Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1983 and 2019 - compare and contrast

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I would be amazed if the semi-final could outdo the 1983 one for me. It was all so exciting, only 17, not 'seen everything' in football, not experienced the tremendous lows we've had since, and the huge emotional aspects surrounding the ground and promotion to the Premier League, going to every match, obsessed with it all. I cannot imagine the sheer joy when Case scored being replicated (by me), and I certainly won't end up 20 yards away from where I started under the clock.

I too remember taking my transistor radio to school. We were in a geography lesson, and the teacher basically just stopped it so we could hear the draw. The anticipation then was immense. It was a little flattening having it straight after the game yesterday. So - 1983 for me at the moment.

However, of course if we win the thing ......

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I was at the Norwich QF in 83 on the East Terrace and it was somewhere beyond exciting for me then being 15.
Also went to Highbury for the Semi v Sheff Wed and stood in the Clock End with my Dad and when Case scored it was, and still is, the best moment of my Albion watching life. To get to the FA Cup Final then was huge huge huge!
It’s seems slightly less so these days.
Couldn’t get ticket for the final but went to the replay.
Watched yesterday, with my Dad in his lounge. Absolutely incredible!!! To be at Wembley again is bloody amazing and it should be somewhat more relaxing than last time we were there v Notts County.
We aren’t expected to beat Man City so let’s go and have a great day out and if we win then all the better!!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was on the East Stand terraces for the Norwich game and I remember it being packed in tighter than any other match I'd been to. Whatever the official attendance was you could probably add on another 5,000.

I was one of the extra 5000, cost 2 of us £15 to a turnstile operates my mates Dad knew.
I couldn’t go to the Semi, I was protecting our Nation from the Red hordes, somewhere of the Isle of Wight

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What a run that was.

I went to Liverpool in round 4(?) - that was an amazing day. I was there (SE corner) for the QF. Watched the highlights again on Friday and I'd forgotten just how Norwich battered us that day- they were very unlucky.

I went to Semi at Highbury - an absolute amazing day - probably my favourite day of football ever.

The final was amazing - I got a coach there, and I remember driving through london in a massive Thunderstorm. I only remember 'highlights' of the day (I was only 15) but the atmosphere will stay with me til my dieing day.

The replay - not so much. One Of The Worst Days Ever.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Is this you?

gettyimages-830473758-612x612.jpg

fans-manchester-united-final-21may83-evening-argus-0002.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What a run that was.

I went to Liverpool in round 4(?) - that was an amazing day. I was there (SE corner) for the QF. Watched the highlights again on Friday and I'd forgotten just how Norwich battered us that day- they were very unlucky.

I went to Semi at Highbury - an absolute amazing day - probably my favourite day of football ever.

The final was amazing - I got a coach there, and I remember driving through london in a massive Thunderstorm. I only remember 'highlights' of the day (I was only 15) but the atmosphere will stay with me til my dieing day.

Highbury was a fantastic day, especially when Jimmy Case hit that ball, I was right behind the goal :)
Never went to the replay :(

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What a run that was.

Just checked. Liverpool away was the 5th round (Man City 4-0 was the 4th - a sign ........). Anfield was amazing - that penalty miss by Neal. He never missed! Norwich at home was rammed (NW Corner). Both incredible results. But the semi-final ........... what a day. In a heatwave. Walked to the ground from Newington Green. Like every other person at the clock end it felt like the ball would have hit us but for the net. Wednesday were a Division 2 side I think. Then a great day at the Final - I am not sure I appreciated how close we came until a local told us we should have won. And the replay - not so much.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Highbury was a fantastic day, especially when Jimmy Case hit that ball, I was right behind the goal :)
Never went to the replay :(

I was behind the goal as well (well to an extent we all were). I got home with sunburn as well.

Re the replay - you didn't miss much.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Could've gone, but was a naughty boy :blush:

I went up with my Dad and a school friend called Phil Bishop, who now lives in Australia. He took with him the worlds most high pitched air horn, which he was free to take into the game.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I went up with my Dad and a school friend called Phil Bishop, who now lives in Australia. He took with him the worlds most high pitched air horn, which he was free to take into the game.

On the way back from the final, a group of us ended up in a first class carriage on way back to Hastings.
One mate got bored, decided to unscrew a light bulb and start throwing to each other.
One throw ended up with light bulb smashing on the floor.
Stage right a copper turns up right on que, took all of our names, including mine, who he already knew who I was, being that he worked with my dad.
Bloke was a tool, so next stop I got off train and called my dad to let him know of incident.
Hence the ban :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just checked. Liverpool away was the 5th round (Man City 4-0 was the 4th - a sign ........). Anfield was amazing - that penalty miss by Neal. He never missed! Norwich at home was rammed (NW Corner). Both incredible results. But the semi-final ........... what a day. In a heatwave. Walked to the ground from Newington Green. Like every other person at the clock end it felt like the ball would have hit us but for the net. Wednesday were a Division 2 side I think. Then a great day at the Final - I am not sure I appreciated how close we came until a local told us we should have won. And the replay - not so much.

That Liverpool game was I think my first experience of a northern away day, and back then the cultural difference between Shoreham-By-Sea and Liverpool was soooo much wider than it is these days. It was like a different world. I went up ny coach with my Dad and we were sat at the back with a group of lads who has 3 or 4 slabs of I assume lager with them. That was my first ever boozy away day thanks to those kind gents.

Driving towards Anfield through Liverpool there were kids on overpasses with banners etc threatening us as we drove past.

We were in the seated section, and the segrgation was simply the gangway, so when the game has ended a Liverpool fan, who looked to me like Bob Paisley (but clearly wasn't) came up to me and my Dad and congratulated us and said we deserved it.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Ah, just watched the highlights. You're right but he did hit it quite hard albeit from 12 yards! I don't recall the delay at all!

I remember the Norwich players urging the ref to speak to the lino as I think they felt Jimmy had tugged back their #2.

Fortunately it was given, but, it was one of those awful heart pounding, nervy games ... only really enjoyable after the final whistle (typical Brighton :)).

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I remember the Norwich players urging the ref to speak to the lino as I think they felt Jimmy had tugged back their #2.

Fortunately it was given, but, it was one of those awful heart pounding, nervy games ... only really enjoyable after the final whistle (typical Brighton :)).

It was very much a different game. The reason the lino flagged (which he did) was for a foul on CASE, which of course wasn't necessary. Case's 'rugged' challenge to get through was just fine back in those days.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That Liverpool game was I think my first experience of a northern away day, and back then the cultural difference between Shoreham-By-Sea and Liverpool was soooo much wider than it is these days.

I went to Anfield in around 1974 and Liverpool was like a different planet. As I remember we were wearing flares and I suspect cheescloth shirts (or similar) and the locals were all wearing big baggy jeans and tight jumpers. We definitely stood out. And Yate's Wine Lodge was definitely not a wine bar. Places were a lot different back in the day.

GrandpaSimpson.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I went to Anfield in around 1974 and Liverpool was like a different planet. As I remember we were wearing flares and I suspect cheescloth shirts (or similar) and the locals were all wearing big baggy jeans and tight jumpers. We definitely stood out. And Yate's Wine Lodge was definitely not a wine bar. Places were a lot different back in the day.

View attachment 106121

The world was a smaller place back then. Regional differences were differences. As you say, fashion was regional, there wasn't the influence of TV or social media to make as all the same. Plus Liverpool was still an industrial city, so there was little gentrification, at least around Anfield.

When I went there in 91 I think we parked on a peice of ground that I assume had had a build on it before, as it was all compacted rubble. Some local scallies were charging £1 to look after your car during the game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here