Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Worse pub in Sussex?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Crawley had a fine choice of really, really shit pubs when i lived there. Each neighbourhood when it was built was provided with a parade of shops with a church and a pub nearby and without exception all the pubs were crap. Built with only the worst materials and designed by people without a clue how to make a comfortable space the they were differentiated only by the people that used them. And for this reason my award for the worst of the worst goes to the Imperial ( formerly the Mark Lemon) of Broadfield where the combination of environment and clientele creates the pinnacle of the truly awful Crawley Boozer Experience. Rather liked the Swan, Brewery Shades (my man was invariably in there) and The Rocket though.

The Imperial makes the pub in Shameless look classy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is no reason to ever go in either of those licensed cess-pits, (marginally) better pubs in Shoreham have long been closed an converted into flats/restaurants/stressco.

Quite right. I popped into the Swiss Cottage once and have never been back, and the Waterside is a rare visit , in sunny weather either on the way somewhere or way back. I genuinely.cannot recall the last time I drank there.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Oh - I love threads like this :)

Its great when establishments that think they can get away with crap service and appalling facilities get named and shamed.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's always amazed me that with all that river bank there aren't better pubs with a view, The Bridge is good as a food and family pub, the waterside and C&A could be so much better.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's always amazed me that with all that river bank there aren't better pubs with a view, The Bridge is good as a food and family pub, the waterside and C&A could be so much better.

The Waterside has zero competition on beach side. That could be the making of it but instead they have taken the lazy option and it’s become its downfall.

The Bridge in summer time is as good as a river view as you’re gonna get. The C&A is okay but it’s full of wankers.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Where’s that?

I haven’t visited all the pubs in Sussex but in my local area I’d say The Waterside and The Swiss Cottage. Both Greene King, both run by people who couldn’t give a toss about the place. Utter toilets. The Waterside used to be okay up until about 2 years ago. It’s gone downhill rapidly.

I took a shit in The Albion Inn on the Brighton Road once. By the look of it, one wouldn’t do much else in there.

I was once a Shoreham Beach resident.
It could be such a great pub with its location, but although I lived there for 9 years, I was only tempted in on a couple of occasions. Just always had the look of a pub you want to walk past.
Live in Lancing now, where to start with worst pubs?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The Waterside has zero competition on beach side. That could be the making of it but instead they have taken the lazy option and it’s become its downfall.

The Bridge in summer time is as good as a river view as you’re gonna get. The C&A is okay but it’s full of wankers.

Used to be called The Crown & Anchor by day, but by night The Crown & *anker! My Mrs used to work in the restaurant under the old management. Really lovely people. Did great food, the best Sussex Smokie ever.
Sheperds Neame bought it & it's muck on a truck delivered chilled for re-heating now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Used to be called The Crown & Anchor by day, but by night The Crown & *anker! My Mrs used to work in the restaurant under the old management. Really lovely people. Did great food, the best Sussex Smokie ever.
Sheperds Neame bought it & it's muck on a truck delivered chilled for re-heating now.

That tallies. Food used to be beautiful in there.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone that sells craft beer drunk by idiots with long beards

Good point well made. Usually on these threads the 'worst' pubs are the ones I like, i.e. the ones that haven't been ponced up and still have a few local characters - albeit ones who'll wrap a pool cue round your head if you say something out of place.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite right. I popped into the Swiss Cottage once and have never been back, and the Waterside is a rare visit , in sunny weather either on the way somewhere or way back. I genuinely.cannot recall the last time I drank there.

What a dump. I had to go there for a Mothers Day lunch a few years back.

Unhygienic, hopeless staff, scummers running around, shite food, rundown.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Most pubs are cr*p since they did away with Public and Saloon Bars. In those days the most of the Shoreham pubs owned by Tamplins were decent. The Kemp Town pubs slightly less so.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
The ones that i find the WORST , are the ones that used to be nice n grungy real ale boozers , and have now been ponced up with candles and flowers on every table , any of the ex-pubs in southover/Hanover /Elm grove /queens park , (Brighton ) and anywhere else this has happened ..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The ones that i find the WORST , are the ones that used to be nice n grungy real ale boozers , and have now been ponced up with candles and flowers on every table , any of the ex-pubs in southover/Hanover /Elm grove /queens park , (Brighton ) and anywhere else this has happened ..

It’s a damned shame but a lot of those good old pubs would simply close unless they appealed to families. It’s not good but I see why they do it. So few real pubs left. There’s a few in Shoreham. Lewes offers some good ones too. Quite a few in small villages around West Sussex. I come across a few on my walks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here