Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Montoya not on pitch for the penalties

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Surely you'd choose Ryan as your one not to take, but also seems a weird rule to me, why should the Albion have one less penalty taker just because Millwall had a player sent off?

We get to choose the player who misses out... presumably the weakest penalty taker... whereas they lose someone, presumably, more critical. Does seem to be an advantage to me.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think if you've just assaulted a player on the pitch and been sent off you shouldn't be allowed to take part in penalties and if you get to the 11th pen and the other team are one up then so be it, you lose. Might stop thuggish wankers from trying to break someone's ankles.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think if you've just assaulted a player on the pitch and been sent off you shouldn't be allowed to take part in penalties and if you get to the 11th pen and the other team are one up then so be it, you lose. Might stop thuggish wankers from trying to break someone's ankles.

I'll pretend this is what I originally meant.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Another odd one when Millwall were having their huddle on the pitch before the pens (or was it before ET) Harris said something to Skalak and ushered him away which was strange as other subs were included. Maybe it was to spy or something!!! Der der deeeeer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Surely you'd choose Ryan as your one not to take, but also seems a weird rule to me, why should the Albion have one less penalty taker just because Millwall had a player sent off?

If the penalties remain level, score for score, miss for miss, then we would have our least favourite to score. i.e. the last person to take one up against their favourite to score i.e. their first taker again in sudden death phase.

Edit. I see you have already been thoroughly embarrassed on this, sorry.:)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I completely agree, if your get to 10 penalties each and one team has 11, the other 10 due to a red card, then if the 11th pen is scored they are through. You'd have to adjust this rule however for a team that was down to 10 through injury and used all their subs. That seems fair enough, especially if 20 pens hasn't been able to break the deadlock as it is.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Because if it had gone to 10 all, 'Wall would then have their best penalty taker having another go against our worst pen taker.

Yet our supposed Best penalty taker was the one who missed :)

(This isn't having a go at Murray, by the way )

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I heard that the excitement was just too much for his tiny raisin eyes to cope with, so he went inside to shield them

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We'd rather have fewer takers. Once Millwall's first 10 had taken one, they'd be back to their first choice, so it wouldn't be good for us to then go to our 11th choice.

EDIT - I see this has been covered already. In an hour or two I'll be posting to say that actually, Montoya did celebrate at the end with the others.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Because if it had gone to 10 all, 'Wall would then have their best penalty taker having another go against our worst pen taker.

Surely a better rule - which punishes the team who are down to 10 men - is that we decide who takes their 11th penalty, before it goes back to the start again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely a better rule - which punishes the team who are down to 10 men - is that we decide who takes their 11th penalty, before it goes back to the start again.
But whoever we chose would be someone from their first choice of 10, while we have to play our 11th choice.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bizarrely I'm just watching it in the Emirates lounge at Dubai airport, and saw Montoya on the pitch celebrating at the end. So he did celebrate with the team

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy theory thread !!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here