Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1983 and 2019 - compare and contrast

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Memories of 1983 have been coming back to me for some reason :) and it's led me to think what's different and whether the changes are better or worse.

Semi-final draw - 1983: had to wait until the Monday after the games (iirc) - probably due to the ball polisher's union rules. At school, someone brought a little transistor radio. The anticipation was great and the buzz when we heard we'd drawn Massive was great. 2019: Draw happens immediately after the game. No waiting. The buzz of winning the game in such dramatic fashion was spoilt slightly by knowing we'd drawn Man City. Winner: 1983

QF atmosphere: 1983: the Goldstone stuffed to the rafters. Watched the game from what felt like half way up the floodlights in the SE but was probably only about 4ft up the gantry. I remember it being a warm day and it being pandemonium when Jimmy scored his bullet shot. 2019: Didn't go. Was fun watching it on TV with my son who I nearly threw through the ceiling when we scored the second! Can someone who went to both comment?

Semi-final: 1983: Didn't go and had to listen to it on the radio. Was exciting but annoying. 2019: Will be live on TV with ability to pause, rewind, etc. Free if on BBC, have to go to pub if BT. Winner: 2019

Tickets: 1983: Was a season ticket holder so no problem getting a ticket for final. Amazing day that is still one of the highlights of my football life. 2019: No longer a season ticket holder so probably won't even have a chance of a ticket (for semi or the final) and definitely won't be able to get ones for my kids as well so it will have to be watched on TV. Don't know if watching it with the family will outweigh actually being there. Winner: tbc

Quality of football: 1983 - tbh I don't remember enough to properly compare but it feels remarkably similar to today: A fringe England international colossus in centre defence, strong wingers, battling midfielders. Main difference would be the pitch quality and rules which effectively allowed on-pitch assaults. 2019: Today's team are clearly technically and physically better due to changes in training, medical knowledge, pitch quality, etc. Both great to watch at times but also infuriating at others. Winner: Draw.

Interested to hear other's thoughts and categories

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
QF atmosphere: 1983: the Goldstone stuffed to the rafters. Watched the game from what felt like half way up the floodlights in the SE but was probably only about 4ft up the gantry. I remember it being a warm day and it being pandemonium when Jimmy scored his bullet shot. 2019: Didn't go. Was fun watching it on TV with my son who I nearly threw through the ceiling when we scored the second! Can someone who went to both comment?

I was at the Norwich game, and yesterday.

The North Stand was absolutely rammed that day. Heaving. I'm sure someone can put up the video to show the scenes when he scored.

Yesterday I was right at the front (of the upper tier) when Solly scored - scenes!

Yes, football has changed, but the emotions don't!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There is one major difference between 1983 and 2019.

In 1983 we had a joke manager who took us down, and in 2019 we have a far better manager

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I remember taking the radio to school for the 1983 draw. For some reason I recall us being number 5.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Didn't someone get stabbed at that Norwich match ?

I can't remember a stabbing but I do remember the surge when we scored it was absolutely rammed in the North Stand and to be fair Norwich brought thousands as well.
It was a memorable day and not a little scary in the North Stand

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was on the East Stand terraces for the Norwich game and I remember it being packed in tighter than any other match I'd been to. Whatever the official attendance was you could probably add on another 5,000.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Weren't there around 2,000 or so locked out of that game as it got so full, I went and what an atmosphere it was.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Weren't there around 2,000 or so locked out of that game as it got so full, I went and what an atmosphere it was.

We all got locked out. Stupidly we had, ‘Just one more pint’. Then got pinched for having a ladder up against the rear of the south stand. Once let go we watched the game from one of the walls from the houses down Goldstone Lane . An irate owner told us to get off his which we said we would do if he could prove it was his by showing the properties deeds to us. He never came back thank god. There were hundreds there just getting glimpses of the action up the north end. I SAW THE GOAL.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
QF atmosphere: 1983: ... I remember it being a warm day and it being pandemonium when Jimmy scored his bullet shot.

‘Bullet’ shot ? Not in this match. This was the scrappy goal where Jimmy jostled past a Norwich defender to slot the ball in to the bottom corner, and time stood still while the ref went over to consult with the lino to see if a foul had been committed. Thankfully not ! :)

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
‘Bullet’ shot ? Not in this match. This was the scrappy goal where Jimmy jostled past a Norwich defender to slot the ball in to the bottom corner, and time stood still while the ref went over to consult with the lino to see if a foul had been committed. Thankfully not ! :)

Ah, just watched the highlights. You're right but he did hit it quite hard albeit from 12 yards! I don't recall the delay at all!

Last edited:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I had the numbers 1 and 5 for my age back in 1983.....I have them in 2019 as well !!!! Sadly the wrong way around now.

Still remember that day standing in the clock end at Highbury then the trips to Wembley for both games....Never forgotten.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I was in the West stand in front of the Press Box. When Case scored, John Vinicombe was an object of cool writing his notes. Meanwhile the Radio Sussex guy next to him (Tony ?) was screaming into his mic. :lolol: And that was after we had stopped jumping around.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I was in the West stand in front of the Press Box. When Case scored, John Vinicombe was an object of cool writing his notes. Meanwhile the Radio Sussex guy next to him (Tony ?) was screaming into his mic. :lolol: And that was after we had stopped jumping around.

Millard perhaps ...

My first season supporting the Albion. Attended the Man. City cup tie with the two friends who still accompany me, plus another Man. City STH friend - he was not impressed with their performance. Recall that they also played us in our last First Division home game and won 2- 0 I think, believe that we were already relegated by then.

el punal

I was on the East Stand terraces for the Norwich game and I remember it being packed in tighter than any other match I'd been to. Whatever the official attendance was you could probably add on another 5,000.

Was it an all ticket game? From what I remember the attendance was a nice, round 28,000. Although quite packed it was nothing like the ‘absolutely rammed’ Goldstone of the late 70s when 30,000+ were a regular occurrence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here