Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Worse pub in Sussex?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mount Pleasant Inn gets my vote. (the town that time forgot) any others worth considering. :drink:

Where’s that?

I haven’t visited all the pubs in Sussex but in my local area I’d say The Waterside and The Swiss Cottage. Both Greene King, both run by people who couldn’t give a toss about the place. Utter toilets. The Waterside used to be okay up until about 2 years ago. It’s gone downhill rapidly.

I took a shit in The Albion Inn on the Brighton Road once. By the look of it, one wouldn’t do much else in there.

boik

I went into the Samuel Johnson in Crawley to kill time whilst waiting for an appointment. Almost every beer was off, crisps were stale, pool table was ripped. Was a few years back but worst I’ve been in.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Grenadier in Hangleton has to be up there.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Crawley had a fine choice of really, really shit pubs when i lived there. Each neighbourhood when it was built was provided with a parade of shops with a church and a pub nearby and without exception all the pubs were crap. Built with only the worst materials and designed by people without a clue how to make a comfortable space the they were differentiated only by the people that used them. And for this reason my award for the worst of the worst goes to the Imperial ( formerly the Mark Lemon) of Broadfield where the combination of environment and clientele creates the pinnacle of the truly awful Crawley Boozer Experience. Rather liked the Swan, Brewery Shades (my man was invariably in there) and The Rocket though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Seafield

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Where’s that?

I haven’t visited all the pubs in Sussex but in my local area I’d say The Waterside and The Swiss Cottage. Both Greene King, both run by people who couldn’t give a toss about the place. Utter toilets. The Waterside used to be okay up until about 2 years ago. It’s gone downhill rapidly.

I took a shit in The Albion Inn on the Brighton Road once. By the look of it, one wouldn’t do much else in there.
Agree with the Waterside.... although I would go further back than 2 years.

Quick food though. Ordered at the bar, walked outside but realised it was too cold so walked straight back in, found a table and our food followed us. Under 5mins for a curry....we haven't eaten there since

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Where’s that?

I’ve been meeting a few mates in the waterside every Monday night for 16 years. I’ve seen it peak and trough (mostly trough) in that time, and have to agree with your view currently. Rubbish pub.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There is no reason to ever go in either of those licensed cess-pits, (marginally) better pubs in Shoreham have long been closed an converted into flats/restaurants/stressco.

I haven’t visited all the pubs in Sussex but in my local area I’d say The Waterside and The Swiss Cottage. Both Greene King, both run by people who couldn’t give a toss about the place. Utter toilets. The Waterside used to be okay up until about 2 years ago. It’s gone downhill rapidly. .

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree with the Waterside.... although I would go further back than 2 years.

Quick food though. Ordered at the bar, walked outside but realised it was too cold so walked straight back in, found a table and our food followed us. Under 5mins for a curry....we haven't eaten there since

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

The food is okay if you need a quick bite after a cycle or a walk. I live very nearby so I used to be a regular but yes maybe 3 or 4 years ago they started changing landladies regularly, each one worse than the last.
The service has always been terrible at the bar but gone totally to the dogs with the latest landlady.
Even when the customers are backing up and one poor lass is behind the bar she, steadfastly sits on the wrong side of the jump chatting to her mates and ignoring the fact her staff need help .

Plus they seem to have turned it into youth club for skinny , chav delinquents and fat slags. The signs plastered all over the outside are ugly and cheap and every Saturday and Sunday morning when I go last there is always, without exception, broken glass and vomit on the forecourt and pavement.

I only ever use that place now in the good weather as sitting indoors there is a very depressing experience.

Much prefer to cross the bridge for The Buck or The Welly or occasionally fin infeelmlike an old fashioned pub in the best sense and getting away from all the ********, I’ll pop to the Sov for a Guinness. The fire and atmosphere in there is a treat.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here