Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What a shocking performance today vs Millwall

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
That has to be up there with the worst Albion performances of all time. We couldn't pass (constantly passing to Millwall players or straight into touch), some comedy defending, seemingly no game-plan or structure, failure to win defensive headers … and all this with our strongest team against a team struggling against relegation from the Championship. At times we looked like a Sunday League pub team after a particularly late and boozy Saturday night. The only players to avoid criticism were Solly and Locadia. Oh, and Stephens had one of his better games in spite of one or two awful passes. Unless we up our game considerably we'll be relegated and spanked by City at Wembley.

And I'd forgotten how boring our singing is at away games. Constant renditions of various songs about how we hate Palace. Who really cares? How about some songs supporting our team?

Not impressed with the win. We didn't deserve it and didn't play like we wanted it. A very bad day at the office.

You won't be wanting a ticket for the semi (and the final if we get there) then !

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That has to be up there with the worst Albion performances of all time. We couldn't pass (constantly passing to Millwall players or straight into touch), some comedy defending, seemingly no game-plan or structure, failure to win defensive headers … and all this with our strongest team against a team struggling against relegation from the Championship. At times we looked like a Sunday League pub team after a particularly late and boozy Saturday night. The only players to avoid criticism were Solly and Locadia. Oh, and Stephens had one of his better games in spite of one or two awful passes. Unless we up our game considerably we'll be relegated and spanked by City at Wembley.

And I'd forgotten how boring our singing is at away games. Constant renditions of various songs about how we hate Palace. Who really cares? How about some songs supporting our team?

Not impressed with the win. We didn't deserve it and didn't play like we wanted it. A very bad day at the office.

Can you imagine being this guy? It must be an utterly horrendous existence.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I have all sorts of thoughts on yesterday's performance, but I won't give you pleasure of knowing any of them.

What a prize tw@t you are.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
yes great finish.

But without a complete howler from the keeper we were out no matter how good the subs were.

What about the fact that is was a foul for their first goal and we were denied a blatant penalty?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
yes great finish.

But without a complete howler from the keeper we were out no matter how good the subs were.

or the ref/assistant ref could have won it for us.
Anyway so what ? Not sure it says much about the health of the club, or the team or our future prospects.
Unless you're arguing that winning 3 games in a row is a bad thing.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Easy tiger! In some corner of a foreign field in Croydon is a part of the Albion at ****************, where my daughter, son in law and two grandchildren live. Everyone true blue and white. Rejoice!! :albion2:

Harold please note that I am also from C******

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
:dunce: we played terribly as we dominated possession. We're not a possession based team, we let opponents have the ball and rely on our shape and discipline to prevent conceding. We cannot simply overhaul our tactics overnight for one team. Couple this with, what was quite literally the epitome of the state of English refereeing, I thought our boys did well. They certainly showed the intensity in the dying moments and Lady Luck went our way with March's cross.

I'm absolutely loving it. All the palace trolls gloating at 2-0, then all of a sudden started deleting their comments when we equalised was absolutely brilliant.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes. But not sure it matters and the resilience of not accepting defeat isn’t to be sniffed at.

PS: Was Man City’s performance “worthy” last night ? (VAR would have meant at best extra time for them / and they only turned up after 70 mins against a mid table champ side)
This is THE point. The whole point of the cup is that good teams often play at below their best against much inferior opposition.

The bit I found most remarkable was the 30 minutes of extra time during which we played like Man City do against a lot of teams. Constant possession, probing around the box, one side to the other, trying balls into feet to strikers and in behind fullbacks, or a chipped ball over the top to break through the packed defence. We actually did it very well and 4 or 5 times in the 30 minutes created great situations including an excellent goal. All the very, very good footballers doing that stuff are our own Albion players and I love them all (even Big Jurgen).

