Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Birmingham City club debts *** 9 POINT DEDUCTION ***

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'Arry confirms it was nothing to do with him.

Man, he must just be SO unlucky. Keeps accidentally going to clubs who then have completely unrelated money-issues shortly after he leaves. Poor guy!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
SKY SOURCES: Birmingham City given immediate nine-point deduction for breaching EFL’s rules on Profitability and Sustainability.

OUCH!! Puts them back in the relegation picture.
Sadly not even close to ouch. 5 points above relegation is more of a slap on the wrist. They need to grow a pair and go with instant relegation and, if you are relegated then you go down two divisions. All the time the fine is just to finish a bit further down the table then clubs will keep trying it on. And I don't buy this "Not fair on the supporters" guff. It isn't fair on the supporters of other clubs when a team breaks the rules and you don't hear the fans of that team complaining when the gamble works.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
5Live reporting that “Brum fans are relatively happy with this sanction, it could’ve been far worse”. It has no material effect on this season and gets the punishment out of the way so not adversely affecting next season.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'd like to see sanctions dished out evenly. Birmingham get 9 points deducted but City got a fine which, honestly, would have had little to no effect on their bank balance.

(BIG) Points deductions all round I think. Fines and transfer embargoes aren't enough of a deterrent, IMO.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
On a 4 game losing streak and West Brom, Leeds and Sheffield United are the next three before travelling to Ipswich in a 6 pointer. Not a great time to be dragged back into the mire, could be very damaging for them.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd like to see sanctions dished out evenly. Birmingham get 9 points deducted but City got a fine which, honestly, would have had little to no effect on their bank balance.

(BIG) Points deductions all round I think. Fines and transfer embargoes aren't enough of a deterrent, IMO.
Although in PSG's case they could probably deduct 20 points from them and they'd still win the league.

Points deductions and banning from European competitions, that'd work.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
On a 4 game losing streak and West Brom, Leeds and Sheffield United are the next three before travelling to Ipswich in a 6 pointer. Not a great time to be dragged back into the mire, could be very damaging for them.
Good. Cheats should not prosper.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You’ll be told different governing bodies, but that should excuse the way ManC and PSG have financially cheated their way from nothingness to collecting all the pots.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They've basically got away with it then. 5 points above relegation, they'll probably be alright. At least it gives them something to play for in the run-in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sadly not even close to ouch. 5 points above relegation is more of a slap on the wrist. They need to grow a pair and go with instant relegation and, if you are relegated then you go down two divisions. All the time the fine is just to finish a bit further down the table then clubs will keep trying it on. And I don't buy this "Not fair on the supporters" guff. It isn't fair on the supporters of other clubs when a team breaks the rules and you don't hear the fans of that team complaining when the gamble works.
Indeed. Avoid relegation, and the penalty means nothing.

Exactly.

I bet Leicester rue the day the cheated FFP. The same goes for Bournemouth and, probably, Wolves.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I would imagine player morale will be afffected.

If a lot of this has been caused by players on silly wages (so now we know why Stockdale really went there....) then how many are still there on the same wages? Won’t they just breach FFP again next season?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I don't understand all the negativity about Harry as he is the best at what he does !!

Nobody else could trash Football Clubs with the same stile which he repeatably demonstrates.

Give him his head and he could potentially ruin Citeh !

E1788FB3-8ED8-4BCC-9BB8-7C7FED44C43B.jpeg

I’d love to see dear old “Arry” weilding that bugger.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
I dont see how anyone can blame Harry!!!! His job is to get the best players he is ALOUD!! It is up to the who ever is in charge of the finances to say yes or no!!! Why should Harry get a cheaper player if he is aloud the more expensive one, that makes no sense at all.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Although in PSG's case they could probably deduct 20 points from them and they'd still win the league.

Points deductions and banning from European competitions, that'd work.

Yeah it has to mean something to the club. It should feel like a kick in the nuts to whomever is on the receiving end.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I dont see how anyone can blame Harry!!!! His job is to get the best players he is ALOUD!! It is up to the who ever is in charge of the finances to say yes or no!!! Why should Harry get a cheaper player if he is aloud the more expensive one, that makes no sense at all.

Why do you think almost every single club Harry Redknapp manages end up in financial or legal trouble shortly after?

Genuine question.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Definitely a big say, Poyet tried it, then whinged when TB finally drew a line.

But the Owner Seniors are the senior management, in charge of their subordinate and in charge of finances. Either they’re stupid or they too got greedy for success built on borrowed sand (Risdale).

Nothing to do with John Stephenson bringing in Roland Bergkamp, Burke bringing in players that he didn't want either? Ken Brown was spending money like water too. All of whom got their marching orders very smartish, although one took longer than the others to get found out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So that 9 point punishment will probably end up being meaningless. How did they arrive at the figure of 9 points ? Luton were deducted 10 points for financial chicanery a few years ago (plus another 20 points for insolvency). So why 9 points ? Why not 10, or 12 ? OK, how about this.

They’re being punished for cheating FFP. Therefore, they’ve cheated all the other clubs in the division who have stayed within the rules. So instead of a random, arbitrary number of points to deduct that may or may not have an effect, why not deduct enough points to put them 1 point ADRIFT at the bottom of the table ? That way, you’ve instantly given a lifeline to 1 or more clubs battling relegation, as well as removed them from any potential promotion battles. You've not only punished them, you've also benefited all the other clubs that they’ve cheated against. One club will immediately rise above the relegation line as a result. Maybe sometimes it will all but relegate them at a stroke, maybe they’ll still have a fighting chance of staying up, but either way, it’s a tangible PUNISHMENT that will benefit the teams that they cheated against.

Can’t see a problem with that meself.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Can’t see a problem with that meself.

Apart from this season Ipswich and Bolton are so shit-house that leaving Birmingham 1 point behind them would effectively relegate all 3. Actually I quite like that idea.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nothing to do with John Stephenson bringing in Roland Bergkamp, Burke bringing in players that he didn't want either? Ken Brown was spending money like water too. All of whom got their marching orders very smartish, although one took longer than the others to get found out.

I was referring to the whinge that the club weren’t thinking as big as him, in not signing VVD, which gave rise to flirting with Cardiff and Reading job offers when he should’ve been 100% concentrating on his highly paid job of managing BHAFC’s playing side.

Poyet had a huge say on transfers, think CMS in and Muzza out. Barber’s arrival allowed TB to rein in some of Poyet’s power, his signing ideas were scrutnised.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here