Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jonathan Pearce BBC commentary

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Pearce screamed about Millwall from the off, very excited about their forays, including long throw ins ffs. It was a pretty even game from 15 minutes until their opener, but according to NSC posters he went on about Millwall relentlessly during that long period.

He really didn't in my view but the whole thing is on iPlayer for anyone who wants to have another look. (in that first 15 minutes he says positive things about Stephens, Propper, Dunk and Hughton and to be honest not that much happened.)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...-quarterfinal-millwall-v-brighton-hove-albion

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I didn't think he was shouting like he used to. It was the FA cup they want a story so I expected them to want an upset and a Premier team to be knocked out. Fortunately and eventually they did get some excitement!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Pearce sounded like he was trotting out every cliché in the BBC book about working class Millwall. He was also relentless on the underdog angle.

To be fair, the latter is par for the course in cup games, and I understand that, but the former irritated me and made Pearce sound like a Millwall fan.

Jenas was much more balanced and made a good job, in his intelligent subtle way, of letting everyone know what a poor game the ref was having.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The train footage was a bit more exciting that the entire first half to be fair.

Was the train footage your idea?

Agreed. The first half was woeful. Pretty standard fare for Albion away these days though.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Pearce sounded like he was trotting out every cliché in the BBC book about working class Millwall. He was also relentless on the underdog angle.

To be fair, the latter is par for the course in cup games, and I understand that, but the former irritated me and made Pearce sound like a Millwall fan.

Jenas was much more balanced and made a good job, in his intelligent subtle way, of letting everyone know what a poor game the ref was having.

This. Spot on. Not usually a fan of JJ but he was on the ball.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I don't mind old JP although we, of course, don't get to hear him on German TV��

We had Lutz Pfannenstehl on co-comms who is an interesting character.

The main issue for me, as others have pointed out, was the continual replays and crowd scenes. Twice they cut back to live action to see Millwall almost scoring. Whoever was in charge should never work on live sport again.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Thats so...poignant. Almost beautiful.
A picture truly can say a thousand words.

i'll answer your previous observation re dick head ratio , and my answer to that statement is that up until the 85 th minute we were piss poor , maybe we got dragged down to their level but it seemed to me with Duffy , Stephens , Propper & Ryan all making ridiculously wayward passes straight into the crowd that we were lacking a basic requirement that most winning teams have and that is a clue.......lets face it , it was not a good performance but the last 8 minutes was pure f.a. cup drama at its best....we deserved to win only on the back of another inept performance from one of the associations "elite" officiating teams.....3 absolute howlers from the ref....!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Jenas went up in every Albion fans book, when he decided to openly call out the one sided, error strewn officiating.

Which was very unusual for a BBC pundit, they normally tow the ‘respect’ line.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Is that Hurst Road in Hassocks?
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is wrong but not by much. I know exactly where Dunky lives as i go past quite alot. No it isn't Hassocks.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is wrong but not by much. I know exactly where Dunky lives as i go past quite alot. No it isn't Hassocks.

Same road but has a different name over that stretch. Pass it regularly. If you got young kids, Zoella Sugg and Alfie Deyes live a little further towards Hassocks!!!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Same road but has a different name over that stretch. Pass it regularly. If you got young kids, Zoella Sugg and Alfie Deyes live a little further towards Hassocks!!!!

I believe Dale Stephens lives in Hassocks, not far from Dunky.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't mind old JP although we, of course, don't get to hear him on German TV��

We had Lutz Pfannenstehl on co-comms who is an interesting character.

The main issue for me, as others have pointed out, was the continual replays and crowd scenes. Twice they cut back to live action to see Millwall almost scoring. Whoever was in charge should never work on live sport again.

Which is more the nub of the matter ..it really was poorly directed ..the constant shots of groups of Millwall fans (probably only one Brighton) and then for example nearly missing the Duffy/Ryan cock up...JP was just the icing on the cake

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I believe Dale Stephens lives in Hassocks, not far from Dunky.

True, but he's definitely at the less posh end, ie Hassocks. Whereas Lewis is most definitely from Withdean, via Hurstpierpoint, to Wembley.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Thought JP was near to Stonepound Crossroads on the left going towards Hurst.......Dunky is further along on the right....?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thought JP was near to Stonepound Crossroads on the left going towards Hurst.......Dunky is further along on the right....?

Yes you are right. Thought you ment Dunk lived in Hurst Rd which he doesn't. Misread your post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here