Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Montoya not on pitch for the penalties

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone know why?

Didn't join in celebrations from what I could see either. Injury?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Anyone know why?

We had to nominate a player not to take a penalty due to their red card, perhaps could be due to that? Seems strange he would leave the field (he may have had to), but not joining in the celebrations is even stranger. In short, I have no idea. Hope this helps.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely you'd choose Ryan as your one not to take, but also seems a weird rule to me, why should the Albion have one less penalty taker just because Millwall had a player sent off?

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Surely you'd choose Ryan as your one not to take, but also seems a weird rule to me, why should the Albion have one less penalty taker just because Millwall had a player sent off?

we'd have probably struggled with a penalty shootout if wed nominated ryan to leave the pitch...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
we'd have probably struggled with a penalty shootout if wed nominated ryan to leave the pitch...

Not leave the pitch obviously. But not be one of the ten taking penalties.

I'm baffled why the team that didn't have a player sent off should be punished?! Daft rule unless I've missed something glaring.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston

I'm baffled why the team that didn't have a player sent off should be punished?! Daft rule unless I've missed something glaring.

its not really a punishment, if it had got that far, we would have had our presumably worst penalty taker taking a pen, whilst millwall revolved back round to presumably their best. You have to nominate a player to leave the pitch to even the sides, if wed nominated ryan he would have had to leave.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

We would be punished if it got to 10 all and they go back to 1st choice taker and we get our last choice taker

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Because it would be Brighton who would be punished. Assume its 10-10, our 11th player (Montoya) is taking the 11th penalty, but they get to have their best penalty-taker taking theirs

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because if it had gone to 10 all, 'Wall would then have their best penalty taker having another go against our worst pen taker.

its not really a punishment, if it had got that far, we would have had our presumably worst penalty taker taking a pen, whilst millwall revolved back round to presumably their best. You have to nominate a player to leave the pitch to even the sides, if wed nominated ryan he would have had to leave.

Because it would be Brighton who would be punished. Assume its 10-10, our 11th player (Montoya) is taking the 11th penalty, but they get to have their best penalty-taker taking theirs

Aaaaaaand there's the glaring thing I missed. Cheers.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

In the unlikely event of it being even after 10 pens each, we would be left with presumably our worst penalty taker to take the 11th while they would be back to their 1st choice.

Edit- god, my typing is slow :drool:

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston

In the unlikely event of it being even after 10 pens each, we would be left with presumably our worst penalty taker to take the 11th while they would be back to their 1st choice.

Edit- god, my typing is slow :drool:

Keep up Dad :lol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bizarrely I'm just watching it in the Emirates lounge at Dubai airport, and saw Montoya on the pitch celebrating at the end. So he did celebrate with the team

Look, it's already been made very clear that I've had an absolute mare on this thread, please don't compound it...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
not joining in the celebrations is even stranger. I

he did. not injured.

montoya.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here