Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Millwall vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why? I didn't say we wouldn't, I said we didn't deserve to. I stand by that. If we go on to win it'll be harsh on a Millwall side who have been playing for the win from the beginning.

And cheating, with some help from the ref, from the beginning. Maybe that’s the trouble, we are a nice team, with a super nice manager who sometimes get shit on from a great height.

Of the two teams today I know which I would rather support...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I really don't get some of the comments.
Millwall done the job they were asked to do.
2 banks of 4, physical, 2 men on our players when we had the ball, stop us playing and score at set peices.
They were at home in a QF, full house and probably could not believe that they also had a totally homer ref.
Ok you could argue that we should have played the match as we did in the final 10 minutes, but taking everything into consideration I thought we did ok.
And we won.
And we are in a SF
And we get to go to Wembley at last.
And we are still in with a slim chance of Europe.
And we should stay up.
Not too shabby.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really don't get some of the comments.
Millwall done the job they were asked to do.
2 banks of 4, physical, 2 men on our players when we had the ball, stop us playing and score at set peices.
They were at home in a QF, full house and probably could not believe that they also had a totally homer ref.
Ok you could argue that we should have played the match as we did in the final 10 minutes, but taking everything into consideration I thought we did ok.
And we won.
And we are in a SF
And we get to go to Wembley at last.
And we are still in with a slim chance of Europe.
And we should stay up.
Not too shabby.

What was interesting was how the Albion players kept their heads, despite being 2-0 then 2-1 down and with the adversity of a catalogue of key officials blunders. In the last 40 minutes including ET, with the physical opponents knackered from their aggressive game, we took full control with a passing game. Stephens and Propper with nosebleeds from being camped 35 yards from their goal. It paid off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Class from Murray who didn't initially run and celebrate, but instead shook hands with the Millwall players.

Either that or he was too knackered!
Well it's certainly good that he commiserated the Millwall players, but the reason he didn't run to celebrate is that he couldn't watch the penalty being taken, so when it went over, his teammates ran off to celebrate with Ryan, and he was left on his own.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do genuinely feel for Millwall there. Alright we have been on the receiving end of some crap decisions there but Milwall did everything they could have done.
They cheated!

If they had scored their first goal from a penalty, where they did a Zaha, everyone would be screaming that they cheated. Instead they did a pre-planned American Football tackle on Murray (I'd say rugby, but since Murray didn't have the ball, it'd be a foul in rugby). It's pre-planned cheating.

So **** off Millwall, you got what you deserved.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My wife's words just before they took their last penalty. "Right it's time for visualisation. It's going to go over the bar"..... She hadn't even really been watching the match properly before that.
You could have saved us all a lot of heartache if you'd got the bint to help out earlier.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am not saying it was offside - I am saying it was the least worst of the decisions today.
I agree it wasn't the worst decision of the day, and it was certainly close - the defence were fairly static with Montoya moving at pace. Linos do usually get those right though. For as long as I've criticised refs, I've always had admiration for the linos that get those decisions right. So much so that I came to the conclusion that those decisions aren't that hard after-all. Like Westander says, it was a regulation call for a linesman. That decision is the main point of being a linesman.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reading through the thread I see several posts suggesting Millwall were the better side. I completely disagree.

Sure they put up a fight, so if you add in that we're a division above, you can say they did well for the underdogs. But that doesn't translate to them being the better side, they weren't (IMO, obvs.)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What was interesting was how the Albion players kept their heads, despite being 2-0 then 2-1 down and with the adversity of a catalogue of key officials blunders. In the last 40 minutes including ET, with the physical opponents knackered from their aggressive game, we took full control with a passing game. Stephens and Propper with nosebleeds from being camped 35 yards from their goal. It paid off.

