Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is CH the clubs greatest ever manager?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
CH is almost there once we start playing the type of entertaining football Mullery teams used to , he will be there

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
CH is almost there once we start playing the type of entertaining football Mullery teams used to , he will be there

Hmm. For all Chris’ merits, and my God he has many, I think you may be in for a long wait. Mullery’s still for me, though Vhris is in with a decent chance of usurping the king...

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I bemoaned his tactics prior to Christmas, but since then we've played a bit a more expansive and I've enjoyed it. Albeit, we've become more prone, but he has certainly changed his approach.

The double over Palace and semi-final tops it for me though. We can go to Wembley with literally no real pressure, Citeh will have the 'quadruple' title pressure and we could snatch it. Could being the operative word.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Yes, we are living in a brilliant era to be an Albion fan, we had it good in the past but never this good.

15th best football team in England, in a era when the quality of football and players is the best its ever been.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I think so, but if you read the match thread, at least half a dozen wanted him sacked at 80 minutes, this afternoon.

I often wonder who these fans think we could get in that would do better. We are not a big draw club and we are not suddenly going to go out and splash £30million on a star signing. CH is a perfect match for us and like others have said I cannot see Bloom sacking him any time soon. The only way I see him being sacked is if we get relegated and then have a bad start to the season and find ourselves in the bottom half after 10+ games. Even then I think it would be a stretch.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He doesn't always play the most exciting football - that's a different thing - but yes, yes he is.

*edit - and if we stay in the Premier League for a few seasons, he might have the money to change the first bit. I think he'd try*

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not necessarily, no.

- He has had more money to spend on transfers & wages (relatively speaking) than any other manager
- He has worldy training and medical facilities than no other manager has had
- He hasn't attracted the quality of players that Mullery (and even Gus) did

Personally, I still have Mullers out in front by quite a distance and I certainly much preferred the attacking football under Mullers than the negative, defensive, dull stuff that CH serves up.

Not trying to undermine what CH has done, he has been brilliant in achieving what he has but he has far better tools than those who went before.

I must also acknowledge what Steve Gritt did in keeping us in the FL. With nothing, Gritt kept the club in existence IMO.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tony Bloom has yet to sack a manager. No reason to believe he will start now, even if we were to be relegated

He sacked Russell Slade!

I think that Hughton has done the best job, but I'm not sure I'd say he's our best ever manager because of what Alan Mullery achieved. This is definitely a glorious period on our history, though, and we should appreciate that we won't always be playing at this level. I've become frustrated with performances this season and I sense a lack of real belief and ambition in the team but the Championship are littered with examples of clubs who haven't been able to achieve what we have. It's littered with clubs desperate to build a promotion winning side, which Hughton did on the back of a dire squad with blunt tools. I'm finding it hard to balance how I feel about the performances of the team and the fact that this is the best Brighton team in my lifetime, playing in the Premier League which I was desperate for as recently as 3 years ago.

I'm a big fan of Chris Hughton, but not of the way we're currently playing and it's a tough thing to put into words. I want to enjoy watching Hughton's team and "enjoy the ride", but I just am not.

Gus Poyet's 2010/2011 team spoilt us all. Charlton 0-4 Brighton, Peterborough 0-3 Brighton in consecutive weeks... :drool: That was the pinnacle of Brighton performances.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Gus Poyet's 2010/2011 team spoilt us all. Charlton 0-4 Brighton, Peterborough 0-3 Brighton in consecutive weeks... :drool: That was the pinnacle of Brighton performances.

The Promotion season is littered with 3-0 4-1 4-0 and 5-0 victories as well - strange that didn't spoil you as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season#Matches

Martin Jol once said - ''Heaven help any of the other top sides around if CH gets handed a job with a massive budget to compete against the elite teams in the league''

I often wonder who these fans think we could get in that would do better. We are not a big draw club and we are not suddenly going to go out and splash £30million on a star signing. CH is a perfect match for us and like others have said I cannot see Bloom sacking him any time soon. The only way I see him being sacked is if we get relegated and then have a bad start to the season and find ourselves in the bottom half after 10+ games. Even then I think it would be a stretch.
Totally agree with every word of that, especially if Locadia 'comes good'.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't think it really matters to be honest, several managers stand out, as outlined in the previous posts. I am just happy that my sons are witnessing Premier League football with a comfy padded seat in a top stadium and now with an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. When I was their age we were busy finishing bottom of the old Division two (1986-87)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here