Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sian Massey

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not sure how you explain The Complete And Utter Shyster then. Everyone knows he's crap and yet........
[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] is also correct, the regard English officials are held in world wide is not great.

You prove my point about bias. Dean will be forever remembered by Albion fans for the incident at 'Boro. However, I believe he has reffed us on a number of occasions since when he has done a decent job. It won't matter though, as your bias tells you he is shit. This bias is no different to what some fans show towards players. They can have the best run of form in the world, but are complete shit if they make a mistake...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You prove my point about bias. Dean will be forever remembered by Albion fans for the incident at 'Boro. However, I believe he has reffed us on a number of occasions since when he has done a decent job. It won't matter though, as your bias tells you he is shit. This bias is no different to what some fans show towards players. They can have the best run of form in the world, but are complete shit if they make a mistake...

Rafa does not rate him

The time he got demoted

Arsenal hate him

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Refereeing decisions, good or bad, have given us 12 pages of discussion on this thread, given us all countless, if not hundreds of hours of conversation down the pub, and so much banter in the workplace that could never be replicated. We can never change that Whiteside tackle on Ramsey in 83, or the abysmal refereeing against massive just a few years ago, or Knocky being allowed to stay on the pitch last weekend. But we can talk about it.

Over a season, not an FA Cup match, I have no doubt that these things even out, and they are part of all that is good about our beautiful game. Take away those conversations and half of the attraction of the game is gone. VAR will be the death of football as we have known and loved it for over a hundred years.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Refereeing decisions, good or bad, have given us 12 pages of discussion on this thread, given us all countless, if not hundreds of hours of conversation down the pub, and so much banter in the workplace that could never be replicated. We can never change that Whiteside tackle on Ramsey in 83, or the abysmal refereeing against massive just a few years ago, or Knocky being allowed to stay on the pitch last weekend. But we can talk about it.

Over a season, not an FA Cup match, I have no doubt that these things even out, and they are part of all that is good about our beautiful game. Take away those conversations and half of the attraction of the game is gone. VAR will be the death of football as we have known and loved it for over a hundred years.

Goal line technology is I think what most wanted. But why not take this to it's ridiculous extreme and do away with officials completely and let ALL decisions be made remotely.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not reading this thread as I'm sure her gender and whether she's gay or straight have been discussed at length when they are irrelevant. She didn't make the correct call, but then her male colleagues got other big decisions wrong so the fact that she could be a transgender former bricklayer called Sam is neither here nor there - she was no worse than her colleagues.

The more pertinent question is: were the officials intimidated by the crowd? I would say yes, and the fact all the big decisions (barring the sending-off) went Millwall's way were nothing to do with gender or competence and everything to do with fear of physical safety. Either that or the FA are using referees who really ARE blind.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The more pertinent question is: were the officials intimidated by the crowd? I would say yes, and the fact all the big decisions (barring the sending-off) went Millwall's way were nothing to do with gender or competence and everything to do with fear of physical safety. Either that or the FA are using referees who really ARE blind.

There has been some interesting analysis that suggests that home ground advantage is mainly due to officials being influenced by the home crowd.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm Level One Coach qualified and run the line every week in under 12s.

Dan Cook - named twice in subsequent posts on two threads.

As I said, Dan Cook.

I appreciate you did name him having looked back over the threads.

On a serious note though, I appreciate she made the wrong call (that much is not in doubt), but as a qualified coach and someone who regularly runs the line, do you honestly think that's an easy call in real time? As someone in exactly the same position as you, I most certainly don't.

And even if you do think it was an easy call and she should've got it right, do you really think it requires a whole thread regarding that call? And do you really think this thread would've been started if she was a man who'd made that call? I honestly don't to either question.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

On a serious note though, I appreciate she made the wrong call (that much is not in doubt), but as a qualified coach and someone who regularly runs the line, do you honestly think that's an easy call in real time? As someone in exactly the same position as you, I most certainly don't.

