Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Nelson

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t go drinking in Brighton a great deal these days but for special occasions. Well such an occasion occurred last night. We convened in The Lord Nelson on Trafalgar st.
I’d been a fan of the Nelson since my early days in Brighton back in ‘98 but had not been in there for getting on 5 years I think.
I think they’ve done a terrific job in there. It’s massive but still feels cosy. I was impressed.
So my point is, or rather my question, what other pubs have been refurbed for the better over the last few years, We are planning on doing a pub crawl around old/new pubs soon. Which pubs go on the list?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Love the Nelson, my match day pub, can't wait to get in there again.

William IV, Church St. Not so much a refurb as a total makeover. I like it, but it's pricey & a tad poncey. (Does this make me poncey?)

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013

William IV, Church St. Not so much a refurb as a total makeover. I like it, but it's pricey & a tad poncey. (Does this make me poncey?)

A real ponce wouldn’t ask so I guess your okay.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A

Ah yes, I’ve dunk in the William IV since it’s makeover. I liked it. It’s in the list.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Hiker's Rest has been smartly done up ... and now sells Harvey's

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t go drinking in Brighton a great deal these days but for special occasions. Well such an occasion occurred last night. We convened in The Lord Nelson on Trafalgar st.
I’d been a fan of the Nelson since my early days in Brighton back in ‘98 but had not been in there for getting on 5 years I think.
I think they’ve done a terrific job in there. It’s massive but still feels cosy. I was impressed.
So my point is, or rather my question, what other pubs have been refurbed for the better over the last few years, We are planning on doing a pub crawl around old/new pubs soon. Which pubs go on the list?

Be sure to end with some karaoke!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Hare And Hounds at Preston Circus got a major makeover fairly recently. Great selection of beers, but eye-wateringly expensive. The Joker across the road is a great alternative. Oh, and around that neck of the woods, the World's End and the former Branch Tavern have both had major makeovers recently and IMHO are much the better for it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
They've done a reasonable job on The Nelson, but one one big issue which I have mentioned to the landlord but he completely ignored is the piped music; they play a random stream of complete crap way too loud. I took some mates visiting Brighton in there and we left after one pint because we were having to shout over Little Mix.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Cobblers Thumb has had a complete makeover

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Love what they've done with the place #portacabins #ghetto #slumsofbrighton

cobblers.png

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Still a Harvey's house I trust? Is the Basketmakers still there, used to be a Gales pub where one could enjoy a cheeky HSB or several?

Basketmakers probably is my favourite pub, although I do like The Nelson too and still have a soft spot for The Evening Star. That said, I don't do pubs too much these days -- might be something to do with children, the ageing process, etc -- and the one thing I don't like about The Basketmakers is that it's a Gales pub.

Basketmakers probably is my favourite pub, although I do like The Nelson too and still have a soft spot for The Evening Star. That said, I don't do pubs too much these days -- might be something to do with children, the ageing process, etc -- and the one thing I don't like about The Basketmakers is that it's a Gales pub.

"Gales" in name only, brewed at Horndean no longer. Fullers took them over around 10 years ago. Forgot about the Evening Star, used to a nice variety of ales, does it still??

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fullers have ruined Dark Star. Be interesting to see what the evening standard do as I’ve heard they’ve noticed a drop in quality

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here