Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Unless we are willing to change our wage structure we will not get him

Our wage structure, if reported accurately, is the one element guaranteed to get us relegated sooner rather than later. A well run club is the ideal, but not when you're running a Premier League squad on Championship wages. How is that going to end well?

And yes, you're quite correct, it's NOT my money. But it's not my massive expenditure on infrastructure either. What's THAT for, if not to underpin a properly funded PL squad?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Our wage structure, if reported accurately, is the one element guaranteed to get us relegated sooner rather than later. A well run club is the ideal, but not when you're running a Premier League squad on Championship wages. How is that going to end well?

Poppycock, we will continue to unearth decent imports far better and cheaper than shelling out massive sums

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Poppycock, we will continue to unearth decent imports far better and cheaper than shelling out massive sums

I think there are other factors to be hopeful about. For instance the longer we stay in the division, the higher up the food chain we move, we're seen less as a favourite for relegation, and more of the 'hoping to push on' teams that make us more enticing. Players that wouldn't risk us last season, might next season if we're going into a third year in the premier league. Or the season after for a fourth, etc. Then we also have the increase in wage structure that will follow improved income from sponsorship deals as we cycle out of the ones signed in the championship and start signing new ones as a premier league club.

Then we also would hope that we'll start seeing returns from our academy, both in gems that step up and join our first team, and those that we can get a profit on boosting our income.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly for us, every top level club on earth is in exactly the same game as us. There ARE no unearthed untracked gems beyond the age of 8. Pay up or ship out.

Are you including crystal Buy High Sell Cheap palace in that?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are you including crystal Buy High Sell Cheap palace in that?

We lost Murray for years because we couldn't match, or even come close to, the deals offered by our competitors. We lost Barnes for the exact same reason. Seems the club don't know what they've got til it's gone. Absolutely LOVELY to have a well-run Championship club, if that's what everyone wants. Tho I strongly suspect it isn't :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And the rest! I reckon someone like West Ham will pay him over 100k

CP and West Ham are happy to pay players £80,000 to well over £100,000 per week.

The Albion £50,000.

Mitrovic can double his income, whilst not having to move home.

So a no brainer, unless TB decides to change our pay structure, to give our first team some quality new players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sadly for us, every top level club on earth is in exactly the same game as us. There ARE no unearthed untracked gems beyond the age of 8. Pay up or ship out.

I beg to differ. Gross, Propper, Bissouma have all been unearthed gems for us.

Paying high wages is no guarantee of staying up as Fulham have found to their cost. Tony Bloom is doing this gradually, without breaking the bank.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We lost Murray for years because we couldn't match, or even come close to, the deals offered by our competitors. We lost Barnes for the exact same reason. Seems the club don't know what they've got til it's gone. Absolutely LOVELY to have a well-run Championship club, if that's what everyone wants. Tho I strongly suspect it isn't :shrug:

Yes, we lost those players to other Championship clubs, but we still got promoted. Your point is?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

That was pre-Premier League

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think we should n't write him off as an option. He has delivered on the park with the right manager . Clearly there is some indication that he might be trouble but is that based on his time at Newcastle or his time at Fulham or indeed is it just a rumour with no foundation.

Regards wages maybe the way to go is not to fill the 25 places but pay higher for more quality AND use some of/more of the u23s to backfill and get some value out of that investment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My point is we'll probably lose Dunk sometime soon for exactly the same reason we lost Murray and Barnes.

We may well as we will not turn down big offers, remember not that long a go he could not turn out for us due to mindset over the Fulham attempt to prise him away, also suspect his renewed contract included a pay rise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here