Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sian Massey

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
But, you notice that she couldn't see the Millwall players from her position, given two Brighton players are in line in front of them. From her viewpoint I think most would've given offside there.

It wasn't even a tight call

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Don’t buy any of this - she flagged too late.

And the offside wasn’t even close...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She flagged straight away.

The offside was close, especially at full speed and with multiple players around the same line.

She's one of the better officials in the PL. She got this one wrong. It happens. That's why we need VAR at this stage in the FA Cup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It wasn't even a tight call

I think your posts on this matter say more about you and your weird priorities rather than the standard of officiating. It didn’t cost us anything but above all, and just to remind you, we are in the FA Cup semi-final!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Let’s for getting her gender for a minute.

****ing disgrace. Should not be anywhere near a game with the implications of today. She is utterly woeful. Hopefully the FA finally realise how poor she is and mercifully pull the plug on her doomed career.

Everyone is only talking about one mistake. Is that all it takes these days? One mistake, on a tight call that a lot of people in real time thought was the correct decision, and it makes someone a disgrace who shouldn't be anywhere near the game? Seems a little over the top to me.

Around the time she came to the attention of the footballing community, thanks to Keys and Gray, there was a lot of focus on her and a lot of attention. We all knew her, and would look at her for any error, or simply to judge her performance because we knew her. She was flawless.

The years passed and the incident that brought her to our attention was largely forgotten. But in her recent games of ours, there has tended to be a slip in her performances. Mistakes slipping in.

Still think it's harsh to write off her career because of one entirely understandable mistake, that ultimately didn't stop us going through.

What was the name of the other linesman?
All officials make mistakes, and Massey has officiated at lots of our games in the past, getting the majority of decisions right.

I think this is a bit of the crux. So many posters noting 'it's not about her gender' and I'm fairly sure it isn't. Maybe there might be something subconscious at work in one or two people, but I think it is more because she is known and so easily identifiable. We don't know the names of many other assistant refs (other than 4th officials who we know only because they're usually referees themselves). We see her, we know her, so when she makes a mistake it isn't 'nameless assistant makes a mistake, no idea if it's the same one who made that mistake in that game earlier this season' it's "sian massey made a mistake, she made one v that other team".

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I don't think you are forgetting her gender, but yeah poor decision, but against the backdrop of the ref being fearful of the Millwall support. Had he been strong, perhaps the officiating team would have followed f suit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You lot need to try running the line.

Sky did a thing with Carra & Neville last season where they spent a week with the Premier League refs, by far the most difficult thing they did was running the line. At real time it’s a very difficult job and they offside was close.

If we had lost I’d be fuming but I can see why... it’s why we need VAR

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I think you'll find, like any official, they are only human and the vociferous Millwall crowd behind her were baiting her from the first whistle.

She was becoming more and more influenced to their shouting at her from early on and then went on to make one, maybe two errors of judgement, wasn't surprised by the time we had that overlap that she got it wrong, can you imagine the flack she would have got from that lot, VAR would have saved us and her, blame the useless FA

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It is ridiculous to say that we should 'forget her gender'.

I would imagine that she is the ONLY lino that people know the name of, due to the fact that she is a woman. Other linos make ridiculous decisions week in, week out, but they are forgotten.

Her occasional mistakes (and she makes no more than any of her colleagues) are magnified due to her being instantly recognisable, and due to her gender.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
All the three officials were poor. Even the TV commentators made a botched attempt to hide their feeling of the ref's inadequacies. VAR needs to be introduced for all these major matches. Still eh, who cares our 11 beat their 14 (then 13).

TNBA

TTF

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with those that say we need VAR. As I said on the VAR thread I’ve changed my mind on it after this weekend. The mistakes made at Swansea were just as bad and officials have dictated the results (in error) in two Quarter Finals.

However, in regards to Massey AND the other two, if you are going to shit yourself at places like Millwall then you shouldn’t be doing the job. They were a collective disgrace but you have to wonder who chose that particular officiating team for that particular game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
not reading this thread - as she gets most things right. she looked mortified at the end of game before shoot out when she was told it was inside. at least we won the shoot out so it's not all everyone's talking about

ref was shit though

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think she needs to take a long hard look at herself..................I mean who was at home making her husband's Sunday lunch?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If they had been using VAR, she wouldnt have flagged for offside anyway. Linos are told not to for borderline decisions and the VAR referee would have alerted the referee if it was offside

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
You lot need to try running the line.

Sky did a thing with Carra & Neville last season where they spent a week with the Premier League refs, by far the most difficult thing they did was running the line. At real time it’s a very difficult job and they offside was close.

I saw this too, it gives a great insight into the training etc that the linos go through. Since watching it I've been far less scathing towards those running the line than I used to be, that's for sure!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here