Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Semi Final Neutral Stadiums

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Pre ‘New Wembley’ days of the games would have been played in different stadiums often picked geographically to suit the two teams in each match, where would the two semi finals be played this year then if not at Wembley?

My thoughts would be Wolves v Watford at Old Trafford and us v Citeh at the Emirates?

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Pre ‘New Wembley’ days of the games would have been played in different stadiums often picked geographically to suit the two teams in each match, where would the two semi finals be played this year then if not at Wembley?

My thoughts would be Wolves v Watford at Old Trafford and us v Citeh at the Emirates?

It should still be this way. Wembley for the final only. Greedy FA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hugely expensive stadium to pay for/justify FA.........so many corporate sponsors/hangers-on to keep happy FA......

I personally don’t see any need for a national stadium. That England on tour thing they did when Wembley was being rebuilt was hugely popular and also beneficial in many ways. Whoever came up with this idea needs a pat on the back :wink:

And today there’s plenty of very large stadia around the U.K. for the very big games.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I personally don’t see any need for a national stadium. That England on tour thing they did when Wembley was being rebuilt was hugely popular and also beneficial in many ways. Whoever came up with this idea needs a pat on the back :wink:

And today there’s plenty of very large stadia around the U.K. for the very big games.

Agreed......rotating England games around the country was brilliant.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Used to often be Hillsborough, and Villa Park as I recall.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Totally agree and I don't understand why the FA got a load of stick when they were selling it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Old Trafford would suit Watford and Wolves? It's well north of both of them. Villa Park, almost certainly (which would also have the advantage of fans approaching from opposite directions, not the same one).
Tricky one though - Villa Park would probably be the most geographically neutral for us and City too; guess the Emirates would do as second best - although if the semis can be played on successive days at Wembley, so they could at Villa Park.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Pretty sure the semis being played at Wembley predated the new stadium. Didn't it start with a semi between Spurs and Arsenal?

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I hate the Wembley Semi-Final thing despite us about to play in one.

There are some great Stadia up north and in London but nothing big enough in the midlands as capacity wise, you really need 50k+, ideally something like 60k.

This stadium would have made an ideal venue for so many North Vs South Semis if it had been built.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Birmingham_Stadium

The Semi Final should be solely for both sets of fans, not 15,000 corporate tickets. Do the FA still hand out 2x tickets to every non league club?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Semis at Wembley is bollox, plenty of good neutral venues

Indeed its no longer the 80's, loads of world class grounds now

Semi's at Wembley further erodes the FA Cup spectacle

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Used to often be Hillsborough, and Villa Park as I recall.

Both stadiums, especially Hillsborough, look quite dated and scruffy these days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pretty sure the semis being played at Wembley predated the new stadium. Didn't it start with a semi between Spurs and Arsenal?

Spurs v Arsenal in 91 was the only semi at Wembley. Following year they were on neutral grounds then in 93 Arsenal played Spurs again at Wembley and the two Sheffield clubs both played at Wembley. After that it was neutral grounds until 2000 when they were both at Wembley again before it was redeveloped.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Neutral stadia should still be used IMO
But as we're playing Citeh at Wembley, I'm glad the Albion fans don't have to travel too far.
Emirates would've been the ideal choice or Spuds new ground, if it were ready!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here