Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Birmingham City club debts *** 9 POINT DEDUCTION ***

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I started reading that but then realised it was mostly an opinion piece for some DULLARD to spout his boring NONSENSE.

Hope points deductions start happening. The application of FFP has been pretty pathetic and toothless in most cases up to now.

Breaking the rules should be seen for what it is, cheating.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
and he will be back !

He's a shit manager. Get him out of here.

But what I want to know is who, pray, is this expert fellah giving informed quotes? :rolleyes:

Kieran Maguire, a football finance expert and senior accountancy lecturer at the University of Liverpool, believes Birmingham have broken the limit by more than £11million, which would put them close to the maximum penalty that is triggered for breaches of more than £15million.

Speaking to Press Association Sport, Maguire said: "Birmingham City, after a few years of relative austerity, went for broke under Harry Redknapp.

"The club invested heavily in the playing squad with a combination of big-money transfers, such as record signing Jota, free agents on huge wages like (goalkeeper) David Stockdale and loans.

"The strategy backfired, the club struggled and Redknapp was sacked. The EFL are unhappy with the club's cavalier approach to financial fair play and are expected to make a ruling in February with a wide range of potential sanctions."

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I don't understand all the negativity about Harry as he is the best at what he does !!

Nobody else could trash Football Clubs with the same stile which he repeatably demonstrates.

Give him his head and he could potentially ruin Citeh !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
He's a shit manager. Get him out of here.

But what I want to know is who, pray, is this expert fellah giving informed quotes? :rolleyes:

Kieran Maguire, a football finance expert and senior accountancy lecturer at the University of Liverpool, believes Birmingham have broken the limit by more than £11million, which would put them close to the maximum penalty that is triggered for breaches of more than £15million.

Speaking to Press Association Sport, Maguire said: "Birmingham City, after a few years of relative austerity, decided upon broke under Harry Redknapp.

"The club invested heavily in the playing squad with a combination of big-money transfers, such as record signing Jota, free agents on huge wages like (goalkeeper) David Stockdale and loans.

"The strategy surprisingly backfired, the club struggled and Redknapp was sacked. The EFL are unhappy with the club's cavalier approach to financial fair play and are expected to make a ruling in February with a wide range of potential sanctions."
Sadly these potential sanctions / decisions from the EFL/EPL don't ever invoke any restrictions on charlatans continuing to shaft Football Clubs despite their best efforts which seem merely to benefit their own personal balance sheet !

Best

Right and Proper Person ! :eek:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't understand all the negativity about Harry as he is the best at what he does !!

Nobody else could trash Football Clubs with the same stile which he repeatably demonstrates.

Give him his head and he could potentially ruin Citeh !

Chairman/owners/CEO’s are the only people responsible for busting clubs. A role call that includes Risdale, various CP owners, etc.

Redknapp, O’Leary and co are just managers on the playing side, they have no control over bank accounts and aren’t the bods who commit to player contracts. Whether they’re persuasive is irrelevant.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Chairman/owners/CEO’s ( and the EFL/EPL perhaps ) are the only people responsible for busting clubs. A role call that includes Risdale, various CP owners, etc.

Redknapp, O’Leary and co are just managers on the playing side, they have no control over bank accounts and aren’t the bods who commit to player contracts. Whether they’re persuasive is irrelevant.

I know what you are saying but surely any 'decent' manager would have some input - if I was appointed as manager and, having previously received assurances on appointment, about club finances and playing budget etc., I would then subsequently be saying, yeah but can we really afford that !

That, of course, if I wasn't only accepting the appointment on the basis of self interest - Oh hang on ! :ffsparr:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know what you are saying but surely any 'decent' manager would have some input - if I was appointed as manager and, having previously received assurances on appointment, about club finances and playing budget etc., I would then subsequently be saying, yeah but can we really afford that !

That, of course, if I wasn't only accepting the appointment on the basis of self interest - Oh hang on ! :ffsparr:

Definitely a big say, Poyet tried it, then whinged when TB finally drew a line.

But the Owner Seniors are the senior management, in charge of their subordinate and in charge of finances. Either they’re stupid or they too got greedy for success built on borrowed sand (Risdale).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Summer transfer bid for Che Adams? They'll need the cash.

Saw Birmingham v Blackburn live and he scored both goals. Sitting around me were about five people who I was told were scouts. He is seriously good - I'm not surprised people are watching him. Brum fans resigned to losing him but in complete denial about FFP.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
SKY SOURCES: Birmingham City given immediate nine-point deduction for breaching EFL’s rules on Profitability and Sustainability.

OUCH!! Puts them back in the relegation picture.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47667742

Birmingham City will be deducted nine points by the English Football League for breaching profitability and sustainability rules, reports BBC WM.

The sanction would see Blues drop from 13th to 18th in the Championship, five points above the relegation zone with eight games to play.

Losses in excess of £13m per year over a three-year period are not accepted under EFL rules.

An Independent Disciplinary Commission considered the matter on Monday.

There is no official confirmation of the punishment from the EFL at this stage, but it is understood that there will be no further financial penalties for the club, nor would they be under a future transfer embargo relating to this issue.

They are the first club to be deducted points since the EFL introduced their new profitability and sustainability regulations at the start of the 2016-17 season.

In January Birmingham revealed a £37.5m loss to the end of June 2018, largely a result of their wage bill rising from £22m to almost £38m.

They were put under a transfer embargo and allowed to make just one pre-season summer signing, defender Kristian Pedersen, and have since continued to work closely with the EFL.

The embargo was lifted before Championship clubs were warned at a meeting in September of potential penalties - as high as 21 points - for breaches of spending regulations.

Blues had, by then, been given permission to sign five more loan players in August, but they were allowed only one signing in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here