Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Is All A Bit Surreal

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I'm not buying it to be honest. Huddersfield were rubbish but would have been good value for a point based on how the game went. Ultimately, they couldn't take either of the decent chances they created but Ryan was just as busy as Lossl was, without too much room for argument. It was a good cross from Knockaert and a good header from Andone which settled it in our favour, huge result. Then the performance at Palace which was, in my opinion, poor. Brilliant result and a wondergoal to settle it in our favour but I'm not getting too excited about it and then Millwall, where we needed a ridiculous and amateurish error from an overhit freekick to get us out of jail.

I'm not suggesting people shouldn't be getting carried away, there's nothing wrong with the positivity - I just don't feel it.

If you can’t be positive about being an Albion fan right now then you might as well pack it in and find a new hobby. :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let’s also hope the players don’t take the OPs view that we have ‘absolutely no hope’ against Citeh.
I feel that we've got no hope too, but if we manage to beat Southampton, it'll feel like we're safe, and we (and the players) can enjoy the cup game even more.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's alright. You can be grumpy on your own. We don't mind.

Thank you. :)

If you can’t be positive about being an Albion fan right now then you might as well pack it in and find a new hobby. :shrug:

What I was talking about is totally different from positivity about the Albion generally. We're safe in the Premier League, with an FA Cup semi-final to look forward to and the best Brighton team we may ever see in my lifetime. It's a long way from a few people scrabbling around the Priestfield watching the worst Brighton team I ever wish to see. I am very positive about the position of the club currently but I'm not buying all the faux positivity. This place would have been in utter meltdown had we not beaten Palace with a wondergoal and then not benefited from a catastrophic error. The butterfly flapped her wings in our favour which is great, but it's such a fine line between perceived success and failure. I'm just a realist.

Also, I have plenty of hobbies. Football's just one of them.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The QF against Millwall was an education for my son, who was naturally very disappointed that we were going out. I've always told him anything can happen in football. For him to see that's true was brilliant.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
I feel that we've got no hope too, but if we manage to beat Southampton, it'll feel like we're safe, and we (and the players) can enjoy the cup game even more.

Really? They’ve lost to Leicester, Newcastle and Palace this season and have a champions league game 3 days later. They’ll take this game for granted. See those straws...? I’m clutching at em!

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Thank you. :)

What I was talking about is totally different from positivity about the Albion generally. We're safe in the Premier League, with an FA Cup semi-final to look forward to and the best Brighton team we may ever see in my lifetime. It's a long way from a few people scrabbling around the Priestfield watching the worst Brighton team I ever wish to see. I am very positive about the position of the club currently but I'm not buying all the faux positivity. This place would have been in utter meltdown had we not beaten Palace with a wondergoal and then not benefited from a catastrophic error. The butterfly flapped her wings in our favour which is great, but it's such a fine line between perceived success and failure. I'm just a realist.

Also, I have plenty of hobbies. Football's just one of them.
Grandma. Balls. Grandad.

The goals v Palace were magnificent. Even the Locadia goal was a special finish.

Yes good fortune with the keeping but we did get comfortably the worst draw possible.

Think you're on the wind up

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Grandma. Balls. Grandad.

The goals v Palace were magnificent. Even the Locadia goal was a special finish.

Yes good fortune with the keeping but we did get comfortably the worst draw possible.

Think you're on the wind up

Yep. Believable until the faux positivity.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Does this mean Southampton are going to beat us 0-3?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Had this discussion the other day with regard to Withdean. From the moment we moved in we felt that we only had one or at most two seasons left there. Many thought we should batten down the hatches, keep costs to a minimum (we certainly did that) and leave our ambition until we hit The Amex (Falmer as was).

I said I thought most clubs want either success or the yo-yo that makes football interesting, staving off relegation can sometimes be as exciting as getting promoted (albeit the lead up is very different).

We're lucky that as a club we've never been "set" in a Division. Even our recent long run in The Championship was on the brink of promotion (and even relegation).

I honestly don't care where we are so long as we play good football, the club are living within their means and I get a beer and a chat with my mates, don't get me wrong I do want us to win The Champions League one day, but much like The Premier League, only if we don't finish the club off attempting it; I don't think we'll ever know how things would've ended up had we not gone up two years ago.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
To be honest the win over Palace and making the Semis is purely papering over the cracks.

The Millwall performance was poor and the Hudds game wasnt all that inspiring. We really need to dig out some big performances in April. I believe we can stay up but its not going to be pretty. Id take a draw against saints and 3 points against Cardiff right now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CH needs to keep the players fully focussed on the Saints game. Cup run SHOULD BE a minor distraction. Never forget how these players moronically blew a SEVEN point lead in the Championship with three games left to play. Wembley is a grand day out for the fans and the directors, but 'this group of players' should have far bigger fish to fly. Like maintaining their PL status.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really? They’ve lost to Leicester, Newcastle and Palace this season and have a champions league game 3 days later. They’ll take this game for granted. See those straws...? I’m clutching at em!
Well I do like the CL fixture, but unfortunately it's only against Spurs, so not exactly something for them to get excited about.

I also find that it's best to have no hope. My daughter has insisted I get tickets for us to go, so we'll be there, but I've brainwashed her to believe we've lost already. We're just going for a day out, and to show support etc. That way, when we lose, it's what we were expecting. Hope is the last thing we need, it's the hope that kills you.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the team - they need to believe.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm not buying it to be honest. Huddersfield were rubbish but would have been good value for a point based on how the game went. Ultimately, they couldn't take either of the decent chances they created but Ryan was just as busy as Lossl was, without too much room for argument. It was a good cross from Knockaert and a good header from Andone which settled it in our favour, huge result. Then the performance at Palace which was, in my opinion, poor. Brilliant result and a wondergoal to settle it in our favour but I'm not getting too excited about it and then Millwall, where we needed a ridiculous and amateurish error from an overhit freekick to get us out of jail.

I'm not suggesting people shouldn't be getting carried away, there's nothing wrong with the positivity - I just don't feel it.

I didn't see Hudders or Palace but for Millwall, however shit we were the officiating was worse. With VAR we're through to the semis within 90 minutes IMO. To add, with VAR in the PL I think we're midtable at this time and safe. I hope we're in the PL next year to reap the benefits of the new technology.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's alright. You can be grumpy on your own. We don't mind.

I don't see much wrong with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] taking the Hughton approach to game/season management.

If next Saturday the team all play up to their actual ability or better still Propper's recent levels, we are going to look a bit silly for saying 'hang on a sec'.

But if they continue to be as poor as they have been for this calendar year, get a rude awakening from Southampton, this place will be melting with melts.

Posters really ought to have some grasp of reality esp as the best team we've ever seen in the stripes is just 5 (6) points from relegation.

As the gaffer says, 'don't make the highs too high, or the lows too low'.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
CH needs to keep the players fully focussed on the Saints game. Cup run SHOULD BE a minor distraction. Never forget how these players moronically blew a SEVEN point lead in the Championship with three games left to play. Wembley is a grand day out for the fans and the directors, but 'this group of players' should have far bigger fish to fly. Like maintaining their PL status.

I’m pretty sure he’s got enough about him, and the squad have enough about them, to juggle/use the respective games as follows: v Saints get the performers in v Millwall into starting XI and tell them they’re not guaranteed a spot against city without a big game here and respectively those that come out v Saints tell them they’re in a straight fight for a Wembley spot. Win win all round.

Specifically I’m thinking point to prove for Groß/Andone [if fit] and put Knockaert/Murray on high alert that they’re lucky to be involved... March and Locadia could arguably replace them v Saints and tell them to repeat their cameos for 70 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here