Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sian Massey

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think it is forgetting her sex.

The reason I say this is because I don't think, had it been the other lino, there would have been a thread naming them and singling them out.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
To be fair, whenever I've seen her in the past, she has seemed highly competent, despite the gender bias that I'm sure she probably experiences. Last couple of games though, she has seemed very quick to raise the flag before thinking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What was the name of the other linesman?
All officials make mistakes, and Massey has officiated at lots of our games in the past, getting the majority of decisions right.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It looked onside from the normal camera angle at real speed so it was a really poor decision from her to flag for offside when 2 Millwall players were goalside of Montoya.

2 Millwall players that she couldn’t see from her position, mind.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Terrible call that. She was even up with play and the action was near her. Really bad.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very unfair. All of us in pub thought it was offside and it will only be VAR that sorts decisions like that out. VAR will however be a pain for penalties and handballs as all down to opinions

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Anyone that thinks that was an easy decision is deluded. if you see it again he's only marginally onside at the point the ball is played and moving fairly quickly. The player passing the ball forward is far enough away at enough of an angle that she cant see both players at the same time. Picking those out is no simple skill and the very best are going to call plenty of that sort of decision wrong

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
All 3 main officials in the team were abject today.

Sian Massey-Ellis was part of this, so she deserves an amount of criticism that's in proportion to her errors. No more, no less.

Non-given penalties, Murray taken out before their 1st, a clear handball in the build-up to their 2nd, inconsistency with fouls and bookings.

And all that was before Locadia's winner was incorrectly ruled out.

These are currently the 4 top-ranked comments from the BBC's match summary.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47512116/comments?sortBy=HighestRating&sortOrder=Descending&filter=none#comments

"Another unbelievably poor game from the officials, which luckily this time didn't cost a team a place at Wembley like Swansea."

"Millwall did okay but, the officials were a disgrace."

"Brighton had to win that game 3 times due to some abysmal refereeing."

"Justice done after some shockingly biased refereeing from Chris Kavanaugh."

It's clear from the above that VAR has to come in asap.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Terrible call that. She was even up with play and the action was near her. Really bad.

But, you notice that she couldn't see the Millwall players from her position, given two Brighton players are in line in front of them. From her viewpoint I think most would've given offside there.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very unfair. All of us in pub thought it was offside and it will only be VAR that sorts decisions like that out. VAR will however be a pain for penalties and handballs as all down to opinions
Why is it unfair ? You are in a pub drinking beer and watching on a tv screen other aspects of the game.

The lino was less than 10 feet away and her job is to watch this sort of thing very closely. It isn't unfair in the slightest. It's happened now move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here