Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Referee has live microphone for an entire match

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012

Found this very interesting. Based on this, it can only be a good thing for the refs to be mic’d up?

Firstly, it would very quickly put an end to players crowding round screaming down the refs’ throat but it also humanises the referee and would hopefully make it so much easier to understand where certain refereeing decisions come from.

With the introduction of VAR, hopefully this will quickly follow suit.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
When I used to ref I talked to the players all the time, made sure they knew exactly why I had given a decision. You could see the look on some of their faces was like “just shut the **** up”!

You will never please everybody...

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
i found that really interesting. Would love the premium refs to be mic'd up. Think they would really have to step up their game if they knew we could all listen in.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Just like rugby. It actually adds to the match experience if you know why a
ref made the decision and their comms. Bring it on.

That welsh ref is amazing - tells players to **** off and everything :)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Great idea, can you imagine what it'll do for Mike Dean already inflated ego :lolol:

yes ....indeed , delivering his decision limerick form whilst hopping from foot to foot like a mad man.......i watched that game in question above and apparently this ref is off to the u.k to officiate in the near future.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I like his style. Will be interesting to see a foreign ref in The Championship next season.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Won’t be long before there’s a 5 yard penalty for interference

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida

Was watching the England Scotland game at the weekend and was surprised to see the ref had a "dash cam" on his shirt. I suspect "The complete and" would have it facing him all the time.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester

Nigel Owens has never told a player to **** off. He commands the respect required of a referee in rugby and ensures he gets it. Sometimes he will come out with some very funny comments, usually when telling the players off like naughty school children.

Famous one here where Chris Robshaw is complaining about a French player slowing the ball down. He is quickly put back in his box!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There was a whole documentary like this from the European Championship a while back (possibly 2008?) - mostly subtitled, but it did make a good watch.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Nigel Owens has never told a player to **** off. He commands the respect required of a referee in rugby and ensures he gets it. Sometimes he will come out with some very funny comments, usually when telling the players off like naughty school children.

Famous one here where Chris Robshaw is complaining about a French player slowing the ball down. He is quickly put back in his box!

Another classic was during a premiership game. The scrums were being problematic and not staying straight. Just as he reset the scrum he informed the front rows that ‘he was straighter than that’ referring to the last scrum. Nigel Owens is gay .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here