Spot on - there was never a sense of panic (arguably a bit more urgency would have been good - Solly and Jurgen brought that when they came on), we never got frantic as so often happens with a team chasing the game. Wall's timewasting came back to bite them too - Solly's free kick was past the 4 mins added time - extra added due to a) some twunt in the crowd not throwing the ball back and b) Wall's injury time subs

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All our fans saying the commentators were biased against us are just hearing what they want to hear. After the Montoya booking Jenas explicitly calls out that the referee is favouring one side over the other. It’s very rare you hear that.
Yes you're right, it was extremely unusual for the commentator to call out the officials. But then it's also pretty unusual for officials to get that much wrong, all against the same team.

However, that doesn't mean that the general commentary wasn't biased. And not because of some subtle dislike of Brighton, but more likely because when the performances on the pitch are reasonably matched, they felt like commending the underdogs. Then when Millwall took the lead, they had to talk Millwall up. Broadcasters paying for TV rights don't want the commentators to constantly be saying a team is only winning because of poor officiating (it happens a lot), they praise the team in the lead and state that they've been too good for the losers on the day.

Pearce also had his pre-planned speeches of the fans at the Lion's Den to get through. Bullshit like 'Millwall have said to the Premier League big boys, step into our den, come into the lion's den, we have the pride, we have the roar...'.

Even when you're the better team, it's not easy to go somewhere and win easily, so it was no surprise we didn't walk it. Without the poor officials, we'd have scored in the first half, dominated possession and got through comfortably, with the commentary being that we were too good for Millwall.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Really? Apart from the few that were obviously practicing sign language, I thought it was tame compared to the old den.

Ah....if only the younger ones had experienced that. Now that was something else.
Standing side by side on the terraces. Pushed, spat on, sworn at ( and that was just the stewards! ) Attacked from behind, the side, in front. Shitting yourself and thinking..." what in God's name am I doing here "....pushed, jostled, intimidated ( and that was just the local police! )..threatened with knives and assorted weapons ( and that was just the catering staff )
The single, most god-damn awful place I ever visited. It scared you witless. Was once chased all the way to New Cross Station with two mates, literally running for our lives. Lung-bursting sprinting. We were saved by a train just leaving. We leapt on and as it pulled away, they were racing onto the platform and hammering on the train.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But I thought there was benefit of doubt and all that.

From a linesperson point of view, you just can't flag offside unless you are pretty certain, not because well it might have been !
Exactly.

Yes Montoya was moving fast, but that's the ****ing job! That's it. Sure it would help if you also see the odd foul, so you can help the ref, but your one ****ing job is to make the offside calls. Stephens has the ball, he's shaping to pass - is anyone offside? No. Oh, he is now that's he's got the ball, I'll just flag.

****ing useless.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really happy with Locadia's performance, there is definitely a good striker trying to get out there. Great take for the first.
He took his second goal well too. And his third.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

No passion , no commitment , no determination , no talent ....

I would not try and argue that we played well - we didn't. We lacked quality yesterday.. BUT, I cant agree that we lacked commitment, passion, or determination.. I know this will sound like hindsight, but genuinely I thought we were at the very least up for the fight, even possibly too much as we seemed to doubt that we had better quality. In the face of some of the most difficulty conditiuons (weather, fans, refereeing) I thought the commitment was pretty good..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spot on - there was never a sense of panic (arguably a bit more urgency would have been good - Solly and Jurgen brought that when they came on), we never got frantic as so often happens with a team chasing the game. Wall's timewasting came back to bite them too - Solly's free kick was past the 4 mins added time - extra added due to a) some twunt in the crowd not throwing the ball back and b) Wall's injury time subs

I also loved it when Hudd’s timewasting resulted in nowt for them a fortnight. Always great to see.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Tho only thing I did not like about the coverage yesterday, was they kept showing the crowd when the ball was in play

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Exactly.

Yes Montoya was moving fast, but that's the ****ing job! That's it. Sure it would help if you also see the odd foul, so you can help the ref, but your one ****ing job is to make the offside calls. Stephens has the ball, he's shaping to pass - is anyone offside? No. Oh, he is now that's he's got the ball, I'll just flag.

****ing useless.

Take it you've never run the line where players positions change in the blink of an eye?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here