Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jonathan Pearce BBC commentary

hertsseagull

hertsseagull
May 15, 2011
It is a day and evening for celebration whatever happens next, but am I the only one who felt Pearce was rooting for Millwall the whole game? This whole "they've been working the docks all day while trying to rid this great community club of its small minority of problem fans" thing was sick-inducing. Everyone knows Millwall still have problems which was no better illustrated than their manager's aggressive reaction to the sending off for the stamp on Dunky. The opening BBC 3 minute credit was all about "the Lions den'. The only time we got any plaudits on the BBC today was after we'd won! Poor commentary from Pearce, no objectivity whatsoever. Love Hughton more and more for how calm and dignified he remains in the good and bad moments, many people in football could and should learn from the great man.

All that aside, what a day, what a team, what a manager, what individuals, what a penalty from LD! Bring on City!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I wouldn't worry about it.

....Jenas was ****ing terrible as well

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It is a day and evening for celebration whatever happens next, but am I the only one who felt Pearce was rooting for Millwall the whole game? This whole "they've been working the docks all day while trying to rid this great community club of its small minority of problem fans" thing was sick-inducing. Everyone knows Millwall still have problems which was no better illustrated than their manager's aggressive reaction to the sending off for the stamp on Dunky. The opening BBC 3 minute credit was all about "the Lions den'. The only time we got any plaudits on the BBC today was after we'd won! Poor commentary from Pearce, no objectivity whatsoever. Love Hughton more and more for how calm and dignified he remains in the good and bad moments, many people in football could and should learn from the great man.

All that aside, what a day, what a team, what a manager, what individuals, what a penalty from LD! Bring on City!

That and the constant camera shots of a group of Millwall fans ..you wouldn't have thought we had any there....I did find Pearce annoying....but we weren't the underdogs so I'm not surprised ..we are the' big' club now :shrug:

We won

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Liam Rosenior was as ever excellent in the studio btw.

Pearce was rightly positive about Millwall in patches because they were about to do another massive bit of giant killing - but he knows the Albion inside out and insightful things to say about almost all our players, far more than you get with other commentators/or Sky or radio. (Bar radio Sussex).
He certainly conveyed the excitement of Sollys 94th minute equaliser , and the BBC were clear we were robbed with the various not given decisions (penalty, their first, Locadia offside goal). And even questioned the ref at one point for not giving us much. (Bernardo ‘s yellow).

So no. I disagree with the OP

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
loved the bit where we were told Millwall had been dominating the game just as/@@after the stats showed posesition as millwall 39% Brighton 61%

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I'm fairly certain the fat ******* is a Palarse fan. That'd explain a lot wouldn't it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah, bollocks. JP is good. Coverage was good. Pity we weren't so good...

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
That and the constant camera shots of a group of Millwall fans ..you wouldn't have thought we had any there....I did find Pearce annoying....but we weren't the underdogs so I'm not surprised ..we are the' big' club now :shrug:

We won

Pretty much this. They will always focus in that way. Couldn't see a problem with the commentary. I think some go looking for it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Jonathan Pearce seems to regard every commentary asssignment as 'The Jonathan Pearce Show - starring Jonathan Pearce!'

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Supports Bristol City but has always been positive about The Albion and as mentioned before knows more about us than most on a mic

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
JP is a big admirer of the Albion, lives locally and is a fine commentator. Nothing to see here.

hertsseagull

hertsseagull
May 15, 2011
Pretty much this. They will always focus in that way. Couldn't see a problem with the commentary. I think some go looking for it.

Looks like not everyone agrees with my sentiment so fair enough, happy to admit I'm paranoid! Not one to go looking for it, I just felt JP was waxing overly lyrical about the romance of Millwall whereas in reality most people would agree they have more than their fair share of fans who are let's just say troublesome.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Looks like not everyone agrees with my sentiment so fair enough, happy to admit I'm paranoid! Not one to go looking for it, I just felt JP was waxing overly lyrical about the romance of Millwall whereas in reality most people would agree they have more than their fair share of fans who are let's just say troublesome.

He was far more nuanced than that. He mentioned the pre match homophobia worries, how millwall, rightly, as a club had worked to tackle and overcome their reputation. Of course he was communicating the romance of it for a fair while - millwall looked to be headed to a semi final having beaten a prem team after all - which is quite a story.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Johnathan Pearce can sometimes put a glass eye to sleep.
But I was quite glad we had an interlude during the commentary, where we were shown a passing train, which was quite nice for those who like that spotter thing.
Well the BBC do cater for most things these days, it'll keep the points of view crowd happy!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here