Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Question for plumbers....

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We have mixer taps in the kitchen but while the hot tap works no problem, yesterday evening the cold stopped working. When you turn the handle simply nothing comes out. No gurgling or clunking, just dry.
Cold and hot is working everywhere else just this one tap in the kitchen.

Doesn’t appear to be a leak anywhere but just wondering if anyone here knew what this could be?

The tap unit is a strange one as it a sealed unit and I can’t figure out how to get in there.

Thanks in advance people!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have mixer taps in the kitchen but while the hot tap works no problem, yesterday evening the cold stopped working. When you turn the handle simply nothing comes out. No gurgling or clunking, just dry.
Cold and hot is working everywhere else just this one tap in the kitchen.

Doesn’t appear to be a leak anywhere but just wondering if anyone here knew what this could be?

The tap unit is a strange one as it a sealed unit and I can’t figure out how to get in there.

Thanks in advance people!

Not by any means a plumber, but recently had almost the exact same issue with a kitchen mixer tap. Cold didn't stop altogether, but was limited to a trickle. Stripped and rebuilt the taps - wasted an hour or two of my life. Bought a new set for about £40 and all good.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not by any means a plumber, but recently had almost the exact same issue with a kitchen mixer tap. Cold didn't stop altogether, but was limited to a trickle. Stripped and rebuilt the taps - wasted an hour or two of my life. Bought a new set for about £40 and all good.

Thanks, I think you’re right that it’s a tap problem and hopefully nothing more sinister, problem with our taps is I can’t figure out how to get into them, they’re strange sealed unit things. Obviously there must be a way but I’d only Frank Spencer it all up if I started messing!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It'll be a leaking flugel valve, or possibly the undulator.

Easy fix - hit it with a hammer. Not a mallet, a hammer.

This didn't work, for mine, sadly.

I was expecting the quick fix the internet had promised me, to earn me MAN POINTS.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks, I think you’re right that it’s a tap problem and hopefully nothing more sinister, problem with our taps is I can’t figure out how to get into them, they’re strange sealed unit things. Obviously there must be a way but I’d only Frank Spencer it all up if I started messing!

Probably a cap / panel on the outside of the knob, that needs prising off with a blade - then you'll access a screw inside that will allow you to take the knob off.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Probably a cap / panel on the outside of the knob, that needs prising off with a blade - then you'll access a screw inside that will allow you to take the knob off.

Okay , I’ll give it a go. As long as I cut off the stopcock not much can go too wrong I guess. I’ll wait until Mrs TC has departed for work. That way I’ll have a few hours to redecorate the kitchen. And reattach the sink and floorboards before she gets back :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Okay , I’ll give it a go. As long as I cut off the stopcock not much can go too wrong I guess. I’ll wait until Mrs TC has departed for work. That way I’ll have a few hours to redecorate the kitchen. And reattach the sink and floorboards before she gets back :)

Check first to see if you have an in-line valve in the cold feed directly under the sink taps? Then you just need to shut that, and all your other taps in the house (and toilets, obvs) will not be out of action.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Check first to see if you have an in-line valve in the cold feed directly under the sink taps? Then you just need to shut that, and all your other taps in the house (and toilets, obvs) will not be out of action.

Good shout. I know where that is. Behind the years of accumulated carrier bags and cleaning products!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Post a picture or the tap in question.
Is it a lever tap or normal tap?
Some times (if old tap) they get overtightened and the inner thread will go further than it should and won’t be able to be wound out.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Post a picture or the tap in question.
Is it a lever tap or normal tap?
Some times (if old tap) they get overtightened and the inner thread will go further than it should and won’t be able to be wound out.

12C4D258-1F9F-45AA-A9DD-A8CB9FDBAB0B.jpeg

It’s proper old. Whole thing needs replacing but just wanna get it going in the meantime.
Thanks.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

The isolating valve will start leaking when you turn it, so you'll end up turning all the water off anyway.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The isolating valve will start leaking when you turn it, so you'll end up turning all the water off anyway.

Noted, to be honest, it’s gonna be easier just to turn the lot off . Don’t need water elsewhere for a while as it’s only me at home today.
Typical eh, get the place to myself for a day and this happens.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here