Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I’m now pro VAR - disgraceful officiating

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Using technology is a must, but how it's used is the important bit. Cricket has it right. I don't watch rugby, but don't they have a 4th official? With TV etc? That's the way to do it, swiftly, accurately and scientifically.

the standard of officiating in the premiership is far lower than in the lower leagues, relatively. The game is fast and snide at times, the officials need to be highly professional, full time, and appropriately remunerated.

Rugby does have a 4th official watching and when he’s asked to review something he does so with the ref watching the big screens so all the crowd can see what’s going on. Yesterday in the Wales match the referee actually overturned 2 of his own decisions when he saw the replay on the screen. Very honest of him and no arguments as all could see that was right thing to do.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
VAR will still get it wrong as it is still a human decision. Jury is out for me on this technology.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I've been against VAR, because of the time taken to make decisions, the subjective nature of some decisions, and the farcical examples of it being used in the past. I remember a Cup game I think involving Man Utd last season, and there was an offside call that was referred to VAR. This was the result:

NSC Image.PNG

The problem is, advocates may well be right - it may well eliminate 90% of all blatant errors, but even one error from VAR will lead to us questioning its judgement. Ultimately, there will still always be a human making the final call - whether it's the on-pitch official or someone sitting in a chair 50 miles away.

I'm happy to be converted, but remain a stubborn cynic for the time being.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That's clearly the way to do it. Th FA may possibly catch up before I die. That's a close call given how ****ing retarded that are.

Rugby does have a 4th official watching and when he’s asked to review something he does so with the ref watching the big screens so all the crowd can see what’s going on. Yesterday in the Wales match the referee actually overturned 2 of his own decisions when he saw the replay on the screen. Very honest of him and no arguments as all could see that was right thing to do.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Coming from rugby, it is important to understand that VAR will take some getting used to. It changes a lot. But it does improve things a lot too.

There is another consideration, which will also face opposition but would ultimately be accepted and improve things. That being playing to the clock.

It means that injury time no longer exists. The clock is stopped at the referee's instruction. The stops time wasting and helps the flow of the game. Once time is up the game is stopped once the ball is out of play.

I know, a huge shift. But ironed out I think folk would appreciate it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The linesmans absolutely bang on in his positioning, I think that's offside.

I've been against VAR, because of the time taken to make decisions, the subjective nature of some decisions, and the farcical examples of it being used in the past. I remember a Cup game I think involving Man Utd last season, and there was an offside call that was referred to VAR. This was the result:

View attachment 106048

The problem is, advocates may well be right - it may well eliminate 90% of all blatant errors, but even one error from VAR will lead to us questioning its judgement. Ultimately, there will still always be a human making the final call - whether it's the on-pitch official or someone sitting in a chair 50 miles away.

I'm happy to be converted, but remain a stubborn cynic for the time being.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
She lost her bottle I think. Had a few wannabe hard men shouting so put the flag up. They even aluded to this in the commentary about how brave she’d have been to do that in front of the Millwall ‘fans’ - ****ing irrelevant - rules are rules!

surely it would have been brave if she called it in front of Brighton supporters ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We’d have won that in 90 with VAR. Poorest officials this season by a marathon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who isn't Team VAR is probably a big fan of VHS, dial-up, and Proper Journalism (Fiesta Magazine in glorious technicolour).

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Whether you agree with VAR or not, you simply cannot have a situation where some games in a particular competition have it and some don’t.

It’s not a level playing field and it’s not fair. City should never ever have won last night and there were so many basic officiating errors today VAR would have absolutely made a difference.

Utterly ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You know it's bad when the commentary team are stating their belief the referee is being one sided and "it's not an even playing field" with regards to no VAR in our match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's wet, cold and twenty thousand chavs have been calling you a c*nt all match. It's inevitable the ref and linos will make mistakes, they need as much help as they can get.

I'm not surprised Millwal's cup record is as good as it is, it being a nightmare destination for officials.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It's wet, cold and twenty thousand chavs have been calling you a c*nt all match. It's inevitable the ref and linos will make mistakes, they need as much help as they can get.

I'm not surprised Millwal's cup record is as good as it is, it being a nightmare destination for officials.

That’s still no excuse.

It was a dreadful decision. She flagged when the player received the ball......

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
From the benefit of the tv I clearly called the foul on Murray before the first and clearly saw a handball on the halfway line before the second. Terrible refereeing. The gaol in the last minute was marginal but var would have said yes.

I am in the pro camp.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It was Fa Cup quarter final weekend ALL games should have had VAR - it’s ludicrous some did and some didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That’s still no excuse.

It was a dreadful decision. She flagged when the player received the ball......

It was the wrong decision. I don't know if it was dreadful. If I was linesman I'd probably get it wrong half of the time, it's not an easy job.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Like the game its self, the officials were poor today. Right result though and great experience, coming back 2-0 to win. We will need some of that fight for the rest of the Cup and League. UTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here