And even if you do think it was an easy call and she should've got it right, do you really think it requires a whole thread regarding that call? And do you really think this thread would've been started if she was a man who'd made that call? I honestly don't to either question.

Was it an easy call? No, it was difficult at full speed.

Should "she" have got her own thread? Probably not. Except......

Should "the decision" have got its own thread? Absolutely. Potentially cost us our Wembley trip aftr 120 minutes of horror. However difficult you'd hope these go right. VAR will help though. So...

Would the thread have been started were it a man? Yes. I'd have probably started it as I did for Dan Cook's errors (which were worse and more basic) after Leicester. In fact I did start a thread immediately after the game about all three officials and VAR, meaning to call out not just the offside but the poor decisions from the male ref.

I tend to agree with HKFC that Massey has had a tendency to make it up at the Amex. I think it is to the board's credit that up to now it's not been commented on.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not sure if already mentioned or generally known but I've just found out she was awarded the MBE in 2017 for services to football.

(Cue offerings for alternative meanings of what MBE might stand for).

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I tend to agree with HKFC that Massey has had a tendency to make it up at the Amex. I think it is to the board's credit that up to now it's not been commented on.

I don't know the names of any linesmen other than Ellis-Massey (to give it her full name - or the other way round! Doh). Do many people ? I'd be surprised. It is only her gender that makes her decisions (good or bad) noticeable.

This thread just feels wrong.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't know the names of any linesmen other than Ellis-Massey (to give it her full name - or the other way round! Doh). Do many people ? I'd be surprised. It is only her gender that makes her decisions (good or bad) noticeable.

This thread just feels wrong.

Agree. I also notice that this thread has been tagged in the "humour" category. Guess that tells you what the OP thinks of female assistants.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
People saying she was influenced by the crowd at Millwall but been biased towards us at home and made mistakes?

Fwiw, I think overall she has been a decent assistant and must take so much stick from pi88ed up hard men most weekends but still keeps coming back for more.

Credit to her.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Was it an easy call? No, it was difficult at full speed.

Should "she" have got her own thread? Probably not. Except......

Should "the decision" have got its own thread? Absolutely. Potentially cost us our Wembley trip aftr 120 minutes of horror. However difficult you'd hope these go right. VAR will help though. So...

Would the thread have been started were it a man? Yes. I'd have probably started it as I did for Dan Cook's errors (which were worse and more basic) after Leicester. In fact I did start a thread immediately after the game about all three officials and VAR, meaning to call out not just the offside but the poor decisions from the male ref.

If it's a difficult call and anyone with any sense can see that, then why is it getting its own thread? Humans make mistakes - the thread should be about the lack of VAR to help if that's the case.

Let's also be clear also that this thread was started with the opening line being 'let's forget her gender here for a minute'. Call me pedantic but when you start a thread like that, what you're really saying is "the bloody woman can't do a man's job". Now I appreciate you didn't start this thread and I appreciate that you have started another thread where you've been critical of them as a team rather than her solely, but we're in a discussion about her specifically and her decision at the weekend. And bearing in mind the nature of how this thread has been started, I think it's quite clear that this thread has been started because of her gender, and I'd have to question whether the OP would've started it (and whether it would've got some of the replies it's had) if she wasn't female.

But I suspect we're going to disagree on this, so maybe it's just best we leave this where it is.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You need to be far tougher to be a female assistant or referee than a male. Credit to her.

And, seemingly also better at running the line than any of them too.

I think somebody has already pointed this out: what's the name of the linesman who failed to spot Sol Bamba being two yards offside when he scored Cardiff's late winner against us earlier this season? Where are the demands for him to be related to lower league games? Where is his personalised thread?

Virtually nobody around me complained about that disallowed goal at the time. Montoya looked miles off to me because it was one of those where the players were instantaneously moving in opposite directions so suddenly he's in acres of space. It was only when messages started arriving from people watching on TV that those in the ground realised we might have been robbed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Not just that call, she is so bad that I predicted she was worth a goal disallowed before the game. Past record is appalling. Anyone in East Lower would know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here