Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is CH the clubs greatest ever manager?

Phoenix011

Nov 28, 2018
He's taken us to the prem, kept us up once and probably will a 2nd time and has lead us to an FA cup semi final for the first time since 1983, especially with the jump in skill difference and money in the modern age of football is it fair to call him the greatest manager to represent the Albion?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think so, but if you read the match thread, at least half a dozen wanted him sacked at 80 minutes, this afternoon.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think so.

Save us from relegation in his first half season, after taking over from one of the worst manager in our history
Missed out on going up by two goal difference, and an awful ref decision in his 1st full season
Promotion to the premier league automatically in his second season
Stayed in the premier league in his third season
Double over Palace and FA cup semi final and doing OK in the premier league in his fourth season

He does this with no histrionics, humble and a gentleman. There is no one I can think off that I would rather have as a manger of our club. Any tit who thinks he should be sacked needs to give their head a wobble.

Even if we get religated, why would we sack a manager who has a fantastic record of getting clubs premonition from the championship, it would be nuts.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think it's hard to compare. Did Mullery have more money to spend ? (Relative to the time)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we lose to Bournemouth, Southampton and Citeh then many on here will be calling for his head. In the minds of a sizeable minority he's 3 matches from being sackable.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Mullery took us to two promotions and one miss on goal difference (or was it average in those days?) and kept us up for two seasons. He also signed Mark Lawrenson, Steve Foster, Gerry Ryan and Michael Robinson, four absolute Albion legends. The football was often breathtaking at times. And there was a top flight double over Palace in the 1980-81 season.

CH has taken us to one promotion and one miss on goal difference and so far kept us up for one season plus reaching an FA Cup semi-final. Under his stewardship we have signed Anthony Knockaert and Shane Duffy, who I’m sure will go on to be counted among Albion legends, and re-signed Bobby Zamora and Glenn Murray. So definitely comparable. Keep us up this season and I reckon he equals Mullery simply because the competition is so much fiercer these days.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The best relegation survival manager - Gritt

The best 'winning it on a shoe string' manager - Mickey Adams

The best manager for taking us to the the top flight and staying there- CH

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Mullery took us to two promotions and one miss on goal difference (or was it average in those days?) and kept us up for two seasons. He also signed Mark Lawrenson, Steve Foster, Gerry Ryan and Michael Robinson, four absolute Albion legends. The football was often breathtaking at times. And there was a top flight double over Palace in the 1980-81 season.

CH has taken us to one promotion and one miss on goal difference and so far kept us up for one season plus reaching an FA Cup semi-final. Under his stewardship we have signed Anthony Knockaert and Shane Duffy, who I’m sure will go on to be counted among Albion legends, and re-signed Bobby Zamora and Glenn Murray. So definitely comparable. Keep us up this season and I reckon he equals Mullery simply because the competition is so much fiercer these days.

Agree with most of that. I suspect that Mullery would have kept us up for longer if he hadn't fallen out with Bamber and resigned and with more attractive football, though we will never know of course. I'd say that Mullery's legend signings were even bigger overall, that he was probably a greater motivator and that he remains our greatest ever manager with great respect to our second ever greatest Chris!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Seeing as I want him to stay indefinitely, it's probably unfair to judge him whilst he's still in the job.

Eddie Howe is the perfect fit for Bournemouth - they won't be relegated as long as he's there.

The same is true for us and Chris Hughton.

The next league target for him is a finish in the top 10, above some of the likes of Wolves, West Ham, Leicester, Watford, Palace and Bournemouth.

If we can do that next season, then we'll have seen genuine progress and consolidation rather than simply stability.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I suspect most people under 40(or possibly 45) will say Hughton and most over 45 will say Mullery.

I've been supporting the Albion for just over 30 years and as a kid I grew up on tales of Mullery, Ward, Lawrenson, Foster our time in the old first division and the cup final. Those years and players have been enshrined in legend for decades now and attained an almost mythical status for those of us who missed out on them but endured the horror show of the 90's.

Much like Pele and Muhammad Ali I think that those players and Mullery will always be seen as the greatest.

Hughton however is writing himself into club legend.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I think so.

Save us from relegation in his first half season, after taking over from one of the worst manager in our history
Missed out on going up by two goal difference, and an awful ref decision in his 1st full season
Promotion to the premier league automatically in his second season
Stayed in the premier league in his third season
Double over Palace and FA cup semi final and doing OK in the premier league in his fourth season

He does this with no histrionics, humble and a gentleman. There is no one I can think off that I would rather have as a manger of our club. Any tit who thinks he should be sacked needs to give their head a wobble.

Even if we get religated, why would we sack a manager who has a fantastic record of getting clubs premonition from the championship, it would be nuts.

what he said:bowdown:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not according to the bloke behind me at Millwall who described him yesterday as "shit".

This bloke was one who left at 80 minutes but was allowed back in for ET and pens. Could have been @ The Complete Todger...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here