Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalty shootout rules

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
In a you are the ref style would would have happened if....

....the game got to 10 pens each and still level would we have had to let our 11th player (presumably the worst penalty taker on the field) take it whilst Millwall could have gone back through their team again?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In a you are the ref style would would have happened if....

....the game got to 10 pens each and still level would we have had to let our 11th player (presumably the worst penalty taker on the field) take it whilst Millwall could have gone back through their team again?

I've heard that that is the rule, which seems a bit unfair!

Has a shootout ever got that far? It's rare that they go beyond 5 each.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think once Millwall had hit their last man on the pitch then you can both pick from anyone again

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I believe the rules are we have to nominate a player to sit it out, so there's an equal amount of penalty takers.

I would have nominated Dale Stevens or Lewis Dunk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Correct. Presumably Maty Ryan.

Keepers are usually pretty decent at pens as they just smash them, and I'm sure Maty would have been well up for it. Would have been interesting to see who would have decided not to take one, or been asked not to.

I assume the guy sent off would have been one of Millwall's 5 so may have cost them the win, makes it all the more dumb, especially at that stage of the game. It was a stupid thing to do.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I believe the rules are we have to nominate a player to sit it out, so there's an equal amount of penalty takers.

I heard it was Montoya and he stood with CH, etc during the pens

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Ferguson is their best penalty taker - pretty stupid to get himself sent off like that.........................

Glen Murray is our best penalty taker......................

oh

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Keepers are usually pretty decent at pens as they just smash them, and I'm sure Maty would have been well up for it. Would have been interesting to see who would have decided not to take one, or been asked not to.

I assume the guy sent off would have been one of Millwall's 5 so may have cost them the win, makes it all the more dumb, especially at that stage of the game. It was a stupid thing to do.

I'd have LOVED IT if Maty Ryan smashed a penalty into the top corner, then saved Millwall's next one. Just imagine how much he'd celebrate then.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've heard that that is the rule, which seems a bit unfair!

Has a shootout ever got that far? It's rare that they go beyond 5 each.

There was an African Nations Cup final a few years back that went through the first 11 and back to the beginning.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Ferguson is their best penalty taker - pretty stupid to get himself sent off like that.........................

Serves the dick head right
Vicious tackle. Could have been nasty for Dunk and might have affected the remainder of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here