'm just talking about what country and athlete should be able to represent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here