Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sian Massey

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having just watched it again it was close and you can see why she gave it. VAR would have changed it.

She looked gutted when she was told. She is after all only human.

The disgrace is the FA for not having VAR in all the quarters.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Let’s for getting her gender for a minute.

****ing disgrace. Should not be anywhere near a game with the implications of today. She is utterly woeful. Hopefully the FA finally realise how poor she is and mercifully pull the plug on her doomed career.

She made one understandable mistake. Other than that, most sensible people seem to think she's ok...... which she is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It wasn't even a tight call

She couldn’t ****ing see them. Two Brighton players were blocking her view. To suggest it wasn’t even close is daft also.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
As others have said, Sian is the most easily identified Asst for obvious reasons. She’s run the line at a fair number of our games and has always done a decent job as far as I can remember. The woman must have real commitment and dedication to keep going in a professional world that is not welcoming to females.
She had a bad one yesterday, and not just with the offside (which btw I don’t think was a terribly difficult decision seeing as she had the line of the penalty box to help her, but hey ho it happens). I bet she’s still gutted today, and us coming through it will be of little solace to her. She has probably spent hours rewatching the game from an official’s pov and analysing what went right / wrong. I’m sure what fans and pundits say is much less impactful for her than her own self-criticism, so I for one will let her get on with it and wish her well for the next time we see her at the Amex.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
She had a poor game but to be fair the intimidation she must have gotten from the Millwall a foot or two behind her and it being almost the last kick of the game I don't blame her but I do blame who ever it was who put her in that position she should have been given the fourth officials role for this particular game and instead stuck Kevin Friend out on the wing he must be use to the abuse by now

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
My (spurs supporting) fiancée was more appalled than I was. It’s also quite telling that the match commentators were treading very carefully saying “you can easily see how she missed that” which was a load of codswallop. No one watching that game either at the den or on TV would have seen an offside there.The odd mistake is OK, we all make them, but she was shit for most of the game.Ifthat was a male lino they would have slammed his as incompetent but we all know that female officials are above criticism and that fact just isn’t fair.

Your either up to the job or your not. Sian Massey is not but she will be allowed to continue to officiate at important and high profile events purely because she is a female.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My (spurs supporting) fiancée was more appalled than I was. It’s also quite telling that the match commentators were treading very carefully saying “you can easily see how she missed that” which was a load of codswallop. No one watching that game either at the den or on TV would have seen an offside there.The odd mistake is OK, we all make them, but she was shit for most of the game.Ifthat was a male lino they would have slammed his as incompetent but we all know that female officials are above criticism and that fact just isn’t fair.

Your either up to the job or your not. Sian Massey is not but she will be allowed to continue to officiate at important and high profile events purely because she is a female.

Oh look, more blatant sexism. So delighted my daughters are growing up in a world with the likes of you in it

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

To put it simply, you're wrong. To put it slightly differently, you're not right.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
She got everything else right.
She is a decent assistant.
She made a very bad call on the onside goal though.
It was nowhere near as bad as the decision an assistant made a couple of weeks ago from a dead ball situation where he was not in line and was leaning, from a dead ball FFS.
I have got far more issues with that bent and useless ref.
Thankfully it doesn't matter now, but if it did yes I would be fuming, it was a bad mistake.
I think she is ok tbh.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Oh look, more blatant sexism. So delighted my daughters are growing up in a world with the likes of you in it

I started by saying that my (female) other half was far more upset that a fellow woman was so obviously failing in her professional duty. It doesn’t appear that you and Dave were watching the match. If you were watching then, I’d say, don’t understand the rules of the game or how the Lino makes decisions.

There are white lines painted on the pitch which are there to allow the referees team decide when things like offside, penalties and throw ins/corners/goal kicks should be awarded, and the actual size of the playing area.

Sian (bless her) was looking along the painted line of the 18 yard box and yet still managed to flag a player who was BEHIND her,when the ball was played, as offside. I’m not sure how such a decision could be made given the circumstances is beyond me.

My point isn’t about her sex, it’s about her competence. It’s BECAUSE of her SEX that no one can criticise her ability to do her job. That’s not fair to her, the players or supporters.

I respectfully suggest that I’m right on this and you are politically correct but ,factually, wrong. Bully for you.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
male or female lines person - i don't care. they are all pretty shit from where i sit at the Amex but she is consistently one of, if not the, worst i have seen.

that offside call was a disgrace. she is getting paid for that.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Its not the first bad decision she has made against us this year but I dont remember any other lino being called out for their mistakes so it has to be gender doesnt it. So no lets not forget that unless you call out the one who ****ed up at Swansea.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I started by saying that my (female) other half was far more upset that a fellow woman was so obviously failing in her professional duty. It doesn’t appear that you and Dave were watching the match. If you were watching then, I’d say, don’t understand the rules of the game or how the Lino makes decisions.

There are white lines painted on the pitch which are there to allow the referees team decide when things like offside, penalties and throw ins/corners/goal kicks should be awarded, and the actual size of the playing area.

Sian (bless her) was looking along the painted line of the 18 yard box and yet still managed to flag a player who was BEHIND her,when the ball was played, as offside. I’m not sure how such a decision could be made given the circumstances is beyond me.

My point isn’t about her sex, it’s about her competence. It’s BECAUSE of her SEX that no one can criticise her ability to do her job. That’s not fair to her, the players or supporters.

I respectfully suggest that I’m right on this and you are politically correct but ,factually, wrong. Bully for you.

You don't need to try and explain yourself, don't worry, I don't expect anyone accused of sexism to say 'fair enough, you're right', but it's writ large in your original post.

I guess if you point me to the thread where everyone makes personal attacks on the linesman who allowed Cardiff's late winner at our game there last year, I'll reconsider my judgement

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Massey made a key blunder, as did the ref, and as do Friend/Atkinson/Mike Dean on a regular basis.

Nowt to do with gender or picking on Massey, instead NSC and other clubs fans will always pick up on incompetence.

She made a mistake - she isn't the first lino to do so nor will she be the last. Yet we don't get threads stretching to nearly 80 posts naming a male lino that made a mistake in one of our games. The thread has happened because she is female.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It is ridiculous to say that we should 'forget her gender'.

I would imagine that she is the ONLY lino that people know the name of, due to the fact that she is a woman. Other linos make ridiculous decisions week in, week out, but they are forgotten.

Her occasional mistakes (and she makes no more than any of her colleagues) are magnified due to her being instantly recognisable, and due to her gender.

That is absolute rubbish.

Her gender has absolutely nothing to do with this - there has been nothing on it to suggest otherwise.. It’s only posts like yours which try and make it relevant.

I guarantee you this thread would have existed regardless of who was running the line. The fact is she made an incorrect decision in the last minute of a very tight game. That is going to generate comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
You don't need to try and explain yourself, don't worry, I don't expect anyone accused of sexism to say 'fair enough, you're right', but it's writ large in your original post.

I guess if you point me to the thread where everyone makes personal attacks on the linesman who allowed Cardiff's late winner at our game there last year, I'll reconsider my judgement

If it was just about one decision then you’d be right. She is a poor official. End of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here