Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Very expensive phone call

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
While she should obviously have stopped when asked it is an utter fallacy that mobile phones have any affect on the operation of an aircraft.

You say this. But I was on a flight last November which was attempting to land in fog and at the limit of allowable cross winds. The pilot spoke to us about the landing, from memory he was landing manually using the instruments and with ATC guidance, and I distinctly remember he asserting that he needed everyone to adhere to the mobile phone policy as it can interfere with communications. After the flight I chatted and was told pilots can sometimes pick up, in their headsets, that noise we hear when a phone is used near a radio.

I guess they routinely ask for phones to be turned off in case they have an unexpected emergency during take off and landing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, that was one scary landing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Seagull Line on Brighton 8049 wasn’t cheap either - the number of 10p coins I wasted on finding out we’d lost to some team like Oldham, away, on a Tuesday night. :tantrum:

....and it's bad news for the albion!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Seagull Line on Brighton 8049 wasn’t cheap either - the number of 10p coins I wasted on finding out we’d lost to some team like Oldham, away, on a Tuesday night. :tantrum:

.... it was the number for Albion information every day, twenty four hours a day ....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You say this. But I was on a flight last November which was attempting to land in fog and at the limit of allowable cross winds. The pilot spoke to us about the landing, from memory he was landing manually using the instruments and with ATC guidance, and I distinctly remember he asserting that he needed everyone to adhere to the mobile phone policy as it can interfere with communications. After the flight I chatted and was told pilots can sometimes pick up, in their headsets, that noise we hear when a phone is used near a radio.

I guess they routinely ask for phones to be turned off in case they have an unexpected emergency during take off and landing.

I have no issue with what happened to the woman - the pilot is god in the plane. BUT I used to work for the CAA SRG ( I'm guessing where [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]'s neighbour works ) and I can categorically state there is not a shred of evidence to prove that mobile phones affect any part of the operation of a plane. And that is directly from the team of experts at the CAA.

Another little titbit for you - they don't ask you to adopt the brace position because you are more likely to survive ..... it's something far more gruesome than that !

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I have no issue with what happened to the woman - the pilot is god in the plane. BUT I used to work for the CAA SRG ( I'm guessing where [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]'s neighbour works ) and I can categorically state there is not a shred of evidence to prove that mobile phones affect any part of the operation of a plane. And that is directly from the team of experts at the CAA.

Another little titbit for you - they don't ask you to adopt the brace position because you are more likely to survive ..... it's something far more gruesome than that !

So all the bits stay together?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’m just passing on what the pilot said. You say there isn’t a shred of evidence to suggest mobiles can interfere with the radio communications in a similar way to which me and you can hear with radios, hifi etc. Are you saying that no pilot has ever experienced this? I can’t say I’m bothered either way but it’s puzzling why you say this and a pilot says opposite. Any pilots on here?

As an aside, I used to work at the CAA , in the Chief Scientist group on Kingsway. Long time ago though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What a selfish and inconsiderate passenger. So glad they'll get a load of grief for deciding they can do what they like with no regard to others.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Flying back from working in Manchester tonight, I was sat at the front of the plane with my noise cancelling headphones on. We taxied our fine but then I noticed we seemed to be heading back to the terminal. The captain then makes a speech about doing what cabin crew tell you and that someone was being removed from the flight.

I thought it might be someone who was drunk but it turned out that some woman was using her phone during the taxi and refused to finish her call so the crew had to stop the take off. It was only a smallish plane and she was sat in a window seat. It took four armed police 20 minutes to get her off the plane and she was still fighting them as she was being taken back into the terminal.

Crew say she will be charged with endangering an aircraft and also resisting arrest. That will be a very expensive phone call.

20 minutes and armed police? meh
You try taking the phone off an average teenage girl???

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Found out that we'd signed both Craig Maskell and Paul McDonald from Southampton on that line. Met with pure emotion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

“Scientific research has shown that mobile phones can...cause interference in pilot’s headsets.”

From your former employer’s http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=5752

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ridiculous, a lot of people don't even put their phones in airplane mode and they continue to use the network during flight.

Poorly handled..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here