Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I’m now pro VAR - disgraceful officiating

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Whether you agree with VAR or not, you simply cannot have a situation where some games in a particular competition have it and some don’t.

It’s not a level playing field and it’s not fair. City should never ever have won last night and there were so many basic officiating errors today VAR would have absolutely made a difference.

Utterly ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would City not have won last night with VAR? They might have scored a last minute equaliser and scored eight in extra time. Or won on pens. It’s so simplistic to say goals two and three should not have stood so it would have ended 2-1 to Swansea. No one knows how it would have finished.

Ridiculous

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You didn't need to be an expert in lipreading when the 4th official told the lino that Locardias "goal" was on side. The only major decision that the office got right today was the sending off which deserves more than a 3 match ban imho.

Agreed. The idea of that challenge being given the same punishment that Tomer's accidental step against Newcastle is ludicrous.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whether you agree with VAR or not, you simply cannot have a situation where some games in a particular competition have it and some don’t.

It’s not a level playing field and it’s not fair. City should never ever have won last night and there were so many basic officiating errors today VAR would have absolutely made a difference.

Utterly ridiculous.

Which for the FA cup, would mean no VAR, because of the status of the majority of teams that enter the competition.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've run the line a few times this season, it's hard to have full conviction at times as you're watching 3 or 4 things at once. Sometimes the ref asks you as he couldn't see. GULP! The OS line is my priority as it's contentious. I'm only @ Sunday morning U14 level. The worst bit is parent/coaches some of them on a Milwall level. One thing I've always hated is 'gamesmanship' or, deliberately trying to cheat. Infuriates me.

It was the wrong decision. I don't know if it was dreadful. If I was linesman I'd probably get it wrong half of the time, it's not an easy job.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Why would City not have won last night with VAR? They might have scored a last minute equaliser and scored eight in extra time. Or won on pens. It’s so simplistic to say goals two and three should not have stood so it would have ended 2-1 to Swansea. No one knows how it would have finished.

Ridiculous

It is not ridiculous at all.

It is not simplistic to say that their second and third goals should not have been given - they shouldn’t, fact.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
It is not ridiculous at all.

It is not simplistic to say that their second and third goals should not have been given - they shouldn’t, fact.

Just the second would have been disallowed as the third wouldn’t have happened in the same way. Sliding doors and all that.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
When VAR first started did think it was a crap idea - now a convert too

Swansea were robbed yesterday - as we very nearly were today too

VAR should be mandatory for all FA Cup quarter finals next year - and the FA should pay for it themselves if non PL teams grounds are the excuse

how it can be used on only certain games at the same stage of the competetion is plain wrong, Should be all or nothing (nothing IMO until its been beta tested much more, but thats by the by)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've run the line a few times this season, it's hard to have full conviction at times as you're watching 3 or 4 things at once. Sometimes the ref asks you as he couldn't see. GULP! The OS line is my priority as it's contentious. I'm only @ Sunday morning U14 level. The worst bit is parent/coaches some of them on a Milwall level. One thing I've always hated is 'gamesmanship' or, deliberately trying to cheat. Infuriates me.

At U-13 level there definitely seems a tendency that if in doubt then flag. Half the stuff given offside never is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, yes they were

You might be correct?

97C838F1-CF95-4201-BE93-1A4BC1A44AD4.png

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Rugby does have a 4th official watching and when he’s asked to review something he does so with the ref watching the big screens so all the crowd can see what’s going on. Yesterday in the Wales match the referee actually overturned 2 of his own decisions when he saw the replay on the screen. Very honest of him and no arguments as all could see that was right thing to do.

My recollection that when the video ref system started in rugby matches (both codes) was that the TV official was used when a game was broadcast live and often the official was in the host broadcasters truck in the car park. So, whilst I get the argument that at the moment in many FA Cup matches played away from the full broadcasting glare VAR would be a problem, when we have matches broadcast live you have the infrastructure in place to replicate that. The officials are already miked up and communicating to each other, so one more headset shouldn't be a problem. Or is it the monitors pitch side that are the problem?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Coming from rugby, it is important to understand that VAR will take some getting used to. It changes a lot. But it does improve things a lot too.

There is another consideration, which will also face opposition but would ultimately be accepted and improve things. That being playing to the clock.

It means that injury time no longer exists. The clock is stopped at the referee's instruction. The stops time wasting and helps the flow of the game. Once time is up the game is stopped once the ball is out of play.

I know, a huge shift. But ironed out I think folk would appreciate it.
Teams could still time waste though?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Teams could still time waste though?

Yes, but less so. It becomes counter productive if the clock is stopped. Also encourages more punishment from exasperated refs.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, but less so. It becomes counter productive if the clock is stopped. Also encourages more punishment from exasperated refs.
Oh I get what it means now, sorry just got home..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
With VAR, why does the Assistant even need to bother with offside? When it’s in place, they can’t flag anyway until the ball is pretty much in the net, just in case they’re wrong.

As all offsides can be checked within seconds and far more accurately, perhaps play should just continue and the linesman should only raise their flag when they’re told to by the VAR.

Freed from having to look along the line all the time, they could actually do something useful and help the ref on more serious offences (the Hendrick non-penalty and Huddersfield foul on Andone spring to mind).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here