Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three weeks ago ..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some people on here: Sick of Hughton's negativity, scattergun recruitment has been an abject failure, Hughton out, get rid of Stephens, Locadia, Bong etc etc

Just THREE games later (six points and a quarter final cup win) and that mood may as well have been 3 years ago!

Not a "told you so" thread, by the way - merely pointing out that the game itself is a very fickle mistress! God knows how we'd be feeling if we had lost those three games, and actually you wouldn't have ruled that out back then either!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I was pretty p1ssed off with him yesterday to be honest until March scored. It's an emotional game and I love being an irrational fan!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
funny old game . We've only really played well for 45 mins of those games.

Results business though.

A real boost when we needed it.

Saints home a massive game up next

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
"I ****ing hate football"
"I ****ing love football"
Sums up my day yesterday.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was pretty p1ssed off with him yesterday to be honest until March scored. It's an emotional game and I love being an irrational fan!
For some reason, Hughton gets it in the neck whenever we play within ourselves (negatively?) against sides that are beatable. Actually I'd say most of us do it at times, and perhaps the best thing we can all do for ourselves and the manager is NOT to do so. Just accept that he's a legend but he isn't perfect. Surely he's earned the patience of our fan base? We are never going to win all these games against beatable teams after all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some people on here: Sick of Hughton's negativity, scattergun recruitment has been an abject failure, Hughton out, get rid of Stephens, Locadia, Bong etc etc

Just THREE games later (six points and a quarter final cup win) and that mood may as well have been 3 years ago!
That's football fans for you. Generally incapable of being calm and rational. Basically the opposite of the boss Chris.

As Liam repeated yesterday, Chris doesn't get too high when we win, and doesn't get too low when we lose. He's calm, and we carry on training and fighting on the pitch, and results will come in the end. Whereas our fans are binary 'best manager ever' 'not good enough, needs to go' twats.

Not a "told you so" thread, by the way
Shame, it should be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well that's fair enough :lol: I do wish people would keep their irrational emotions off NSC though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Shame, it should be.
I don't see the point - every single one of us makes bad calls over the staff at this club. I find "told you so" threads far more tedious than the bloke who comes on here to let off steam after a shit performance and gets it wrong. I won't name names but the sort of gimp who starts threads whenever a crap or bang average player does something decent for the first time in 15 games - they are far more nauseating.

Edit: on a train now just rolling past the Den. Lovely stuff.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you want to know how it feels to lose all 3, just ask our northern neighbours. :lol:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
"I ****ing hate football"
"I ****ing love football"
Sums up my day yesterday.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Yup, this all over. Up untill 88 minutes yesterday I thought the performance and tactics were quite frankly, pathetic.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
For some reason, Hughton gets it in the neck whenever we play within ourselves (negatively?) against sides that are beatable. Actually I'd say most of us do it at times, and perhaps the best thing we can all do for ourselves and the manager is NOT to do so. Just accept that he's a legend but he isn't perfect. Surely he's earned the patience of our fan base? We are never going to win all these games against beatable teams after all.

I think that Hughton has a management style that, over the course of a season, will get us where we want to be, safe in the premier league. Its the 'not too high, not too low' style of management and its serving us well. Its probably not the management style that we would choose for one-off all or nothing games. Millwall on the other hand are the complete opposite, able to beat a load of premier league sides in the cup and yet languish 20th in the championship. We should have lost yesterday until their keeper had a brainfart.

But of course we didn't lose, and we're in the semis, and may the fates keep shining on us :)

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012

But yesterday:
1. He put out a strong team rather than the reserves. Ok, it didn't work very well, but...…
2. His substitutions were positive/attacking, and beginning earlier than he would normally.
3. And it was the substitutions who made the difference!

I thought it was a real Manure type "never give up" performance at the end. I've had a few congratulations today from Saints Fans.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was in the "Stephens out" crew. TBH prior to those three games he was utterly woeful, and had been for ages. He's turned it around and I'm absolutely delighted that he's proved me wrong.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Yesterday was a case in point. I told my son after Millwall scored their second "This is not over". I knew we'd come at them and they'd sit back, and with 2 crafty wingers and two strikers going for it we had a chance.

I think this team has the potential to have scored a dozen goals more than we have this season and - yes - that may result in us conceding a dozen more goals but in terms of entertainment that would be an increase of almost 1 goal - and several chances at both ends - more per game.

I'm not saying Hughton should change his tactics but I think we all know the likes of Propper and March would have more goals and assists if they were let off the leash a bit more.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not a "told you so" thread, by the way - merely pointing out that the game itself is a very fickle mistress! God knows how we'd be feeling if we had lost those three games, and actually you wouldn't have ruled that out back then either!

Three weeks? Three games? People's opinions seemed to change in about three MINUTES yesterday! I'll never understand why people go off on one BEFORE the game has even finished – you're often just setting yourself up for a fall. Nor can I figure out whether it irritates me or makes me laugh!

One game at a time – that's always been my approach. No point getting too carried away or making bold assumptions or predictions because it can often change in an instant!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I was in the "Stephens out" crew. TBH prior to those three games he was utterly woeful, and had been for ages. He's turned it around and I'm absolutely delighted that he's proved me wrong.

I thought Stephens had a totally brilliant game against palace. One of his very best for us. Yesterday he reverted to "sideways Stephens" again and was giving the ball away. He wasn't alone in not being up for it yesterday; after such a magnificent performance again palace we were slow, ponderous and just not up for it. Maybe it was a case of "they are only a Championship club, we can stroll through this" mentality.

Against palace couldn't give anybody less than 9. Yesterday, up to 85 minutes, I was struggling for a six.

Why the same players put in such contrasting performances I really don't know. Maybe the manager knows?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought Stephens had a totally brilliant game against palace. One of his very best for us. Yesterday he reverted to "sideways Stephens" again and was giving the ball away. He wasn't alone in not being up for it yesterday; after such a magnificent performance again palace we were slow, ponderous and just not up for it. Maybe it was a case of "they are only a Championship club, we can stroll through this" mentality.

Against palace couldn't give anybody less than 9. Yesterday, up to 85 minutes, I was struggling for a six.

Why the same players put in such contrasting performances I really don't know. Maybe the manager knows?

Not up for it ...hmmm can’t quite agree with that ...maybe a little bit of credit should go to Millwall who were in our faces and hunting in packs ..yes we didn’t play well and they chased and harried but not up for it ..nah can’t take that one

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

All very valid ..the game gives us such highs and lows..the thing that does get me is when having got through to a SF in a crazy game, people’s inability to enjoy it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here