Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Catalonia Squad for upcoming friendly

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Here is the full squad that Gerard Lopez has named:

Goalkeepers: Isaac Becerra (Nástic de Tarragona), Edgar Badía (Elche).

Defenders: Martín Montoya (Brighton), Gerard Piqué (FC Barcelona), Marc Bartra (Real Betis), Aleix Vidal (Sevilla), Dídac Vila (Espanyol), Marc Cucurella (Eibar), Marc Muniesa (Girona).

Midfielders: Víctor Sánchez (Espanyol), Xavi Hernández (Al Sadd), Pere Pons (Girona), Óscar Melendo (Espanyol), Joan Jordán (Eibar), Alex Granell (Girona), Oriol Romeu (Southampton), Aleix García (Girona).

Forwards: Sergio García (Espanyol), Bojan Krkic (Stoke City), Marc Cardona (Eibar).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How does that work? Catalonia are not a country..it is a province of Spain!

It's like having a yorkshire football team.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't tell Wales, Northern Island or Gibraltar then....

Ssshhhhh....

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

But doesn't FIFA / EUFA Kregard them as separate countries for football terms. Wasn't that all the fuss about having a GB team for the Olympics because they thought that FIFA could use it a second an excuse to get rid of the special agreement!

Sam

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How does that work? Catalonia are not a country..it is a province of Spain!

It's like having a yorkshire football team.
Catalonia are struggling for independence from Spain. While having their own football team won't make a lot of difference, it will nevertheless give encourage the supporters of Catalonian independence, as well as narking the Spanish government to a considerable degree. Just a pin-prick in the whole tapestry of history, maybe, but still a good move for the Catalans.
Yorkshire, o the other hand, is not seeking independence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Catalonia are struggling for independence from Spain. While having their own football team won't make a lot of difference, it will nevertheless give encourage the supporters of Catalonian independence, as well as narking the Spanish government to a considerable degree. Just a pin-prick in the whole tapestry of history, maybe, but still a good move for the Catalans.
Yorkshire, o the other hand, is not seeking independence.

Its not a recent move! They've played 200 games!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In 1908 England played Bohemia (now part of the Czech Republic) and Hungary. Both "Nations" were part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at that time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I can't help thinking Spain needs to have a rethink over it's relationship with some of it's more nationalist regions. I always supported the Spanish state over their stance over Catalan independence but that doesn't mean inter-Spanish relationships shouldn't be reconsidered. And in a sporting context, surely there are parallels with the UK and our national football teams? I do wonder if Spanish people generally look at the UK and wonder whether a similar model might work for them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Here's all the first team players on international duty
via https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/march/albion-break-international-record/

first team players.png

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yorkshire are way back in the queue for nationhood. The Cornish have their own language, their own political party, and they are geographically separate. The arguments for Cornish separatism are far stronger than that of Yorkshire IMO. In fact, I don't really see what marks Yorkshire out as any more different than any other fiercely proud old county, of which Sussex is one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkshire are way back in the queue for nationhood. The Cornish have their own language, their own political party, and they are geographically separate. The arguments for Cornish separatism are far stronger than that of Yorkshire IMO. In fact, I don't really see what marks Yorkshire out as any more different than any other fiercely proud old county, of which Sussex is one.

And we used to be an independent nation! Until we got conquered by the bigger nation of Wessex. ********.

(And yes I accept applying the modern concept of nationhood to Anglo-Saxon, pre-unified England is a little bit of a stretch)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here