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I’ve also woken up a bit miserable this morning. There’s something about football at the moment. I can’t ever recall being bored during matches in the Goldstone days but I often am now. I’m not stupid, I have played and watched for 50 years and all this passing back and forward across the pitch is not a case of consummate professionals probing and looking for a chink in the defence, it’s because they don’t know what to frigging do with it. Someone has to take the bull by the horns and attempt to dribble through the heart of the defence. Even if it fails the opponent has to bear in mind another possibility of what might happen.
Then there’s the Liverpool penalty last night. Another blatant piece of cheating that the pundits try to convince us all it was cast iron, nailed on, etc.
So yes, great we got through but it didn’t elate me like it should have done or would have in the past.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What I found especially infuriating was the dire quality of the crossing into the box, especially in the first 45 mins. Hardly anything beat the first man or got higher than 4 feet off the turf.

Woeful, given that all they have to do all day is practice football.

Yes. Montoya was particularly at fault in this respect. It was really quite poor, again, away from home, but at the end of the day, we won through however undeservedly, and it is time to get behind the team in 2 weeks time and then again for the semi.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I’ve also woken up a bit miserable this morning. There’s something about football at the moment. I can’t ever recall being bored during matches in the Goldstone days but I often am now. I’m not stupid, I have played and watched for 50 years and all this passing back and forward across the pitch is not a case of consummate professionals probing and looking for a chink in the defence, it’s because they don’t know what to frigging do with it. Someone has to take the bull by the horns and attempt to dribble through the heart of the defence. Even if it fails the opponent has to bear in mind another possibility of what might happen.
Then there’s the Liverpool penalty last night. Another blatant piece of cheating that the pundits try to convince us all it was cast iron, nailed on, etc.
So yes, great we got through but it didn’t elate me like it should have done or would have in the past.
I think you need to top and tail that apologia with "it's not you, it's me...".

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's even more shocking when you remember Millwall only had 10 men.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Pretty poor for much of the game but showed great character to get back into it.

My concern is we need to play with more urgency. Too many times it's a sideways or backwards pass. When do we ever catch a team by surprise with a quick counter, from a goal kick or a quick throw etc? It's always so slow and allows the opposition to track back, We're desperately predictable at times and we cry out for some creativity.

Short memory !

Against Huddersfield 2 games ago with a quickly taken free kick

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I think perhaps you've just failed to keep up with the game a bit. Times change. Defenders are far better these days, for starters.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's even more shocking when you remember Millwall only had 10 men.

For 30 seconds at the end.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread about how boring we are to watch and I find it hard to get really excited about the Semi Final knowing that we needed a woeful error from a goalkeeper to get us out of jail. Yes, we should have had a penalty and the foul on Murray is outrageous for their first goal but it doesn't change the fact that until we were 2-0 down, we didn't play with anything like the sort of purpose and desire you would expect.

Looking at all the celebration pictures I can't help feel that there's a massive disconnect between them and the levels of performances put in by the players during the game. If that's how desperate they are to win the game, why not show it in the first 70 minutes? Why wait until we were almost out of the Cup before they actually started moving the ball with a purpose and playing to win, rather than playing to complete a fixture?

Knockaert's wondergoal at Palace saved a lot of abusive postings on here and the goalkeeping catastrophe yesterday saved even more. That's how fine the line is on this schizophrenic forum.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread but the level of negativity around the performance is ridiculous:

1 - The five previous premier league teams who went to Millwall lost (including a team way above us in the table this season in Everton)
2 - The atmosphere was electric, the pitch was bobbly and the weather conditions were atrocious at times - all things that create the perfect recipe for an upset (see point 1)
3 - We were denied a blatant penalty to take the lead which would have altered the whole course of the match. They on the other hand were given the first goal when it should have been disallowed thus giving them momentum. (I wont even reference the Locadia goal!)

Yet despite all the above we won. We are into the semi finals. People who expected us to turn up and blow them away don't understand football it was never going to happen. Even Man City struggled to get past Swansea and they had decisions go for rather than against them and yet we have some so called 'fans' having a moan. Absolute ridiculous and I hope they don't bother going to the semi-final as they clearly understand what supporting Brighton is all about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here