Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] A nation divided like never before- who do you blame

Who are you blaming? Multiple votes allowed

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gordon Brown. Terrible leader and had he resigned before the election in 2010 then Labour may well have won if you bear in mind that it should have been a shoe in for Cameron as idiots were blaming Labour for the global downturn!!

Nigel Farage for his continual drip feed of anti EU and anti foreigners.

The Leave and Remain campaigns for failing to educate the voters about the implications of voting one way or another. Leave for all the lies and Remain for the emphasizing fear without backing it up with facts. At the time everyone went to the ballot box, they should have been aware of what default tariffs would apply on a 'no deal' basis, how it would affect the Irish border,

TM for pushing for A50 before there was any consensus as to what leave should actually mean (which should have been established before the referendum anyway!).

The Russians for their influence.

55 Tufton Street and all the mysterious organisations that reside or used to reside there!

And finally, all those that voted for something they didn't understand. Probably they were on both sides but I would suggest predominantly those on the Brexit side of the argument who voted for blue passports, more fish and a host of moronic headlines in the papers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The term 'retard' (except in the slang meaning which I did not intend but you clearly decided must be the case) refers to someone whose skills are obstructed in some way - in this case the skill of recognising an alternative viewpoint i.e. being blinkered from adhering exclusively to their own perspective. That is the case on both sides of the argument which you seem to conveniently overlook.

You have weaponised the term in order to serve your own purpose, and by so doing you show an unwillingness to engage in proper debate. Is that clear?

You're digging yourself a big hole. In this day and age, you don't use the word. You can look up your clever definition but it's not acceptable. Apologise for the use of the word and just replace it with dumb ****wits when describing most leavers!!!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Theresa May.

This could have been resolved if she had not Insisted on her red lines that mean a hard brexit.

To get a consensus she should have included that 48% and 52%, not just the 5% of ERG and Brexit hardliners in her own party.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I blamed all of them.

Being a bit of a masochist I tune in to BBC Parliament when I get home from work to listen to the debates before the "meaningful" votes and other major Brexit debates like the one last night. I have been staggered by how few MPs actually bother to turn up for the debates. This is the biggest political issue in this country since <insert here> and yet during the debate before the second meaningful vote there were less than a dozen MPs on the government benches and only around twice that number on the opposition benches. They all then turn up to vote on the proposition without participating in the debate on the proposition.

Idiots the lot of them.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Ahhh .... the second remainer this week to use the offensive term 'retard' ..... such a nice bunch ! Looking forward to your use of the words mong and spastic.

And when have I tried to shutdown debate ?

It's says 'Lever' for his name though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Simon Cowell for showing the country it's ok to vote for a dog in a talent show.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The majority of MPs in parliament dont give two shits what i think,why the frvck should i have to compromise for being a winner on the winning team. What compromises would remain make to leavers if they had won? Thats right frvck all.

I get what you're trying to say, but in this cluster**** there really are no winners. Everyone on every side has lost.

And not just lost, we've been spanked.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
End of the day ..... Labour would never accept any deal brokered by the Conservatives & the Conservatives would never accept any deal put forward by Labour .... and the LibDems would just ignore the referendum totally

No deal will ever get through Parliament due to the fact its been hijacked by party politics & was never a cross party process

IMHO its now left at either No Deal Brexit or remain .... nothing else will get a majority as MP's are entrenched and not willing to compromise even the tiniest amount

Oh and dont forget the EU of course have probably put the boot in and made life as difficult as possible simple for having the audacity to ask to leave.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
We're even divided on who to blame.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
End of the day ..... Labour would never accept any deal brokered by the Conservatives & the Conservatives would never accept any deal put forward by Labour .... and the LibDems would just ignore the referendum totally

No deal will ever get through Parliament due to the fact its been hijacked by party politics & was never a cross party process

IMHO its now left at either No Deal Brexit or remain .... nothing else will get a majority as MP's are entrenched and not willing to compromise even the tiniest amount

Oh and dont forget the EU of course have probably put the boot in and made life as difficult as possible simple for having the audacity to ask to leave.

It still astonishes me that some folk thought it would be the UK's call. The EU never wanted this to succeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

They might have wanted to but as the UK began the process putting it's trust in David Davis and then processed to go downhill from there, the EU haven't even been given the chance to screw the UK over.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The tabloids and their 20 year agenda of "make shit up and blame the EU for it". Plus obviously May & Cameron.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Theresa May. Worst PM ever. She has got this totally wrong right from the start as the nation's leader. The vote was so close that even if Brexit was happening, a responsible leader had to take note of the millions who voted to Remain (ie a softer version). She has refused to genuinely seek consensus, blocked parliament from doing its job properly, run down the clock effectively holding a gun to MPs and the country's heads, listened only to some far-right faction in her own party, put saving her own skin and party ahead of national interest, come up with a 'deal' no one likes, and blamed everyone else for her own failings. The EU are reasonably doing exactly what could have been (and was) predicted, looking after the interests of the other 27.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
the EU haven't even been given the chance to screw the UK over.

That's what I find funniest - we've done such a job of ballsing this up, the EU haven't even had to really budge from their initial views. This is all our own doing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
[/B]

It still astonishes me that some folk thought it would be the UK's call. The EU never wanted this to succeed.

By agreeing to an insurance policy PUT FORWARD BY THE UK GOVERNMENT ?

Does make it laugh everyone refers to "them" as the "EU". It's actually all the other countries who've taken a remarkably unified front. Unfortunately the Tories thought they could play one off against the other and it hasn't worked.

Why would Ireland bend over to the UK, when it's got France and Germany fighting it's corner ?

Hilarious.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I feel like our education system has had a role to play here.

I'm almost 34 and my knowledge of politics for the bulk of my youth came exclusively from my parents. We may have touched on the general idea in school that we have a Parliament and a Prime Minister and that every four years or so people get to vote in a massive election. There was certainly no specific teaching about politics, about how government functions, about the EU or anything of the like. Instead we got history classes about the American West or medicine through time. Our PSE (Personal and Social Education) classes focused largely, from my recollection, on sex education and the need to start thinking about your future because guess what?! You've got exams coming up and you need to decide, at twelve years old, what you want to do for the rest of your life or you're going to struggle!

I don't have kids so I don't know if its changed but for me, I think political education needs to start early. This shit, however nuanced and woolly a lot of it is, is f**king important. It matters. F**k the American West and I don't give a whiff of a shit about medicine through time; as long as my doctor knows how to diagnose and treat me then I'm all good. It's a difficult one to implement though. Teachers will have their own views on the subject matter so how do you keep party bias out of the teaching? I don't know. But there has to be something. You can't have kids getting to 14 / 15 / 16 with their only knowledge of politics being what they've taken on themselves to learn or, in my case, what they've picked up from their parents shouting at the news.

So yeah, that.

Also, David Cameron.

EDIT: INB4 people think I'm saying "all Leave voters are uneducated swine". That's not what I'm saying at all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here