Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] A nation divided like never before- who do you blame

Who are you blaming? Multiple votes allowed

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If your description of 'centre' is still sitting where it got moved to under the Blair/Cameron era, I just don't think we are.

Rutger Bregman, and many others, are making a strong case that the 'centre ground' (if that is thought of in terms of ideas broadly accepted as common sense) is no longer where we thought it was. And ideas that would previously have been seen 'extreme' (citizens income, wealth taxes, higher income tax, nationalised transport, green new deal etc) are now supported by a signficant %, and in some case a majority. And this is most likley has some way to go yet as we get to grips with the real challenges of solving climate change, dealing with the rise of the robots, reducing monopoly power, financialization and so on.

Even on this forum i have seen people saying they agree with almost all Labour policy, but then saying that they are still too 'extremist' to get elected.

Who knows what the hell is really going on, or how all this will pan out in the long term.
But my guess is that the centrist dads club of NSC are in for a few shocks in the coming years.

Yes, if/when all of this finally comes to some form of conclusion it's hard to see the country rushing back to the middle ground.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Where's the option for Brexiteers?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Leavers. Plain and simple. If you start interfering with the framework upon which many people have build their lives, their families, their livelihoods, their business then it stands to reason you’re going to be met with strong resistance and probably despised and never forgiven. Why would you?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Started reading the thread but it descended into binfestery within about five posts. So I'll just post my answer.

The question isn't "who's responsible for the current mess?" It's "who's responsible for the divided nation?".

So the answer is"the **** Cameron for calling it on in the first place" as Danny Dyer said.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
We are to blame but nobody wants to admit it. We have to have someone else to take the blame.
We elected these politicians that we moan about. We voted for Brexit. The responsibility rests with us.
That is how our democracy works. Doubt anyone will agree with me but there you go.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Actually the ERG must take much of the blame; characters such as Bill Cash and John Redwood sowed the seeds of this mess many years ago.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
We are to blame but nobody wants to admit it. We have to have someone else to take the blame.

We elected these politicians that we moan about. We voted for Brexit. The responsibility rests with us.

That is how our democracy works. Doubt anyone will agree with me but there you go.

I do agree. We get the politicians, and the politics, we deserve.

Have you joined a party and fought for the ideas you believed in to be taken up? Have you contributed to party funds? Have you joined a Union? Gone out on the streets campaigning? Most people do none of this, Fair enough. But don't then sit behind a keyboard and moan about politics and call them all useless caaants etc.

That said, i'll still blame Cameron. The stuck up Caaant.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I blame successive governments for allowing stealth changes to how Europe operates. It was supposed to be a group of trading nations with common rules but has become a complex monster that restricts the individuality of its members.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The majority of MPs in parliament dont give two shits what i think,why the frvck should i have to compromise for being a winner on the winning team. What compromises would remain make to leavers if they had won? Thats right frvck all.

My original comment was about some voters failing to recognise legitimate differences in perspectives. However, your many responses on Brexit threads suggest your mind is completely locked and bolted, thereby illustrating my view that this is part of the problem.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The majority of MPs in parliament dont give two shits what i think,why the frvck should i have to compromise for being a winner on the winning team. What compromises would remain make to leavers if they had won? Thats right frvck all.

And what has your winning team won exactly ? :lolol:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He called the referendum, which resulted in this mess whichever way you look at it. It’s the referendum result that has divided the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the outcome of the vote, wasn't the country already divided over the issue? (some were just in blissful ignorance of the views of those who wan't to leave and how many felt that way or simply didn't give a hoot about or were just dismissive of their views before the referendum)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The tabloids and their 20 year agenda of "make shit up and blame the EU for it". Plus obviously May & Cameron.

Then you would have to blame the readers of these papers for believing their bull.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The problem is the amount of time taken so far and that nothing has been settled, with multiple delaying tactics coming into play.

The vote was leave / remain. It was not leave with a deal or remain yet Parliament has decided that a deal needs to be in place first before we can leave.

They (MP's) seem to think that it is all down to us and are forgetting about the other interested party in all of this, the EU and what they want and need from an agreement for our leaving.

Business (and other sectors) simply wanted a decision made long before we leave about how we leave (with or without a deal) so they can simply plan or it and adjust their strategy accordingly. What we have are Politicians that don't seem to realise this, and are determined to drag the process out for as long as possible (it may be a tactic they are using in an effort to try to get their personal goal, ie no Brexit)

A good way to demonstrate this is that someone has been given a job as a teacher at a new school, what that person would like to know is what subject they will be teaching at that school, what we have is the decision makers delaying and arguing over who does what that it's going to adversely affect the teachers ability to plan for lessons (ordering materials, and putting together lesson plans, etc for the subject they get)

Because we have almost run out of time, the teacher may end up ordering materials and lesson plans for several subjects (wasting time and money in the process) they may gamble and get materials for a particular subject (like chemistry) only to find that they are going to teach another subject (like maths) - If they knew what was going to happen when they start (the subject they will be teaching) then they can get ready for it and the day they start will be a lot smoother and they will be prepared for whats ahead.

Politicians, who are not affected in this way by the outcome of decisions like this in the same way as businesses will be fail to see the importance of having a decision made early and therefore allowing businesses to plan. Any disaster to the economy we encounter after leaving will be more down to this indecision and lack of notice as politicians dither rather than down to Brexit itself.

The fact that politicians have also stopped the Government from preparing for a no deal Brexit is also likely to be very damaging should we leave with no deal (again they fail to see the need to plan ahead as it is not something that's as important in their role as a politician)

There is also a lot of scaremongering out there which is likely to lead to shortages as people stockpile unnecessarily. It would be like a rumour going around that we are running very short of petrol and likely to run out in a few days time, and what happens is that everyone will rush out and fill their cars up with fuel, leading to a spike in demand and causing a shortage which wouldn't have otherwise happened. (cause and effect)

It's not if we leave with or without a deal that's the important factor, but the amount of time left after that decision has been made that is crucial - and MP's are determined to run the clock out (some are playing party politics in the hope of grabbing power, others because they completely oppose Brexit, even though it was a simple single topic referendum and produced a leave result which they do not want to happen and will do all they can to sabotage)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here